Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a thought, do you guys ever feel the need to conform to your particular type?
Like if you found out you're an ENFP, and the description fits you on the whole but there are some characteristics explained by the MBTI description that don't necessarily match you, so, in the future, have you ever found yourself attempting to be the ideal of your type but attempting to emulate those characteristics?
I can say that I have done it a few times to be honest, just wondering if you guys ever noticed yourselves doing this too.

Sorry if this is a really crappy post. (I feel a bit intimidated posting in this forum for some reason, haha.)

·
Registered
6,264 Posts
Not really. For example, one of the ESTP stereotypes is that they're a bunch of jocks. I haven't been to the gym in ages and I'm still not going.

Reactions: constellates

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Just a thought, do you guys ever feel the need to conform to your particular type?
Like if you found out you're an ENFP, and the description fits you on the whole but there are some characteristics explained by the MBTI description that don't necessarily match you, so, in the future, have you ever found yourself attempting to be the ideal of your type but attempting to emulate those characteristics?
I can say that I have done it a few times to be honest, just wondering if you guys ever noticed yourselves doing this too.

Sorry if this is a really crappy post. (I feel a bit intimidated posting in this forum for some reason, haha.)
I do it subconsciously, but it's probably an Ne/Si thing. I've noticed that I have a tendency to conform to expectations over time--I wouldn't be surprised if I was not an ENFP. I mean, I am, but like, in the past, I've conformed to other expectations. I actually wrote about this in one of my posts.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hmm, no.

I enjoy bathing once every blue moon, if I became a hippie I wouldn't be able to anymore and might start looking(more) like that stoner kid that talks to animals from scooby doo. I do like and engage in various forms of art, but I don't paint which is the quintessential ISFP thing. I hate exercise even though I'm innately fairly close to mediocre when it comes to sports and I'll die before I consciously become a hipster, I only do it unconsciously, like smacking people on the butt; it's a nervous tic, I swear.

So, I fail at conforming to my type for the most part. I don't really want to fit/fit many of the ISFP stereotypes which is why I originally thought I was either an ISTP, INFP, or INTP(note: no ISFP in sight).

I think it's actually probably not so much that I don't want to be an ISFP('cause why not, you know? I mean who wants to be a personality type other than their own??), more like I am just not trying to be much of anything, because I you know; hate trying in general.

Good thread, not at all crappy.:happy: I have noticed some people doing that sort of thing though.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've felt that I've become more self-aware at times, and how this relates to my type (INFJ) and if I do, say or think somethng, I just thik to myself "oh, that was so INFJ or Ni" or whatever. maybe for some people it can be a subconscious self-fulfilling prophecy

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think it's actually probably not so much that I don't want to be an ISFP('cause why not, you know? I mean who wants to be a personality type other than their own??), more like I am just not trying to be much of anything, because I you know; hate trying in general.

Good thread, not at all crappy.:happy: I have noticed some people doing that sort of thing though.
I love the "hate trying in general" hahaha.

Thank you! I was so nervous starting a post on here haha.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've felt that I've become more self-aware at times, and how this relates to my type (INFJ) and if I do, say or think somethng, I just thik to myself "oh, that was so INFJ or Ni" or whatever. maybe for some people it can be a subconscious self-fulfilling prophecy
Oh yes, I forgot about the self-fulfilling prophecy. Hmm, makes a lot more sense now. Thank you!

·
Banned
5,877 Posts
Agreed on the 'self-fulfilling prophecy' aspect.

I don't have to try because it comes naturally to me and I catch myself thinking 'Oh, that has to be Ni' or 'Oh wow, how stereotypical of me'. If anything, I do the opposite! I might scan every smallest and apparently insignificant thing I've done and try to find some kind of hidden connection with MBTI/Enneagram theory to increase my self awareness. Even doing so right now! Thinking how Fe is it to be socializing online even while slowly getting ready for a night out (rinse and repeat after the fun!)

