Personality Cafe banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think most of us know how judging and perceiving functions are influenced by one's preference for J vs P. Does anyone have an idea as to why J vs P would influence one's judging vs perceiving functions?

How would a change over time in one function affect another? Is it possible for one to turn from INTP to INTJ? They are only one letter away, but the consequences of P->J actually means two functions are affected ("directionally").

Would it be more realistic for one to move from INTP->INFP?

Is it even possible to change from INTP->X, or would that be indicative of mistyping in the first place.

I don't really have a direct question here, just a hodgepodge of random thoughts. I guess to answer some of these questions, we would have to talk about:

1) Nature vs Nurture with respect to MBTI

2) The theory itself.
a) Perceiving and judging functions "direction" being outputs of one's preference of J vs P. Or vice versa.

b) The ability for one to strengthen one function to a level where it overtakes another, effectively changing their MBTI. Ex: INTP strengthening Fi to the point that it overtakes Ti. Is this possible?

c) With respect to one another, the relative effort it would take to strengthen/change judging functions vs perceiving functinos vs "structure". Intuition tells me the effort it would take would go something like Perceiving > Judging >= Structure.

Anyway, TLDR; confused about MBTI.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I can answer the 'how would a change over time affect one over the other' question.

I was an iNTJ for years then after some experiences, I became a little more open-minded and less judgemental.

Now I'm an iNTP.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Short answer is yes. Long answer would be breaking down all the functions in which INTJ's and INTP's are quite different, however every type utilizes all of the functions just to different extents and yes one can work on using specific functions more often. Not everyone will be flexible enough to completely change their type however but it's still possible for some. The people who usually get borderline or near even percentages with their functions will most likely find changing their type a lot easier.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
I think most of us know how judging and perceiving functions are influenced by one's preference for J vs P. Does anyone have an idea as to why J vs P would influence one's judging vs perceiving functions?

How would a change over time in one function affect another? Is it possible for one to turn from INTP to INTJ? They are only one letter away, but the consequences of P->J actually means two functions are affected ("directionally").

Would it be more realistic for one to move from INTP->INFP?

Is it even possible to change from INTP->X, or would that be indicative of mistyping in the first place.

I don't really have a direct question here, just a hodgepodge of random thoughts. I guess to answer some of these questions, we would have to talk about:

1) Nature vs Nurture with respect to MBTI

2) The theory itself.
a) Perceiving and judging functions "direction" being outputs of one's preference of J vs P. Or vice versa.

b) The ability for one to strengthen one function to a level where it overtakes another, effectively changing their MBTI. Ex: INTP strengthening Fi to the point that it overtakes Ti. Is this possible?

c) With respect to one another, the relative effort it would take to strengthen/change judging functions vs perceiving functinos vs "structure". Intuition tells me the effort it would take would go something like Perceiving > Judging >= Structure.

Anyway, TLDR; confused about MBTI.
I HIGHLY doubt one can break down his entire thought/logic/living process and change from something like INTP to INTJ. Changing Introverted Thinking to Extroverted Thinking is almost impossible for me, and then there's the rest. You can become a very strict, schedule-abiding INTP with practice but you will be an INTP.

Hypothetically, I think changing from INTP to ENTP would be easier. They're the same functions, just 1 and 2, and 3 and 4 are reversed.

·
Banned
7,396 Posts
Well, I can tell you that so far, it does not appear that anyone's been able to type me with 100% certainty.

Moreover, I distinctly remember using some "functions" (or cognitive processes that correspond to the descriptions of certain functions) which I appear to have exchanged for completely different ones, particularly after long-term severe stress. And yet my way of thinking/perceiving really has changed; and does seem to diverge in confounding ways depending on mental state. It's directly contradictory to itself, when compared over time.

I'm not going to say that MBTI theories and all their various chronological reinterpretations/revisions are complete nonsense; I don't have enough information to make that judgment, but empirically it seems to me that you can warp from one thing into another.

Most tests (and peoples' evaluations) point to me being INTP, some tests say J. If I tweak answers to be more consistent with childhood values/functions (presumably they do not change), I can be an INFP or INFJ. But if I do not process emotions nearly as much as before, nor can I relate to most F types, then it's not accurate to call myself that.

tldr; make shit up

·
Registered
93 Posts
As I have gotten older I have used SI more to look backwards and rely on SI as a basis for locig based decisions, however, I can't see myself ever being a E, J or an S. These would be counter-intuitive to my whole being. I have retested ENTP a couple of times, but I feelbim clearly an I, "awkward" is too kind to described interpersonal relations.

So, I'd say that everyone has a specturm, and you could be close to a particular pairing with life pushing you over (birth of a child, death of a loved one, etc.). But, I think that for most of us, we're still INTP, even if we have our moments as some other type. It doesn't last.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
From INTJ to INTP, I can't imagine a dramatic alteration in outlook would be this possible, but I suppose it can be. It certainly doesn't mean such new application of functions would be very good with such lack of experience. Over time you'll round yourself out anyway. I can't imagine abandoning the values/outlook of INTP, they just seem so sound. Sure they're not very practical and lead to a lot of frustration, but it's not dellusional. That's for sure. Well... maybe in certain circumstances it can be, but it's probably the most likely of types to be cognizant of this. Them and ISTPs.

Personally, I can't imagine the Dunning-Kruger effect working very well on INTPs in particular, but that could be a whole other discussion. I mean the only way they may be able to overestimate their abilities is if they were convinced of competency in a general sense. And it's extremely hard for me to believe that an INTP could be convinced of competency without overanalyzing the fuck out of it. They'll sacrifice sanity for legitimate validation. That's what I think at least.

I would much more prefer to harmonize a function with another one. For instance, I think Fe can resemble Te a lot if these feelings lead to the same conclusions as Te. It's just that the mechanism for arriving at the conclusion is backwards.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts