Personality Cafe banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Banned
3,145 Posts
that we're shallow, superficial and not intelligent (as Ss)...
as for ISFPs, well, honestly not enough is even said about ISFPs in the first place.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Stereotypes don't really annoy me as I know that they are just stereotypes and not a lot more, and I think most others do as well.

Reactions: Aelthwyn and Kabosu

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
ESFJs are usually seen as shallow, more stuck in their ways, obsessive controlling, guilt manipulative mother types. o_O They go with the masses, are conformist, etc. I've seen them portrayed as selfish and backstabbing as well. Many people complain about them due to Fe, but then why not complain about other Fe-types? There's serious issues with this stereotype. Those bad qualities don't just belong to an ESFJ -- unhealthy or not.

ISTJs are all tradition and perfectionist.

ENFPs are bubbly, enthusiastic, and high strung. Y'know, take a really extroverted type Seven and there's your ENFP. Intelligent, perhaps, but always for new experiences and smiley, etc. But they have awesome insights and brilliant ideas. They should all go marry INTJs (lol jk).

^ While this may be the case for some ENFPs and it's not "bad", really, as stereotypes go... I simply do not relate. We're not all bubbly and enthusiastic and high strung. Especially not all the time -- there are times when somebody would describe me as enthusiastic. Some people talk about ENFPs "tiring them out" because we're all so talkative and full of energy. I talk and listen equally. I am full of energy quite a bit, but I am pretty dang reserved in how I show it.

ESFPs are ENFPs without the depth. Ditsy and high school girl-ish. Or action-y guyish. No room for interest in psychology there.

The list goes on...

·
Registered
Me
1,687 Posts
David Keirsey* needs a good slap in my opinion...not that im advocating violence being as how im probably a feeler type and yknow....we dont do violence or conflict.

*Actually I used to just not like his theory, but after seeing his money grabbing website im a little indignant.

·
Registered
Me
1,687 Posts
I'm more annoyed by people willing to accept positive stereotypes, but not the negative. All types have negative traits whether we like it or not. The refusal to accept this makes the whole theory pretty pointless.
This too. Great point and one I hold myself.

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
I hate this dumb stereotype that sensors don't think. It's like saying intuitives are completely unaware of the real world. We're perfectly capable of day dreaming and in fact we do it just as much as any other type, it's not a type-exclusive thing. We just think about different things.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
The idea that I am this flowery, fairy, nature child that is just too precious for this world kind of chafes at times. Especially when it some how turns out that I am not as "masculine" as other men and that my type is somehow more feminine then others. I'm a lot more durable then that. That being said I actually think MBTI has a lot of good things attached to types as well. It's nowhere near as bad as Ennenagram and Sloan is to their participants.

·
MOTM July 2012
8,033 Posts
there is this stereotype that F = emotion and that any F type is controlled by emotion and therefore incapable of thinking rationally. it is a complete misconception about the nature of feeling and thinking. in reality, emotion is a human trait (not confined to F types) and the term "feeling," as used in MBTI theory, is more related to values than it is to emotion. any type can think logically; that is not confined to T types. T and F vary in what they prioritize when they evaluate or decide...not in capacity for logic. and we F types can be very logical and very emotional simultaneously. i'm highly emotional by nature, but, as an INFJ engineer, after all....i have to be logical. lol

also, some INFJ descriptions are so idealized that we are made out to be some sort of angels. this is troubling because it is so false. INFJs are no different from anyone else - we are just ordinary people - and no people are perfect. we really do care about other people's feelings and make decisions to protect others due to Fe, this can lead to self-sacrifice on behalf of others, and compassion comes naturally, but this doesn't make us angels. i can't speak for everyone else, but as an INFJ i make just as many mistakes as anyone else...and, sure, there are some INFJs who are heroically unselfish, compassionate, and loving; but there are some people of every personality type who could be described that way; that does not define a personality type, but rather a set of life choices. what comes naturally (by default brain settings) does not dictate what people become - what people become is a result of the choices they make, and people can go against their natural instincts. the misconceptions need to be set aside...there is no reason for the INFJ type to be put up on a pedestal.

1 - 20 of 124 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.