One thing I'm guilty of, instead, is wondering whether other people can see it and modeling myself around the best and most fitting type qualities I own, often by replicating their own idea of what a certain type looks and acts like. Very 3w2 of me, it seems!

·
Registered
405 Posts
I (hope) I don't do it anymore, but I did it in the past when tried to find out other things about myself, so I have thought about it.

Taking apart your own personality traits and behavior is very difficult. People don't normally pay attention to all these little aspects of their actions like how they perceive things, how they got this particular idea or don't try to separate their morality from thinking. That's not necessary at all.
When people try to identify their own traits, they start to pay attention to them, but the real traits are still unknown, and it causes various problems.

In my case it's like this:
I automatically pick one more or less fitting type and want to confirm if it's truly about me. I must compare the description with my traits, but I'm still not sure what to compare and how to compare and where to look for things to compare, so I may end up trying to do things the way I read in the type description not because I want to act like the stereotypical representative of the type, but because I become too absorbed in finding those traits in me.
I also switch to self-monitoring mode where I always observe my actions, reactions, perceptions, feelings etc and try to find connections between them, and actually this state brings more harm than good because I end up thinking about what I do more than I really do things.

That's why when I decided to look into my MBTI and enneagram types I first answered a couple of questionnaires for my own future reference and only then started to read. At least I had a bunch of unbiased answers, even though they may be a little off topic.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Agreed on the 'self-fulfilling prophecy' aspect.

I don't have to try because it comes naturally to me and I catch myself thinking 'Oh, that has to be Ni' or 'Oh wow, how stereotypical of me'. If anything, I do the opposite! I might scan every smallest and apparently insignificant thing I've done and try to find some kind of hidden connection with MBTI/Enneagram theory to increase my self awareness. Even doing so right now! Thinking how Fe is it to be socializing online even while slowly getting ready for a night out (rinse and repeat after the fun!)

One thing I'm guilty of, instead, is wondering whether other people can see it and modeling myself around the best and most fitting type qualities I own, often by replicating their own idea of what a certain type looks and acts like. Very 3w2 of me, it seems!
I feel like screaming, oh my god, you guys are all me, I think the exact same things and I overly exaggerate my INFP characteristics sometimes or always correlate every tiny mannerism to my type. This is astounding, knowing so many of us do the same things in similar ways, I really never expected it, I thought I was the only absurd, obsessed one.

I think you can tell I'm very overwhelmed right now.

·
Banned
5,877 Posts
I feel like screaming, oh my god, you guys are all me, I think the exact same things and I overly exaggerate my INFP characteristics sometimes or always correlate every tiny mannerism to my type. This is astounding, knowing so many of us do the same things in similar ways, I really never expected it, I thought I was the only absurd, obsessed one.

I think you can tell I'm very overwhelmed right now.
Haha yes, I can tell! :)

It shouldn't be so surprising, after all wanting to live up to expectations is a human thing.
The only thing that varies is our reasons to! Thinkers might want it to validate their own theories and reasoning, Ne users easily get excited and inspired by things they obsess over and Fe users want acceptance and to fit in.

Of course I'm overly simplifying the concept but when you're new to the theory or particularly self inquiring, it's so easy for your mind to wander back and forth typology and functions! Some people get carried away but usually, it's a gorgeous way to see how similar we can all be despite our very own peculiarities.

·
Banned
21,040 Posts
Haha yes, I can tell! :)

It shouldn't be so surprising, after all wanting to live up to expectations is a human thing.
The only thing that varies is our reasons to! Thinkers might want it to validate their own theories and reasoning, Ne users easily get excited and inspired by things they obsess over and Fe users want acceptance and to fit in.

Of course I'm overly simplifying the concept but when you're new to the theory or particularly self inquiring, it's so easy for your mind to wander back and forth typology and functions! Some people get carried away but usually, it's a gorgeous way to see how similar we can all be despite our very own peculiarities.
Everyone listen to this woman. She knows what she's talking about.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts