Personality Cafe banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is personality hereditary ?? Does personality related to genetics ?? Is there any study regarding this ??

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Both Jung and Myers believed that type was largely inborn, and decades of twin studies strongly suggest that genes account for around half (or more) of the kinds of relatively stable personality dimensions measured by the MBTI and Big Five. But the genetics is complicated: an introvert's identical twin brother would probably be an introvert, but they might have two extraverted parents.

The most counterintuitive conclusion that's been drawn from the cumulative data is that how your parents raise you has almost no influence on your basic temperament — e.g., whether you'll end up an INTJ. Identical twins raised in the same household are not significantly more alike (in terms of temperament) than identical twins raised in separate households.

For more, see this post.

·
Registered
10,848 Posts
I don’t believe so no

And I am actually saying that having a daughter who is infact ESTP (same as me)
She is a product of her dad (ESFP) and me (ESTP).
But her personality I do believe is inborn and she has shown most of the fundamentals of her overall temperament upon infancy in her developmental stages of growth. It’s a coincidence

For example I am the product of an INTJ mom and ENFP dad
I did grow up around more intuitives
I do not believe I am me in spite of nor in combination of my parents (they don’t even share the same functions as me)

I also have an xNFP daughter, she is the product of me and her ENFP dad
I don’t believe she was developed by influence of her dads type or in spite of mine she has shown her personality in developing stages for several years really

I guess that is my perception

I think it is a weird fluke my eldest is also ESTP not genetic or environmental

Even there let me stress her and I can be in someways extremely different
That goes into enneagram
Now enneagram I personally do think is some environmental and upbringing influence which comes into play
My daughter and I though we can relate in a few back stories also had different upbringings in both pro and con in both directions. My daughter has been raised with a lot more emphasis put on what I view as materialism from her paternal side (con), she has also had a lot more emotional support overall in the big picture of her life, that is mostly a pro but a bit a con because it plays into what I perceive as that giant 3 in her needing more external validation than myself, however when she is thriving she is extremely extremely effective in leadership and inspiration. I am way more of a 6/7 I have a deep need to try and prove myself in competence I struggle communicating my vulnerability more so than my daughter, and can be too self preserving and feel misunderstood. We are literally the same type and yet our external world focuses are so different coming from different places due to enneagram.

We have different ways in which we struggle with our inferior function (Ni as well) I suck at it because I can jump to false conclusions on people’s motives (she actually does not do that). She is absolutely horrible at thinking about consequences. Yes I can be impulsive but still Because of that fight or flight six thing and being hyper inproper paranoia use of Ni it means I can use it to gauge consequence in cause and effect, so this is also what can make be deadly when I am right and calling things dead on. I have to go on defense mode to get this way but if I start to keep observing the same pattern and questioning a persons intent you do not want to be on my bad side. Simply because my Ni is in Darth Vader mode, remember I have Ni so if you trigger me to use it and I start plotting with you I actually will fuck you up. Again enneagram it’s not first play it’s defense, again upbringing I was raised by an INTJ hence that calaculated use being available. I can tend to see set ups for liabilities staging scenes etc.

My daughter has none of that. I am the more so reserved but assertive while my daughter her inferior use of Ni is way more about terrible backlash. So me paranoid. Her equals more so underestimating the transparency in herself and cause and effect.

Also interestingly she is more so approachable and kind off the surface but can write people off quicker
Me less approachable off the surface but more tolerable under the surface

Actually ironically I believe my xNFP may fall closer to my enneagram so interestingly In demeanor I relate more so to my xNFP. Thought filtering etc though I relate more so to my ESTP

Anyways just the way the cookie crumbles with MBTI

But one thing I do believe the fact my eldest has ESTP + ESFP = Shit tons of Se
Is that in that regard her predominant parental upbringing is not as diverse. On one hand we are equipped to handle and relate however her direct predominant parental upbringing lacks coverage in other areas while it can completely support and enable some key areas (luckily she has extended family to help diversify her world perspective and add some other flavor)

·
Banned
4,831 Posts
No it's not, at least as an entire personality, as in your father's an ESTJ so you're an ESTJ.

Behavioural genetics requires environmental triggers to express and personality is the composite of a shit load of genes. Think of each gene as an on/off switch that requires something in the environment to turn it on. Now imagine a crap load of these on/of switches, supplied by two parents. The personality combinations would be endless.

In the situation of identical twins, the two usually have identical genes so if they're raised in similar environments, their on/off switches will likely be triggered in a similar manner.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Every genotype has a phenotype. If personality types are genetic then they should have a physical expression too right ??

1 - 5 of 5 Posts