Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At what age does your MBTI type really begin to show? In my youth I didn't really display any traits that I would end up having later. I didn't realize I was an introvert, nor that I used intuition until around 15. Around 15 my introversion began to show, along with my pretty insane use of N in subjects like philosophy/astronomy.

Do you guys have similar stories? I'm thinking around adolescence is when this type of personality should come out because you begin to have a more solid understanding of the world around you. Hormones and puberty could be a contributing factor also.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
That's not typology (interests, not knowing that you're an introvert, etc.). People have the personality they will have for the rest of their lives by about age 6, after the period of extremely rapid learning - if they didn't, they would be mentally unstable. Maybe you just started to explore your identity more then, so it became more evident to you.

Reactions: Owfin

·
Registered
46 Posts
When I was 14, I took the MTBI and scored ESTJ. Two years later, after some traumatic social incidents in high school, I scored INFP. I've tested consistently as INFP for the past 5 years now...

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I was always an ISFJ.

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,319 Posts
I feel like I've always been pretty much the same. When I think about how I was in gradeschool I was quite INFP-like.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I'd think it's about somewhere in the teenage years where your type starts becoming apparent to yourself and to others. With adolescence is more of a development of a self-concept. Sometimes it is pretty hard even into early adulthood, where more independent life experience will show more of your preferences as distinct from others.

But we can and often do show some signs of our type much earlier than that, though not in ways you may expect. Like, I didn't even show up as a classic extraverted kid: I was quiet and watched from the sidelines a lot. But that wasn't the whole story... I remember now things like how horrible wall-style time outs were for me sheerly because the boredom from the lack of stimulation was intolerable almost instantaneously, and following cameras around at sporting events because I thought that I'd be "discovered" and become famous. I was pretty intuitive when I wasn't flipped inside out by some meltdown-like scenario...... like even as early as 4 I had some strangely N tendencies: knowing school (and even a stack of coupons) as a way of potential and escape, an ongoing thing with seeing some strange lights out my window and nearly actually saying that it had to mean something, a game I played where I knew some plastic apples were plastic but I kept insisting that they were real because they could be real apples despite their apparent plasticyness (I don't think any one else understood my game and thought that since I was so young I really didn't know they were fake.....).

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think for MBTI, you're pretty much as you as since you're young? Or should be, since it's supposedly more about the way your brain thinks, and there's that sort of basic personality function even in babies. If anything it almost should be more obvious when you're younger than when you're older, since as you get older, you'll start to develop functions that aren't your preferred functions more, but as a child, you're more likely to simply act as you would be naturally inclined to.

But testing is another matter-- I'd think it's pretty difficult for a child or sometimes even a teenager to use a test to objectively determine their own personality, because they don't always have an accurate perception of themselves until they're older (well, some people always have trouble with it, but usually it's easier as you get older).

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Eh, I wouldn't really use the "teenager/college age discovering yourself" excuse, personally - most of that is based on persona more than anything truly related to personality (e.g. those teenagers who are all obsessed with finding where they fit in, etc. - this is definitely in the realm of persona - personality should always be there no matter what - I'm a teenager and never had many issues finding my type). Children on the other hand, I think, should definitely stay away from this stuff - after all the aux. function doesn't usually develop until around adolescence - it's way too abstract for kids to handle - I don't see why the would even need it anyway. As for teenagers, it's up to them whether or not they want to be honest with themselves. The 15+ crowd should be mature enough to handle this stuff imo. Hell, the collegeboard website even has an MBTI test to give you insight into your career strengths and such. That's how I discovered this stuff in the first place.

Reactions: electricky

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Eh, I wouldn't really use the "teenager/college age discovering yourself" excuse, personally - most of that is based on persona more than anything truly related to personality (e.g. those teenagers who are all obsessed with finding where they fit in, etc. - this is definitely in the realm of persona - personality should always be there no matter what - I'm a teenager and never had many issues finding my type). Children on the other hand, I think, should definitely stay away from this stuff - after all the aux. function doesn't usually develop until around adolescence - it's way too abstract for kids to handle - I don't see why the would even need it anyway. As for teenagers, it's up to them whether or not they want to be honest with themselves. The 15+ crowd should be mature enough to handle this stuff imo. Hell, the collegeboard website even has an MBTI test to give you insight into your career strengths and such. That's how I discovered this stuff in the first place.
Of course type is there way before adolescence.... but I thought we were all talking about at what age our type is apparent to ourselves? Children don't have that developed aux. function, and don't have that level of "not everyone is like me" understanding that fully comes to play from 12-20ish, which makes child typing difficult even somewhat in retrospect.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts