Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is one of those awareness things where we complain about stuff we hate and people read them and complain about stuff they hate and we all realize that something needs to be done about all this nonsense in the process.

To people who want to post: This benefits you because you can vent here.

To people who just want to read: This benefits you because you can understand more about how these stereotypes absolutely suck, and also other people's thoughts on them. Also, it might make you change your mind and you decide you want to post as well.

I'll start with a basic list. Keep in mind that -

These are stereotypes i HATE.
So don't think i'm saying that they're true, and don't take offense. Please. No offense to anybody.

ESTJ - the boss who never lets you do what you want and is not fun at all
ISTJ - the good, old responsible person who is really boring
ESFJ - gossips who are very stereotypical based on their gender, age, and culture
ISFJ - the quiet people who nobody notices - or cares about
ESTP - the reckless and irresponsible souls who burn schools down on Friday nights
ISTP - the people who can be called upon to fix your tires and are otherwise not really interesting
ESFP - party-ers who make stupid decisions and are on an eternal sugar rush
ISFP - those individualistic people who carve out moose heads to prove how special they are
ENTP - the geeks who think they are so cool just because they know their Call of Duty strategies
INTP - the ones who would seem more like Einstein if they showered more frequently
ENTJ - ruthless war chiefs who would bomb any country they wish, and with no mercy
INTJ - condescending geniuses who make plans to overtake the world in their free time
ENFJ - the "perfect" type
INFJ - the mysterious psychics who know your thought before you even think it. Oh, and the "cool" and "rare" ones.
ENFP - those chatterboxes who annoy the heck out of you with the sheer amount of things they say
INFP - people who write romance poems whenever they see a sweet bf/gf scene in a movie

Really.

Now, if you were offended reading about your own type...

I'm sorry. I didn't want to offend anyone, but honestly, a lot of these are true - there are people out there who stereotype you that way. But the good news are, it doesn't have to be like this forever.

You are more than welcome to rant all you want in the space below, and without further ado...

Let the fight against MBTI stereotypes commence!

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
I agree, the ENFP stereotype should be that ENFP are like rainbows and unicorns who you just want to hug to pieces. Seriously though I agree with your list. I hate INTJ being condescending assholes and I hate people trying to be one to fit the stereotype.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm tired of the stereotype that ENTPs are always debating.
Or ranting. My friends think i'm ENTP just because i rant when i need to vent, and they think i do it well.

the ESFJ mother stereotype (for females) because honestly, just NO.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
The ESFP as crazy, coke-snorting party animal myth is probably the most pernicious. I've always gotten a sense that ESFPs are probably the most misunderstood type. The ones I know act professional and are loyal to their families. I think a lot of these myths are more about maturity vs immaturity than about type.

·
Registered
244 Posts
For some reason people think ISFJs like to bake cookies for everyone?? I don't understand this, I don't even bake. Also, even though I'm a Fe user I'm not always comfortable with expressing my feelings to people, even to my loved ones like family and friends (maybe I'm too shy). Oh and I can be rude sometimes (even though I regret it later). These stereotypes made me confused at some point and I was in doubt if I was ISFJ or ISTJ. Now I'm sure I'm an ISFJ though.

People need to stop saying ISTJs are cold, boring and "robots". I know a few ISTJs, including my dad, and they can be very funny when they want to, and very sentimental as well. ISTJs are honestly one of my favourite types, because they're so dedicated in what they do it inspires me to be a more responsible person.

Stop saying sensors are stupid and can't have a nice conversation. Oh the amount of intuitives who labels every "stupid" person as a sensor. "He only talks about cars and women, he must be a sensor" "She only talks about parties and makeup, she must me a sensor". NOPE. I'm a sensor and I LOVE deep conversation, I love hearing your opinion on different topics, I enjoy discussing theories.

NOT ALL SJs ARE ANNOYING ROBOTS WHO WANT TO BOSS AROUND TELLING EVERYONE WHAT THEY SHOULD DO. Just accept it.

Being a feeler does not mean you can never be logical and does not mean you only make stupid decisions.

·
Registered
244 Posts
The ESFP as crazy, coke-snorting party animal myth is probably the most pernicious. I've always gotten a sense that ESFPs are probably the most misunderstood type. The ones I know act professional and are loyal to their families. I think a lot of these myths are more about maturity vs immaturity than about type.
My mom is ESFP and she's definitely not a party animal. She doesn't even go to parties, and she never drinks alcoholic drinks. She's dedicated to her family and she is very talented at the things she does, making money out of them.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I hate the stereotype about INTP is all about science because I'm an architect and I appreciate arts like painting, music, fashion design, and I even love drawing mangas. I even love writting stories (though I prefer the non-romantic one. Historical or science-fiction more like it)

There are some art-appreciating INTPs too. It's not just INFP and ISFP who can be artists.

Also, I love philosophy. I hate it when the N types are said to be just impractical. Often, if not always, when I talk about new ideas people will just stop listening to me and continue with whatever they are talking about.

But mostly, I hate it when people said something along this line: "You are an INTP, therefore, you can't be emotional!" or, "You're being emotional. Are you sure you're INTP?" For gods sake PLEASE don't equate being emotional with 'making a judgment based on ethics and morality' (Fe type). I might be emotional (though I don't explode) when my judgement, which based on logic and truth, being dissed by some assholes who don't even know what they are talking about, or some trolls who troll just for the sake of being trolls.

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
For some reason people think ISFJs like to bake cookies for everyone?? I don't understand this, I don't even bake. Also, even though I'm a Fe user I'm not always comfortable with expressing my feelings to people, even to my loved ones like family and friends (maybe I'm too shy). Oh and I can be rude sometimes (even though I regret it later). These stereotypes made me confused at some point and I was in doubt if I was ISFJ or ISTJ. Now I'm sure I'm an ISFJ though.
The socionics definition of Fe is way better. In socionics part of Fe is "espressing enthusiasm". I think one of the main differences between Fe and Fi is that Fe types prefer to only share positive emotions because they don't want to create a negative atmosphere and burden others with their problems. It can be quite hilarious. A friend of mine ran a meet-up that was basically a group therapy and all the Fe-ers would refuse to speak about their problems, saying that they don't want to take up the group's time. LOL, this was one of the best opportunities they'll ever have to talk about their problems and they didn't want to because according to them "it's not what you do in a group."

Do you find that you also do not express positive emotions, e.g. you do not talk about your likes and interests?

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey those stereotypes are to soft ! :laughing:
Lol, i didn't want to start it off THAT hard. But if you want to come up with a list of more annoying ones so we can all protest about them, feel free! :proud:

·
Registered
ENTP 3w4 so/sx
2,859 Posts
Exxx

Extroversion ≠ being social

I'm an antisocial extrovert. Yes, I exist.
Exactly! I agree completely. Cognitively, I'm an extrovert. However, while not completely antisocial - I wouldn't say I'm always social. Does Ne need to be social?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts