Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, let’s forget that MBTI has profiles. Second, expect to see slight alterations to the common model.

1. Concrete Perception – Sensory vs Abstract Perception – Intuitive

To understand the difference between concrete perception and abstract perception, you have to imagine that we simultaneously experience two interconnected realities. First is a sensory reality with concrete information that can be perceived via the use of the 5 senses. Everything you can see, hear, taste, smell and touch is sensory reality. Second is an intuitive reality with abstract information that can be perceived via the use of intuition. Everything you cannot see, hear, taste, smell or touch (concepts and ideas) is intuitive reality.

1.1 External Perception – Extraverted Perception vs Internal Perception – Introverted Perception

To understand the difference between external perception and internal perception, you have to keep the two simultaneous realities analogy in mind and then imagine that perception is a three stage process. First stage is an external process where you use your senses and intuition to gather information from the sensory and intuitive realities respectively. The second stage is an automatic one where you store the information you have gathered from both sensory and intuitive reality, into your memory palace. The third stage is an internal one where you use your intuition and senses to gather information from your memory palace.

1.2A External Sensory Perception – Extraverted Sensing (Se) vs Internal Sensory Perception – Introverted Sensing (Si)

Let’s contrast External Sensory Perception with Internal Sensory Perception, using the three stage model explained earlier. Here, External Sensory Perception will be referred to as Stage 1, and Internal Sensory Perception will be referred to as Stage 3. Stage 2 is an automatic one and will be explained as well.

Stage 1: At this stage, we use our senses to gather concrete information from concrete (sensory) reality. Examples of this are, the concrete information that you are seeing as you are exposed to the sight of this post, the concrete information that you hear when you are exposed to the sound a melody, the concrete information that you taste as you are exposed to the flavour of a strawberry, the concrete information that you smell when you are exposed to the aroma of coffee beans, and the concrete information that you touch as you are exposed to the texture of the keys on your keyboard. All of this is External Sensory Perception, aka Extraverted Sensing or Se.

Stage 2: This stage is automatic. Every time you gather concrete information from sensory reality, you store that concrete information in your memory palace, alongside the abstract information you gathered from intuitive reality. For example, the concrete information you’re seeing as you are exposed to the sight of this post is being stored in your memory palace, the concrete information you hear when you are exposed to the sound of a melody is stored in your memory palace, the concrete information you taste as you are exposed to the flavour of a strawberry is stored in your memory palace, the concrete information you smell when you are exposed to the aroma of coffee beans is stored in your memory palace, and the concrete information you’re touching as you are exposed to the texture of the keys on your keyboard is stored in your memory palace.

Stage 3: At this stage, we use our senses to gather concrete information from our memory palace. Examples of this are, when you recall the concrete information that you saw as you were exposed to the sight of the last paragraph, when you recall the concrete information that you heard when you were exposed to the sound of a melody, when you recall the concrete information that you tasted as you were exposed to the flavour of a strawberry, when you recall the concrete information that you smelled as you were exposed to the aroma of coffee beans, and when you recall the concrete information that you touched as you were exposed to the texture of the keys on your keyboard. All of this is Internal Sensory Perception, aka Introverted Sensing or Si.

1.2B External Intuitive Perception – Extraverted Intuition (Ne) vs Internal Intuitive Perception – Introverted Intuition (Ni)

Let’s contrast External Intuitive Perception with Internal Intuitive Perception, using the three stage model explained earlier. Here, External Intuitive Perception will be referred to as Stage 1, and Internal Intuitive Perception will be referred to as Stage 3. Stage 2 is an automatic one and will be explained as well.

Stage 1: At this stage, we use our intuition to gather abstract information from abstract (intuitive) reality. Examples of this are, the abstract information that you intuit as you are exposed to the sight of this post, the abstract information that you intuit when you are exposed to the sound of a melody, the abstract information that you intuit as you are exposed to the flavour of a strawberry, the abstract information that you intuit when you are exposed to the aroma of coffee beans, and the abstract information that you intuit as you are exposed to the texture of the keys on your keyboard. All of this is External Intuitive Perception, aka Extraverted Intuition or Ne.
“What am I intuiting?” You may wonder. The answer is that there is no concrete answer. You see, intuition – the power that allows us to perceive abstract reality (the abstract world), is naturally abstract itself. Think of it like this. Whatever information you are exposed to that you aren't, seeing, hearing, tasting, smelling or touching, you are intuiting.

Stage 2: This stage is automatic. Every time you gather abstract information from the intuitive world, you store that abstract information in your memory palace, alongside the concrete information you gathered from the sensory world. For example, the abstract information you’re intuiting as you are exposed to the sight of this post is being stored in your memory palace, the abstract information you intuit when you are exposed to the sound of a melody is stored in your memory palace, the abstract information you intuit as you are exposed to the flavour of a strawberry is stored in your memory palace, the abstract information you intuit when you are exposed to the aroma of coffee beans is stored in your memory palace, and the abstract information you intuit as you are exposed to the texture of the keys on your keyboard is stored in your memory palace.

Stage 3: At this stage, we use our intuition to gather abstract information from our memory palace. Examples of this are, when you recall the abstract information that you intuited as you were exposed to the sight of the last paragraph, when you recall the abstract information that you intuited when you were exposed to the sound of a melody, when you recall the abstract information that you intuited as you were exposed to the flavour of a strawberry, when you recall the abstract information that you intuited as you were exposed to the aroma of coffee beans, and when you recall the abstract information that you intuited as you were exposed to the texture of the keys on your keyboard. All of this is Internal Intuitive Perception, aka Introverted Intuition or Ni.

I'd love some feedback. Let me know if that has helped you understand between Se/Si/Ne/Ni. Also let me know if you're scratching your head thinking "What the hell is this dude on about?".
When I have the time and inspiration, I'll also attempt to explain judging functions in my own words.

·
Registered
ENFp-Fi (OP: Ne/Te); 2w1; LEVF
1,153 Posts
Isn't stage 2 a part of Si and Ni?
So that Ni stage 2 organises information in concepts, condensing all into one basic idea that you later expand to connect and recall in stage 3, while Si stage 2 just stores as much as possible adding more detail to existing compartment of information in your memory, for it to be used as bits of stored data just as they were saved.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Isn't stage 2 a part of Si and Ni?
So that Ni stage 2 organises information in concepts, condensing all into one basic idea that you later expand to connect and recall in stage 3, while Si stage 2 just stores as much as possible adding more detail to existing compartment of information in your memory, for it to be used as bits of stored data just as they were saved.
Off of the standard model, stage 2 would indeed be Si/Ni, but I disagree with it. To me, intuition, whether it be extraverted or introverted, is the same in the sense that it's job is to gather abstract information. The difference lies in where it gathers that information from. If Ne gathers abstract information from outside of us, Ni gathers information from inside of us. We could argue that committing something to memory as an internal process as our memory palace exists inside of us, and therefore it's a sub-function of Ni. We could, however, also argue that committing something to memory is an external process as the information being stored is coming from the outside in, and there's it's a sub-function of Ne.
The same can be said for sensing.

Both assumptions seem to confuse the functions though. It makes more sense that committing something to memory is an intermediary process that happens automatically as you expose yourself to information. The more you expose yourself to the same information, the more familiar it becomes. You can expose yourself to the information again by using Ni/Si or Ne/Se.
Ni/Si, by recalling the information from your memory palace i.e. repeating a story from memory, or Ne/Se by repeatedly exposing yourself to the exernal source i.e. reading a story over and over again.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Off of the standard model, stage 2 would indeed be Si/Ni, but I disagree with it. To me, intuition, whether it be extraverted or introverted, is the same in the sense that it's job is to gather abstract information. The difference lies in where it gathers that information from. If Ne gathers abstract information from outside of us, Ni gathers information from inside of us. We could argue that committing something to memory as an internal process as our memory palace exists inside of us, and therefore it's a sub-function of Ni. We could, however, also argue that committing something to memory is an external process as the information being stored is coming from the outside in, and there's it's a sub-function of Ne.
The same can be said for sensing.

Both assumptions seem to confuse the functions though. It makes more sense that committing something to memory is an intermediary process that happens automatically as you expose yourself to information. The more you expose yourself to the same information, the more familiar it becomes. You can expose yourself to the information again by using Ni/Si or Ne/Se.
Ni/Si, by recalling the information from your memory palace i.e. repeating a story from memory, or Ne/Se by repeatedly exposing yourself to the exernal source i.e. reading a story over and over again.
The reason I associated commiting something to memory with Ni and Si is because the definitions made by many people do so too. Some of them claiming to be official, valid, some not, but most fairly reasonable.
It makes sense to me because how your SORT your own memory is an internal process, while the intermediate bit of information conversion and SENDING from outside to inside is so short and generic that it's irrelevant.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The reason I associated commiting something to memory with Ni and Si is because the definitions made by many people do so too. Some of them claiming to be official, valid, some not, but most fairly reasonable.
It makes sense to me because how your SORT your own memory is an internal process, while the intermediate bit of information conversion and SENDING from outside to inside is so short and generic that it's irrelevant.
Committing something to memory isn't the same as sorting through information you have already committed to memory.

Think of it like this.
Ne/Se = Buying groceries(Perceiving external information)
Committing something to memory = Bringing the groceries into your home(from external world into your memory palace)
Ni/Si = Neatly putting things away into cupboards.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Committing something to memory isn't the same as sorting through information you have already committed to memory.

Think of it like this.
Committing something to memory = Bringing the groceries into your home(from external world into your memory palace)
Ni/Si = Neatly putting things away into cupboards.
Committing something to memory = Bringing the groceries into your home(from external world into your memory palace) (Which is why I claimed this is so short it's irrelevant to mention when talking about perception functions.
Ni/Si = Neatly putting things away into cupboards. AND reusing it, resorting it to generate sense/usefullness of what you've got.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts