Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
McDonald's to close hundreds of stores

Well I call this progress! McDonald's must close down hundreds of its stores in some countries, including USA and China (Sorry Australia, you are a bit slow to catch onto this one), due to people realizing just how unhealthy the food they serve there is, and how bad it is for our health to eat there (It turns out that it's only a good idea if you have a death wish...Heart attack burger anyone? Or what about an Obesity Milk Shake for your child? Or better yet, Dog-grade Chicken Nuggets!), even their salads are unhealthy!
My family and I have personally completely stopped buying anything at all from McDonald's (I won't even by a bottle of water there as it would support them), and we already feel healthier for it. The more people to do this the better it is for the collective health of humanity, so even if you don't care about your own personal health (and you really should!) then think about the effect McDonald's has had on the population, and stop supporting McDonald's.

·
Banned
3,255 Posts
I don't have an axe to grind with MickeyD's, but personally I think people have just had enough of cheap, low quality products. That theme has had it's day. Stand by and watch as more than just junk food loses it's appeal. People have had enough of the cheapness of life overall and being sold it via billboards and smaltzy advertising. We are seeing a revolution in progress, the decline of consumerism.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't have an axe to grind with MickeyD's, but personally I think people have just had enough of cheap, low quality products. That theme has had it's day. Stand by and watch as more than just junk food loses it's appeal. People have had enough of the cheapness of life overall and being sold it via billboards and smaltzy advertising. We are seeing a revolution in progress, the decline of consumerism.
Well the general population of Australia don't seem to mind it - or maybe even like it? - but hopefully that will change for us too in the next 200 years...Not going to hold my breath on that one. May move to another country.

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
They went from 40 billion to 35 billion. SIGNIFICANT, but not exactly a crushing loss, which is why companies should not be allowed to play Medieval king.

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
I don't have a problem with McDonalds existing. I have a problem with them attempting to be synonymous with America and take over the world, all with products that are ok (responsibly sourced fish sandwich, American farmed beef that actually is NOT pink slime, with special sauce lettuce cheese pickles onions on a sesame seed bun)...but their products aren't GREAT they aren't THE BEST. Something like...The Apple Pan in LA, or mom and pop Carolina Beach burger stand are the best, and capitalism should be about fair best, not all this government manipulation and Nazi level commercial propaganda.

·
Banned
3,255 Posts
...but their products aren't GREAT they aren't THE BEST. Something like...The Apple Pan in LA, or mom and pop Carolina Beach burger stand are the best
Thats always been the case. They've always been second rate even in their heyday in the 80's. I never thought they tried to be the best, just the most easily sourced and cheapest. Which until a few years ago was actually true. You didn't go to McD's because it was great, you went there because there was one on every street corner and it was cheap. Sure I'll pay you pocket change for something semi-edible while I'm drunk.

When I wanted a decent burger I always went to my local mum and pop shop, at least they used real food and you got something that was worthwhile.

, and capitalism should be about fair best, not all this government manipulation and Nazi level commercial propaganda.
I'll have to take your word on that since I'm unsure what you mean by those last statements.

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
Thats always been the case. They've always been second rate even in their heyday in the 80's. I never thought they tried to be the best, just the most easily sourced and cheapest. Which until a few years ago was actually true. You didn't go to McD's because it was great, you went there because there was one on every street corner and it was cheap. Sure I'll pay you pocket change for something semi-edible while I'm drunk.

When I wanted a decent burger I always went to my local mum and pop shop, at least they used real food and you got something that was worthwhile.

I'll have to take your word on that since I'm unsure what you mean by those last statements.
Government manipulation is a reference to right wing corporate welfare, and Nazi level commercial propaganda is a common technique introduced into American advertising well before the 80s. ..America partially became great because of our good old boy attitude in WWII, but also because our government are pragmatic pieces of shit who came back from war with HEY HOW ABOUT THIS, and it's painfully evident in the rigid smiling conformity of the 50s, the way everything suddenly became sanitized after WWII, cheap, mass produced, identical. ..and of course our good dear friend subliminal advertising. The McDonalds M is considered hyperreality, it's that significant in the American consciousness, perhaps now even in the world.

And it's so creepy to be a child of the 80s and be aware of all this shit, to hate or be secretly envious of the people who continue their scheduled programming. Despite. ..reality. (Hyperreality is the inability to distinguish reality from simulated reality, a condition many Americans appear to suffer from on a daily basis, and I enjoy hyperreality as an art form, it's like an escape to my childhood, and I have noticed people who cannot enjoy it as art also usually never made the break. They don't know it's all not real, and if they know, they don't want to know and don't care).

I can't imagine how Germans actually feel.

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
I loled at the end. McDonald's workers fighting for a 15 dollar pay rate... Go to school and become a productive member of society!
o.o I'd kill for that much loot lmao. ^^ and I'm sure half of Africa would do the same HAHAHAHA!

:crazy: this closing down tells me one thing. The economy is SHIT & we are in deep trouble on a global scale.

Which spells out one thing: OPPORTUNITY. For every cloud there is a silver lining. Problems require fixing, fixes produce value & value is profitable.

I have a revolutionary idea. Learn to cook, share cooking culture :p ...McDonalds food is crap ^^ I ate 2x there in my life and the second time I swore I'd never go back. I can make a better sandwich in 10 minutes & its cheaper.

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
Actually, I remember a study involving fast food closing and obesity rate correlations, the result was no change.
I.. uhh.. don't remember what it is though, googling it might help.

·
Banned
4,143 Posts
I can't imagine how Germans actually feel.
This German feels acutely uncomfortable with you comparing our past totalitarian regime that tried to kill large groups of people to a multinational that is trying to make as much money as it can.

Granted, 'Just following orders' and 'Just trying to make a profit' both show a lack of compassion with the people that are hurt, but there is a difference.

·
Registered
421 Posts
McDonald's to close hundreds of stores

Well I call this progress! McDonald's must close down hundreds of its stores in some countries, including USA and China (Sorry Australia, you are a bit slow to catch onto this one), due to people realizing just how unhealthy the food they serve there is, and how bad it is for our health to eat there (It turns out that it's only a good idea if you have a death wish...Heart attack burger anyone? Or what about an Obesity Milk Shake for your child? Or better yet, Dog-grade Chicken Nuggets!), even their salads are unhealthy!
My family and I have personally completely stopped buying anything at all from McDonald's (I won't even by a bottle of water there as it would support them), and we already feel healthier for it. The more people to do this the better it is for the collective health of humanity, so even if you don't care about your own personal health (and you really should!) then think about the effect McDonald's has had on the population, and stop supporting McDonald's.
This is good news! I've been an anti-McDonald's advocate for a few years now and during this time I have refused to eat a single bite of their food. I think that their existence does more harm than good. Yes, they provide meals at low prices but their food is extremely unhealthy and extensively processed. If you ever watch the film, super size me, then you'll understand the ugly truth behind their products. The quality of their meat is repulsive and the amount of sodium put into their food is frightening.
I remember someone telling me that they ordered a burger and received one with a patty that was half-frozen. Talk about an easy opportunity to contract salmonella. I've heard another story about someone who ordered a burger and found a dead cockroach inside.
This chain is not regulated well at all. It's time for them to shut down.

·
Electronica Wizard
ISFP
6,709 Posts
I honestly don't mind at all whether it exist or not.

·
The Doer King
13,681 Posts
McD's has a place in the world and I think they should exist. Everyone has a choice in what they consume and if you can't make the correct choice for yourself or your family, then you have the problem, not McD's. Please don't give me the tired excuse about low income families not being able to afford to make their own food. I make all my own meals and my families meals and I have 5 kids to feed. I don't make a tonne of money either. I occasionally take my children out to eat fast food as well. I know it isn't healthy, but having it now and then is fine. My kids know it isn't healthy to eat all the time and don't beg me to go out to eat.

EDUCATION, you should try it.

The word YOU is referring to everyone in the world.

·
Mastodon Hunter
8,093 Posts
o.o I'd kill for that much loot lmao. ^^ and I'm sure half of Africa would do the same HAHAHAHA!

:crazy: this closing down tells me one thing. The economy is SHIT & we are in deep trouble on a global scale.

Which spells out one thing: OPPORTUNITY. For every cloud there is a silver lining. Problems require fixing, fixes produce value & value is profitable.

I have a revolutionary idea. Learn to cook, share cooking culture :p ...McDonalds food is crap ^^ I ate 2x there in my life and the second time I swore I'd never go back. I can make a better sandwich in 10 minutes & its cheaper.
I used to work at a restaurant which involved actual cooking skills and even I didn't get $15 an hour... And that's okay! I was satisfied with my pay rate. I even had my own apartment... Seriously, these people asking for a $15 pay rate is because they have no idea how to live within their means, and they think everybody deserves to live like a middle class family.

Last time I checked, most middle class families have heads of household with jobs that actually impact society in some way.

·
Registered
9,085 Posts
Maybe it is good health wise, but I can't help but think of all those people who will be jobless at the closing of these establishments.

·
🎀
11,795 Posts
Yeah,blame McDonald's

Seriously,there's so many other fast food places,unhealthy food in stores,unhealthy food you create at home by adding crap to healthy food,etc.,WHY does it always have to be about McDonald's???Does anyone sane think Americans would be healthier without it???
Eating a whole meal there few times a year will not kill you,no one ever died or got fat from having cheeseburger and some fries every once in a while.
Super Size Me is ridiculous,one of the dumbest things I've ever seen,those quantities of McDonald's on a daily basis are unrealistic,at least here in Europe.I know people who love their food and think they eat it "often"(including me) but actually we go there a couple of times a month max,and mostly for 1 thing only(so only 6 nuggets,or a burger,or an ice cream,very rarely a whole meal with fries and a drink)
I honestly see no harm

And could you tell me how are their salads unhealthy just because they are from there?(whoever mentioned it)
No one is forcing you to add bunch of dressing,crispy chicken,etc. and the rest is just salad

1 - 20 of 93 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.