Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think people who made this video just took the test and that´s it. I wouldn´t describe it as "simple" The test in the main page is just the tip of the iceberg. Though each person has his/her personality and all of them are complex on their own, I think the test does help you realize a lot of things you took for granted in terms of how your thinking system works. The test doesn´t talk about cognitive functions in depth, and that´s a whoole world of information about each type.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Everyone who says the MBTI is bullshit always has this smug tone and they always make the same arguments that it's vague and positive and about as legit as horoscopes. It's so annoying because I haven't seen ANYONE who's really into it say it's 100% accurate and shouldn't be questioned! They're arguing against something that nobody actually thinks.

And they always gloss over the most important and legitimate aspect: the cognitive functions themselves. Even this video only mentioned them briefly.

As for the stuff about the results always being positive, I don't even know why that's an issue. What would they prefer the test to say? "You're an ESTJ and you suck." ??? If people read up on their type, they'll find there are plenty of negative traits addressed. I've become so much more aware of my own weaknesses/flaws since getting into typology and that wouldn't have happened if typology was all fairies and unicorns like they're trying to paint it as.

I don't take typology and MBTI as gospel but I have found it an extremely useful tool to use occasionally in difficult relationships/situations. It really does seem like these people do the bare minimum amount of research and then go around, staying ignorant but acting superior.

·
Registered
621 Posts
And they always gloss over the most important and legitimate aspect: the cognitive functions themselves.
I can agree with you that most people don't seem to believe that the MBTI is accurate, and that you don't have to wholeheartedly agree with a theory in order to apply it, but I think that you're making a mistake in conflating MBTI with cognitive functions.

The MBTI was created by building on Jung's functions, but the test itself doesn't work to determine functions, and the profiles don't seem to take them into consideration either (I mean, the profiles are quite ambiguous, so I'm sure you can spot some functions here and there if you tried). A lot of people place more trust in cognitive functions than in the MBTI, possibly because the MBTI is based more on behaviour and preferences, which are malleable, and cognitive functions are helpful in that being aware of your own thinking processes and that of others' can help you to understand their thinking better and can help you to better communicate with somebody who thinks differently to you. Your reasoning as to why the MBTI is helpful seems to be standing on cognitive functions.

Personally, I don't think that the MBTI is entirely useless, even if I believe it can only used for categorizing personalities (and maybe being a good starting point for becoming more self-aware). There's something to the I/E and J/P preferences, especially the latter (as long as you ignore all that stereotypical "Js are tidy and punctual, Ps are messy" bullshit, because I don't see a correlation there).

I also think the people who made the video exaggerated the simplicity of Myers-Briggs.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
If you spend any amount of time talking to, say, INTJs and ENFPs then it is pretty obvious that the people who get these respective sets of results are radically different, and in pretty consistent ways. MBTI may not be 100% accurate all the time, but it is important to understanding what makes different people different. People like to bring up a lack of consistency in tested type and then try to infer that the type you get is arbitrary, which it really isn't.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I can agree with you that most people don't seem to believe that the MBTI is accurate, and that you don't have to wholeheartedly agree with a theory in order to apply it, but I think that you're making a mistake in conflating MBTI with cognitive functions.

The MBTI was created by building on Jung's functions, but the test itself doesn't work to determine functions, and the profiles don't seem to take them into consideration either (I mean, the profiles are quite ambiguous, so I'm sure you can spot some functions here and there if you tried). A lot of people place more trust in cognitive functions than in the MBTI, possibly because the MBTI is based more on behaviour and preferences, which are malleable, and cognitive functions are helpful in that being aware of your own thinking processes and that of others' can help you to understand their thinking better and can help you to better communicate with somebody who thinks differently to you. Your reasoning as to why the MBTI is helpful seems to be standing on cognitive functions.

Personally, I don't think that the MBTI is entirely useless, even if I believe it can only used for categorizing personalities (and maybe being a good starting point for becoming more self-aware). There's something to the I/E and J/P preferences, especially the latter (as long as you ignore all that stereotypical "Js are tidy and punctual, Ps are messy" bullshit, because I don't see a correlation there).

I also think the people who made the video exaggerated the simplicity of Myers-Briggs.
Personally, I just use MBTI types as nicknames for function stacks. Shorthand. I know that's not what it is or what it's for, and that it's useful on its own without looking into cognitive functions themselves but I find knowing the functions so much more useful than MBTI that I just skip the MBTI's own merits in my head and go straight to the functions, and I forget that not everyone else does the same.

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
If there was nothing to it, surely the Fortune 500 companies etc would have wised up by now.

·
Registered
70 Posts
As for the stuff about the results always being positive, I don't even know why that's an issue. What would they prefer the test to say? "You're an ESTJ and you suck."
You obviously haven't read the ESTJ descriptions.

But the worst offender was an INTP/ISTP description along the lines:

INTP = Nobel-prize winners
ISTP = criminals

Where do you see yourself more? Hmmm?

Turi said:
If there was nothing to it, surely the Fortune 500 companies etc would have wised up by now.
Oh no, not the Fortune-500. We have to blindly follow cooperations like sheep, because they are always right. They never make any bad decision, that’s why only half of them exist any more. Oh wait, I looked it up, there are only 12% that survived. A failure rate of 90%, if this does not scream success, what does?

What sort of logical fallacy is this even, appeal to failure?

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
Oh no, not the Fortune-500. We have to blindly follow cooperations like sheep, because they are always right. They never make any bad decision, that’s why only half of them exist any more. Oh wait, I looked it up, there are only 12% that survived. A failure rate of 90%, if this does not scream success, what does?

What sort of logical fallacy is this even, appeal to failure?
I'd absolutely love to hear your reasoning - how can only 12% of Fortune 500 companies exist, when the list changes every year?

I understand where you got the statistic, however it's in relation to how many Fortune 500 companies made it from the 1955 list to the 2016 list.
It's an irrelevant and misleading statistic.

Fortune 500 companies represent two-thirds of the U.S. GDP with $12 trillion in revenues, $890 billion in profits, $19 trillion in market value, and employ 28.2 million people worldwide.

The MBTI is used by more than 88 percent of Fortune 500 companies in 115 countries, according to CPP.

·
Registered
ISTJ
2,438 Posts
Yeah, I'm sorta gonna have to bash on INxx angels again for this one. But I do think they are massively responsible for the MBTI being taken as a joke, because they tend to run with their results, and start emo blogs on how different and misunderstood they are from society.

So other more day to day, grounded types who see this (Mainly STs) assume that the MBTI is some sort of kiddie cult like anime or indie hipster music.

Real (or mature) INxx types know how to keep an objective eye on the MBTI and explain to sensors in laymen's terms. At which point people can actually see its validity.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Yeah, I'm sorta gonna have to bash on INxx angels again for this one. But I do think they are massively responsible for the MBTI being taken as a joke, because they tend to run with their results, and start emo blogs on how different and misunderstood they are from society.

So other more day to day, grounded types who see this (Mainly STs) assume that the MBTI is some sort of kiddie cult like anime or indie hipster music.

Real (or mature) INxx types know how to keep an objective eye on the MBTI and explain to sensors in laymen's terms. At which point people can actually see its validity.
Do not even get me started on the anime cult stuff. While I do like some manga/anime, the people who take it too seriously, the Otakus, it seems like they are in competition with each other to see who is the biggest weirdo and social outcast just for the sake of it. Instead of improving their lives, when they cluster together they find acceptance so they grow ever farther and farther away of being able to lift themselves up.

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
From an academic and research perspective...yes, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have value for people at the individual level. From my perspective, it's fun to think about, but when applying a system to learn about myself it doesn't make the grade. I'm a much bigger fan of strengths from positive psychology. With that being stated, I'm not going to rain on somebody's parade if it helps them.

·
Banned
354 Posts
MBTI is meaningless, yet the Big Five personality model is well-researched and accepted by psychologists as completely valid. The differences between MBTI and the Big Five are very slight (I think the only meaningful one is N vs S which isn't captured all that well by Big Five). It's at least 80-90% accurate.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts