Personality Cafe banner

21 - 40 of 249 Posts

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Just the way that the strengths and weaknesses are listed makes it hard for me to take this seriously. I could be wrong, but at a glance this looks like it relies excessively on extrapolations of behaviour and a fairly shallow application of MBTI. The SJ and SP descriptions at the top also sounded questionably simplistic and belittling in contrast to the Ns, as if those types aren't even quite understood.
NFs are extremely simplistic too: loving and caring ? Affectionate ? Communicative ? Don't all people do that stuff ?
When you look at NT though: highly intelligent, imaginative and creative, excellent with money.
As I read it NFs make excellent housewifes/husbands, wonderful, yet another heavily biased MBTI "thing", for lack of better word. Meh.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Although it looks thorough, no sources are cited. Where are these numbers coming from? I imagine the NTs might be on the short end of the education spectrum (really, settle for an associates?), because many might be caught up in the indentured servitude of a PhD program or postdocs.

·
MOTM Feb 2012
7,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Although it looks thorough, no sources are cited. Where are these numbers coming from? I imagine the NTs might be on the short end of the education spectrum (really, settle for an associates?), because many might be caught up in the indentured servitude of a PhD program or postdocs.
So where was research paper done for this study? I'd like to investigate this for myself.
Infographic is from MBTI Personality Types Socioeconomic Infographic.

Sources listed are:

typologycentral.com
statisticbrain.com
thegreatofficeescape.com
myersbriggs.org

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Would like to see the following before I come to any conclusions:

1.) Sample/Population Size; how big/representative was the population used to gather data?
2.) Typing Methods; i.e. how did they determine the types of the individuals?

I mean, this information tells us nothing, other than pointing toward already "known" correlations between type, degree, etc. Anybody have a link to the report?

@MBTI Enthusiast?

Edit 1: Yeah, I just saw the post above. I'm just going to conclude that this is dichotomy nonsense that used the test. Ah, well. MBTI can try to reach the normal pseudoscientific expectation from pyschology.

Edit 2:

Just the way that the strengths and weaknesses are listed makes it hard for me to take this seriously. I could be wrong, but at a glance this looks like it relies excessively on extrapolations of behaviour and a fairly shallow application of MBTI. The SJ and SP descriptions at the top also sounded questionably simplistic and belittling in contrast to the Ns, as if those types aren't even quite understood.
Agreed. Smells like dichotomies to me.

NFs are extremely simplistic too: loving and caring ? Affectionate ? Communicative ? Don't all people do that stuff ?
When you look at NT though: highly intelligent, imaginative and creative, excellent with money.
As I read it NFs make excellent housewifes/husbands, wonderful, yet another heavily biased MBTI "thing", for lack of better word. Meh.
I think you're thinking a little too simplistically as well.

No. Just because an individual is an xNTx, does not mean that they're more inclined to pursue a Ph.D/postdoc program.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Would like to see the following before I come to any conclusions:

1.) Sample/Population Size; how big/representative was the population used to gather data?
2.) Typing Methods; i.e. how did they determine the types of the individuals?

I mean, this information tells us nothing, other than pointing toward already "known" correlations between type, degree, etc. Anybody have a link to the report?

@MBTI Enthusiast?

Edit 1: Yeah, I just saw the post above. I'm just going to conclude that this is dichotomy nonsense that used the test. Ah, well. MBTI can try to reach the normal pseudoscientific expectation from pyschology.

Edit 2:

Agreed. Smells like dichotomies to me.

I think you're thinking a little too simplistically as well.

No. Just because an individual is an xNTx, does not mean that they're more inclined to pursue a Ph.D/postdoc program.
Simplistic, sure, at the same time that article seems extremely biased and its purpose to validate biased people into their beliefs. When you state that some cognitive functions imply a higher level of intelligence or NFs are love dispensers, how can it even be taken seriously. It spreads further misconceptions about types.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Looking at demographics can be interesting. But I am still stuck on seeing tendencies to be manipulative, or can be manipulative as a weakness. Yes it can be bad to have someone controlling your office from behind the scenes, but in some jobs, especially sales job, manipulation can help if done correctly.

Also I kind of want to see the mode and median of the education averages. In my opinion that would paint a clearer picture than whats probably the mean.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Laid back, not demanding... really? Who wrote this shit?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I think this is all jacked up. I don't want to see how successful I'll be compared to an ENTJ or something. Anyway, my dad (INTJ) is the provider for our family, and his income is much above the top of that scale. So how do rich people affect the scale of this? Are the families with little to no money being counted more or less in this? Anything that shows how successful you will be in life is really just not reliable. And it makes people feel like failures. Your personality type is set in stone, so why would you want to see your failure life ahead of time if that's what the majority of your people are doing? Seriously this is messed up who would do this to people. I'm rethinking my ESFP life now thanks to your system. It also seems a *bit* focused towards ENTJs. I mean, I guess they can climb the business ladder, but look at INFP! I guess Myers Briggs is the extremely heartless test it was a minute ago before I wrote this, and with that many stereotypes, there is bound to be something like this. Thanks a lot, now everyone knows what a failure they'll be. *slowly claps* Ok rant over sorry guys.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I'd like an example of a simplified NF description that actually matches what you're describing.

"Idealists are abstract in speech and cooperative in pursuing their goals. Their greatest strength is diplomatic integration. Their best developed intelligence role is either mentoring (Counselors and Teachers) or advocacy (Healers and Champions).

As the identity-seeking temperament, Idealists long for meaningful communication and relationships. They search for profound truths hidden beneath the surface, often expressing themselves in metaphor. Focused on the future, they are enthusiastic about possibilities, and they continually strive for self-renewal and personal growth.

Idealists strive to discover who they are and how they can become their best possible self -- always this quest for self-knowledge and self-improvement drives their imagination - and Idealists yearn to help others make the journey too."

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
I'd like an example of a simplified NF description that actually matches what you're describing.

"Idealists are abstract in speech and cooperative in pursuing their goals. Their greatest strength is diplomatic integration. Their best developed intelligence role is either mentoring (Counselors and Teachers) or advocacy (Healers and Champions).

As the identity-seeking temperament, Idealists long for meaningful communication and relationships. They search for profound truths hidden beneath the surface, often expressing themselves in metaphor. Focused on the future, they are enthusiastic about possibilities, and they continually strive for self-renewal and personal growth.

Idealists strive to discover who they are and how they can become their best possible self -- always this quest for self-knowledge and self-improvement drives their imagination - and Idealists yearn to help others make the journey too."
Thanks, that's a good description because it is general enough without being superficial (and it is actually pretty accurate).

Well, my previous message was inspired by the listed NF strengths, the descriptions are so tiny it's hard to take them seriously anyway. That "loving and caring" part annoyed me most of all. That's strengths that help others, not ourselves, tell me how I can benefit from those things ? Second, that's so hypocritical, if anything, that's being seen as naive and idiotic by most people, which is proven by the fact we earn the least money from all the types. We are being used and taken advantage of, because of our lack of "ambition". So we should be happy to be of use to others ? Yeah, either that or I'm going to save trees and fulfill my life... Color me enthusiastic here. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
I stumbled upon this interesting, albeit depressing for some, infographic showing the type breakdown for Average Household Income, Average Education Level Achieved, Males and Females, and the US Population. It looks like ENTJs have an advantage of at least $8k per year on every other type!

What do you think? Do you agree with the data?

Career Assessment Site: A Clear Path for the Future
Nonsense. I am an ENF type that wants to have a good career and go to at least a Russell University and is expecting A* grades.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I know right? My parents want me like an ESTJ or ISTJ or something like that!
Nonsense! I'm staying to my ENF roots.
I think it is rather stupid to want somebody to be other personality type than they are. I mean, if person is NF, how on earth he or she can suddenly become ST? And why they should? The world needs both sides of the coin and not everyone can be the ESTJs etc.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Uhmm.... no sources and stuff, looks like it's complete guess. I won't put too much importance into this, it looks random.

·
Banned
8,597 Posts
Uhmm.... no sources and stuff, looks like it's complete guess. I won't put too much importance into this, it looks random.
The consulting firm that made these graphics are just hiding their sources. Here's the source for the income and educational level graphs.

http://personalitypage.com/html/demographics.html

Although it should be noted that the income level graph is exaggerated because the Zero line starts at $55k and the difference between the lowest and highest is only ~$23k and that's because US society greatly values the EJ temperament over all others.

·
Registered
104 Posts
The consulting firm that made these graphics are just hiding their sources. Here's the source for the income and educational level graphs.

Demographics from The Personality Questionnaire

Although it should be noted that the income level graph is exaggerated because the Zero line starts at $55k and the difference between the lowest and highest is only ~$23k and that's because US society greatly values the EJ temperament over all others.
Okay nice, but I will also point out that the test is inaccurate, and that mostly idealists took this test.

Precise statistics on this simply cannot be made. o_O

·
Banned
8,597 Posts
Okay nice, but I will also point out that the test is inaccurate, and that mostly idealists took this test.

Precise statistics on this simply cannot be made. o_O
Which type tended to take the test most doesn't affect the income and educational level statistics because the sample size for each of the sixteen types is more than large enough to be accurate. The smallest group, the ENTJs still had 484 people respond and that's a large enough group to draw statistical inferences from.

The type of people who would be taking professionally administered MBTI tests would likely be older and possibly married which would make some of the types seem to have a higher income. The EJ types tended to be most frequently married and so they would be the most likely to report a possibly dual income household than other types like INFP, ESFP and ENTP. I bet you that's what's happening and why those three in particular report lower income levels. :wink:

21 - 40 of 249 Posts