Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really need help figuring out who the main characters' personality types are.

I am particularly interested in Eru Chitanda. She strikes me as ENFP with her spontaneous behaviour and her short attention span (as in short interest in many things). I've seen someone type her as ENFJ, but I have no idea why. She's not the type of person to fake herself to please others, as shown when she has a hard time when given the task to negotiate with a person to gain a favour. I also saw INFJ, but I thought she was extraverted? It's not like I've ever met an ENFP in real life, so I don't have much experience in that regard, so much help would be appreciated.

In the case of Hōtarō Oreki, I can confidently say that he is INTJ. The way he thinks (theorize coherent solutions, reject ones that are not coherent) is just so similar to my way of thinking.

Satoshi Fukube strikes me as ESTP. His way of doing things (being in action) is just so characteristic of the Artisan temperament.

For Mayaka Ibara, my guess is xSTJ. I don't have much to say about her, except that she's bad at problem solving (can't figure out trends, doesn't see the forest)...

I just love this anime so much and if my guesses are correct, then I would have witnessed an INTJ-ENFP (teenage love) relationship for the first time in an anime.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I love Hyouka too!!!! This anime obviously features an INTP/J-ENFP relationship, Houtarou I feels like an INTP because hes lazy, but then its a 'dont wanna step in shit' sort of lazy, I dont know. Another anime that shows an INTJ-ENFP relationship is Alice Gakuen, with the ENFP being protagonist though. Natsume Im not sure, probably an INTJ, Hotaru is a confirm INTJ.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks Eru is ENFP.

The reason why I think Houtaro is INTJ is because of his problem solving. He first starts by rejecting existing theories, before making one of his own. That certainly screams INTJ in my ears. Also, you're right. He's not the INTP kind of lazy, but the 'do not want to be involved' type of lazy, of which I can certainly relate to.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hyouka and MBTI hardcore fan thoughts

Houtarou
I'd say that Houtarou is more INTP. It's inconsequential to say that he is INTJ just because he rejects theories and then forms his own because that is a common NT thought process. My view is that he is INTP primarily because he doesn't, or doesn't seem to, form concrete visions about the future. In a nutshell, Houtarou does not build towards a future, a definite trait in all INTJs. INTJs plan for the future a good 20 years ahead. And while it is possible for INTPs to do so, they form vague ideals about their future instead. But I digress. INTPs are only able to work towards a goal when huge motivation is provided, in this case Houtarou's affections for Eru.

Eru
Eru in the meantime is an ENFJ. In the first episode it's already revealed that she is the top student. It is not within our means to categorize Ps and Js, but there is a higher likelihood of her being a J because she would have the mental discipline to study for it. That being said, a very telling sign would be her dedication to the people. ENFJs are often idealists who work towards fulfilling their duty, and helping the people in the long term. Her indication in the last episode to turn to science to help the crops show how she has already planned out helping her society.

ENFPs and quite similar to ENFJs, and her excitement and spontaneity is a function of her extraversion, without impacting her Judging ability. If Eru was an ENFP she would be more devoted to only making people around her happy, and ENFPs are known chameleons because they change their behavior depending on who they are interacting with.

Satoshi
Satoshi is an ENTP. The first reason being, he calls himself a database. ENTPs and INTPs are most famous for collecting information in their daily activities for use in the future. Satoshi also shows a strong interest in reading Sherlock, whereas an ESTP would be more interested in sports or other physical activities due to his sensing function. Satoshi's actions are very consistent with the rationals (NTs), his withdrawal after failing to meet with his expectations of himself. This reaction is much stronger in NTs because they begin to rationalize their feelings and tend to box them up, the safety being an avoidance of any trigger of any sort. As such, like in the second last episode, he is seen as cold, and distant when he is only protecting his feelings with his logic.

Mayaka
The only one I'm not too sure about is Mayaka. But that is because I don't pay her much attention since as an NT her character is annoying to me. So I would love to have some help on that.

Ending Thoughts
To any who is curious I am an ENTP. I can say that Satoshi is an ENTP not because I can understand him, but because I have the exact same lifestyle, motto, thoughts, and reactions as him throughout the whole anime series. I know I sound arrogant but I am really just laying out the facts here. NT problems - I don't mean to sound arrogant.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@Hyouko

I'm interested in what you said about INTJ's planning 20 years of their life in advance. Could you clarify what you mean by that? Strictly speaking from what you said, I'd be more like an INTP in terms of planning, as my future seems more like a vague ideal to me.

·
Registered
559 Posts
@Hyouko

I'm interested in what you said about INTJ's planning 20 years of their life in advance. Could you clarify what you mean by that? Strictly speaking from what you said, I'd be more like an INTP in terms of planning, as my future seems more like a vague ideal to me.
A core characteristic of an Ni dom is to look into the future and have life goals. As ne may see the object as fluid, and see a multitude of things that object could become, Ni see's the subject as fluid and perceives what it could become. Ni's converges onto a singular possibility, or future. Usually when anime characters present no definite goal for the future, it's difficult to type them as an ni dom.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Have a very limited understanding of this anime, but on the argument with Houtaru...

The argument of INTJ vs INTP can be solved with clear Ti - Ne vs Te - Ni. When he thinks or deduces, is it because he wanted to understand the truth behind a perceived external pattern, or because he wanted to have an impact on the external world, that would be productive to his future goals? The former is INTP, the latter INTJ.

·
Registered
10,350 Posts
A core characteristic of an Ni dom is to look into the future and have life goals. As ne may see the object as fluid, and see a multitude of things that object could become, Ni see's the subject as fluid and perceives what it could become. Ni's converges onto a singular possibility, or future. Usually when anime characters present no definite goal for the future, it's difficult to type them as an ni dom.
Ni can be in-part about life goals, but that's not actually necessarily the case. Ni is about noticing patterns and symbolic meaning or semantics. Using Ni-Te tends towards logical deductions that seem like the most likely/realistic option (Te) based on the surrounding information/details of the 'scene' (Ni-Se). I forget where I saw it, but there was an explanation of Ni-Te based around there being a hole in a roof and trying to work out what caused it, where Ni got everything from aliens to a tree branch, then narrowed it down to most likely a tree branch based on the leaves on the ground, or something. Te was used to judge the scene like 'even if the roof is strong, a heavy tree branch, or an unknown weakness could have caused this to happen'. Ni-Te accepted the tree branch idea, but Ni still enjoyed the idea of aliens etc. I can't remember it well, unfortunately.

Ni (especially when coupled with Te) prefers to narrow things down to one answer, whereas Ne (especially with Ti) prefers to expand and find multiple explanations.

In this debate, there's also the fact that as an INTP, Houtarou would be using a dominant judging function, or as an INTJ, a dominant perceiving function. Perceiving functions are naturally mostly passive (they're a way of taking in data) whereas judging functions are mostly active (making a judgement on the data based on motivations etc.). So there's that to take into account too. A judging dominant will be more likely to have a tendency to judge before perceiving (until their perceiving functions are properly developed) which leads to things such as immature INTPs basically saying 'this is correct because it makes sense to me'. On the other hand, a perceiving dominant is more likely to avoid judging data until their judging function is developed, which leads to immature INTJs saying things like 'there's no answer' etc. (I think many people tend to sort of blend ENTJs and INTJs together and the same with ENTPs and INTPs - I know at least from myself that I'm not as Te-heavy as most descriptions of INTJs would like to portray INTJs as, and I'm usually more philosophical than scientific and tend towards coasting through things that I don't really care about (like a lot of classes in school), but if I'm interested in something, I really get things done and usually in the most efficient way to avoid losing time/wasting energy.).

Draw from that what you will. I just wanted to clear up the seeming misunderstanding about Ni I saw here.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Houtarou
I'd say that Houtarou is more INTP. It's inconsequential to say that he is INTJ just because he rejects theories and then forms his own because that is a common NT thought process. My view is that he is INTP primarily because he doesn't, or doesn't seem to, form concrete visions about the future. In a nutshell, Houtarou does not build towards a future, a definite trait in all INTJs. INTJs plan for the future a good 20 years ahead. And while it is possible for INTPs to do so, they form vague ideals about their future instead. But I digress. INTPs are only able to work towards a goal when huge motivation is provided, in this case Houtarou's affections for Eru.

Eru
Eru in the meantime is an ENFJ. In the first episode it's already revealed that she is the top student. It is not within our means to categorize Ps and Js, but there is a higher likelihood of her being a J because she would have the mental discipline to study for it. That being said, a very telling sign would be her dedication to the people. ENFJs are often idealists who work towards fulfilling their duty, and helping the people in the long term. Her indication in the last episode to turn to science to help the crops show how she has already planned out helping her society.

ENFPs and quite similar to ENFJs, and her excitement and spontaneity is a function of her extraversion, without impacting her Judging ability. If Eru was an ENFP she would be more devoted to only making people around her happy, and ENFPs are known chameleons because they change their behavior depending on who they are interacting with.

Satoshi
Satoshi is an ENTP. The first reason being, he calls himself a database. ENTPs and INTPs are most famous for collecting information in their daily activities for use in the future. Satoshi also shows a strong interest in reading Sherlock, whereas an ESTP would be more interested in sports or other physical activities due to his sensing function. Satoshi's actions are very consistent with the rationals (NTs), his withdrawal after failing to meet with his expectations of himself. This reaction is much stronger in NTs because they begin to rationalize their feelings and tend to box them up, the safety being an avoidance of any trigger of any sort. As such, like in the second last episode, he is seen as cold, and distant when he is only protecting his feelings with his logic.

Mayaka
The only one I'm not too sure about is Mayaka. But that is because I don't pay her much attention since as an NT her character is annoying to me. So I would love to have some help on that.

Ending Thoughts
To any who is curious I am an ENTP. I can say that Satoshi is an ENTP not because I can understand him, but because I have the exact same lifestyle, motto, thoughts, and reactions as him throughout the whole anime series. I know I sound arrogant but I am really just laying out the facts here. NT problems - I don't mean to sound arrogant.
Ello!
I totally see where you are coming from :) but I am not too sure that you have reached the right conclusion with Eru. Imagine this: if she had to chose between her studies and something which had piqued her interests, what do you think she would do? ;) I think she would reach the dilemma I constantly do. I WANT to do this, but I have to do this...
If you look at functions:
ENFP - Ne, Fi, Te, Si
ENFJ - Fe, Ni, Se, Ti

Personally, I think that while ENFJ a can fit her quite well, she leds with that extraverted intuition that drives her to find out more, to discover meaning and new ideas ^-^

·
Registered
812 Posts
I'm pretty set on Oreki being INTJ.
Mayaka strikes me as ISTJ.
Fukube I would consider an ENTP.

Chitanda. . I want to think either ENFP or INFJ (i know their functions are completely inversed lol). Imo she seems to exude positive qualities of both types so it is a bit difficult to distinguish, but I want to lean more to a healthy INFJ for my recent conversation with an ENFP friend (I am INFJ).

My ENFP friend and I are on very good terms with one another and I appreciate the many theoretical conversations we tend to have. But what I notice is that while he tends to bring up the conversations and theories to discuss. . His focus is very unstable compared to mine. Whenever I talk about theories or anything heavily cerebral I like to get straight to the point, im very resolute and if I could i would love to draw a straight line from A to B with him. But he is the kind of ENFP who will just bounce around and "mhm right" the whole way. He maintains interest, but I can tell he only wants to talk about these things for the fun of the idea and to explode his Ne if he can. Lol But then he will go off on something else random, like mentioning how he wants to create potato stickers one day???? He's very charming and easy to talk to about these concepts, however his focus patterns really help me understand the differences between INFJ and ENFP. Sure, he wants to understand and gain opinions out of Te maybe but like Satoshi (whom i think is ENTP) said, "just a database", he is pretty much similar in that he has all this information but doesnt actually draw a line between all of them down to the core. And that's okay bc he just doesnt work like that.

But that, to me, is not Chitanda. Chitanda seems to have the same focus level as Oreki. She said in an earlier episode that she doesnt actually care about they parts but wants to understand the fundamental workings of how it all plays out. To me that sounds pretty Ni.

Consider also the fact when she got angry at the teacher in that one episode for making a mistake. For me. . I feel I can relate because if the teacher were scolding the whole class for something I am positive is just his own mistake, I'd probably tell him to check his notes again just as she did. Disharmony really boils me down and like Chitanda admitted, it wasnt because he made the mistake, its because she wanted everything to stabilize and move forward since no one was going to come forth with the idea that this was a misunderstanding. An ENFP and any other type could do the same, but I feel her actually getting angry was a fault of Fe mixed with inf Se. Lol

The only reason I'd give to hopefully type her as ENFP would be the very last few episodes. . Where I felt she was valueing tradition much more than what I could ever, but I suppose that's just because she and I are conditioned differently for being born and raised in different cultures. Other than that, I don't see Chitanda with a preference of Ne Fi Te Si.

There is also a chance she can be ENFJ, though I haven't really figured what of her is definitely more an ENFJ trait. I'm going with INFJ-- an airhead INFJ since anime has to have some cute idealistic qualities added to their characters. The frame of reference though, definitely INFJ with some other enneagram/triad I am not completely lined up with.

Reactions: Bcorn and Midera

·
Registered
812 Posts
@Eden4 Impressive analysis! I still think Chitanda is ENFP though. Her scatter-brainess simply points to an ENFP.
@Epitomity Thank you! I'm actually still curious to figure out just which Chitanda is. . . Sigh. But I've ruled out ENFJ by now for one.

May I ask what other evidence or quotes you have that you think she is ENFP? I'm trying to consider this type for her again but something isn't clicking in for me, I'd much appreciate it if you had anything to support that! ^^

·
Registered
812 Posts
There was a scene from one of the earlier episodes I recall, when Chitanda said "i dont like to get tired" or something, and Oreki saw her as this angel. XD Idk I like to think of it as an inf Se recognizing another inf Se but thats probably just me overextending the connections. It was cute. LOL

·
Registered
20 Posts
Oh, Hyouka. That was an interesting one that I never got around to finishing. I found myself quite attracted to Houtarou, but if it came to real life, we'd probably just be friends. Anyway, from what I do remember about the show, I agree with your labeling.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
@Epitomity Thank you! I'm actually still curious to figure out just which Chitanda is. . . Sigh. But I've ruled out ENFJ by now for one.

May I ask what other evidence or quotes you have that you think she is ENFP? I'm trying to consider this type for her again but something isn't clicking in for me, I'd much appreciate it if you had anything to support that! ^^
It would take too long and a session of watching the anime again. From what I remember... at the school festival when her attention span was like that of an ADHD person, or when she had to talk to some dudes and convince them... Her inability to put on a mask (without feeling bad) points to authencity and genuineness, while her short attention span points to scatter-brainess, all these traits pointing to Ne and Fi, which with her extravertness, point to an ENFP.

I find it hilarious that people label Satoshi an ENTP. The thought of an ENTP admitting defeat to an INTJ is simply uproarious. Though that is to say that I'm still not sure/convinced of his type.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
I really need help figuring out who the main characters' personality types are.

I am particularly interested in Eru Chitanda. She strikes me as ENFP with her spontaneous behaviour and her short attention span (as in short interest in many things). I've seen someone type her as ENFJ, but I have no idea why. She's not the type of person to fake herself to please others, as shown when she has a hard time when given the task to negotiate with a person to gain a favour. I also saw INFJ, but I thought she was extraverted? It's not like I've ever met an ENFP in real life, so I don't have much experience in that regard, so much help would be appreciated.

In the case of Hōtarō Oreki, I can confidently say that he is INTJ. The way he thinks (theorize coherent solutions, reject ones that are not coherent) is just so similar to my way of thinking.

Satoshi Fukube strikes me as ESTP. His way of doing things (being in action) is just so characteristic of the Artisan temperament.

For Mayaka Ibara, my guess is xSTJ. I don't have much to say about her, except that she's bad at problem solving (can't figure out trends, doesn't see the forest)...

I just love this anime so much and if my guesses are correct, then I would have witnessed an INTJ-ENFP (teenage love) relationship for the first time in an anime.
Hyouka is a shitty anime, riddled by worn out tropes like holes in a piece of dirty old grey briefs sweetly accented by a shitstain, an anime consisted of all the lowbrow mass-produced material consumed by the kilo by it's creator and vomited back out. Hyouka sucks.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hyouka is a shitty anime, riddled by worn out tropes like holes in a piece of dirty old grey briefs sweetly accented by a shitstain, an anime consisted of all the lowbrow mass-produced material consumed by the kilo by it's creator and vomited back out. Hyouka sucks.
I find it is the total opposite. A brilliant story with memorable characters, with the frosting on top being the cute interactions between an apathetic INTJ and a "I'm curious, I can't stop thinking about it!" ENFP. A truly enjoyable anime. Durarara on the other hand... What you said may be the best descriptor of that anime yet.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.