34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every time I take one of these tests the percentages fall close to this:

Introverted (I) 63.64% Extroverted (E) 36.36%
Intuitive (N) 54.55% Sensing (S) 45.45%
Feeling (F) 59.26% Thinking (T) 40.74%
Perceiving (P) 76.67% Judging (J) 23.33%

But...

So long as I think I have my facts straight, I will confront anybody on anything, without a second thought for their feelings.But I won't hold a grudge about it the next day. I will cry at any movie, be overwhelmingly moved by any music, reference to my past, etc. I love nature and find inspiration in many things. I am completely socially awkward, I have a foul mouth, a wicked sense of humor, am amused at crude puns and curse at traffic. I will tell people way too much and be sorry about it afterward. I prefer to work alone. I hate being assigned to groups because they never understand me. I am not afraid of most physical activities (hang gliding and roller coasters are outside of my reach however). I am completely uncoordinated. My kids ask me for elf names for their video game characters, 'cause I'm the expert. When I see people being wronged, both individually and in the collective, I feel more of a righteous anger than a desire to peacemake. I have a desire to help the world, not save it. I don't think the world will live without conflict because peoples' value systems are simply too dissimilar. And individuals have conflicting interests. People are different; they shouldn't all try to be the same, but that is what it would take to live without conflict, imo. I am intolerant of being spoken down to. Poor grammar/spelling irritates me, unless it is deliberate. I take injured animals to wildlife centers (grackle, squirrel). My favorite school subjects are not art, poetry, music, or anything like that. I appreciate them; I don't have time for them. My house is chaos, because I keep taking this quiz over and over, or helping my neighbor who is very much in need of attention instead of minding my house. Definitely my own set of values. I think societal rules are necessary. Always following them is not. Everyone tells me their problems because I listen and I empathize. I encourage my children, my husband, my friends to be whoever they want to be. I love tests like these. And I have read like every description of all of the types on the internet. I lose things: cell phones, keys, receipts, and cigarette lighters. I am better than I used to be. There, I think I have contradicted everything.

Much obliged. My apologies for the length.

Elemmire (such an INFP name I'm surprised it wasn't already taken)

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Don't ever take anything any MBTI article says too seriously. They are based off of extreme stereotypes of the 16 types.

They try to make it easy for people by given each type a role label like "overseer" when in reality that doesn't apply to a lot of INFP's. It does apply to most, including myself, but not all.

Also I'm not sure if you were trying to point out how non-INFP'ish you are, but from what you described you are very much an INFP.

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
Have you looked at INFJ?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
After reading a bunch of the threads, and the comments of various people, I actually feel most comfortable with the INFJ idea, but that does not mean that I am not an I am not an INFP. My house IS a mess. Also, I will go anywhere - do anything, which does not seem very INFJ. So maybe the tests are right after all. One thing I am not is Utopian. Nor do I think everyone should like everyone else. Also, I re-read my posts multiple times (but don't use preview post?). What I did when I saw that I had got a result that did not quite fit was I used process of elimination. I was left with 6: ENFP, INFP, INFJ, INTP, ENTP, and ISFP. Then I read what some of the people on here had to say about various matters and I eliminated INTP and ENTP. I also used HollyGolightly's answer the opposite of everything approach and ended up with ESTJ.

Thanks for the input. :)

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
J does not equal organized and safe and P does not equal open-minded and messy.
Read this thread: http://personalitycafe.com/infj-forum-protectors/28728-my-theory-why-infjs-seem-so-p-ish.html

And I can personally vouch for INFJs having classic P traits as my mom is an INFJ and she usually doesn't exhibit those classic J traits. Also, another suggestion would be to look at cognitive functions as an even greater difference between INFJs and INFPs is demonstrated there. INFPs are primarily feeling types and beyond that, 'introverted feeling' types. INFJs are primarily intuition types...And that's 'introverted intuition'. INFPs would use Fi coupled with Ne(extroverted intuition) while INFJs would use Ni coupled with Fe(extroverted feeling).
This describes the attitudes of these different functions: Function Attitude

Reactions: Elemmire

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That was interesting. But I think my high level of self-doubt probably places me in the INFP camp. I just thought, among other things, that my appreciation for the Boondock Saints movies (among other things) maybe made me an INFJ. I have felt compelled to figure this out since I was introduced to the online test not too long ago by someone who appeared visibly shocked at my INFP results. I think the inference was that they did not think I was particularly nice person. :) No harm no foul.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
At its most basic level, being an INFP means you base decisions on subjective ethical values, through perceived possibilities, meanings, and related contexts. I'm not sure anything beyond this basic mental frame is relevant.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would say I make my decisions with the practical realization that if I do not take my morals into account when I make those choices, I will not be able to be successful. For me I think that would be accurate. Is that within the realm of what you mean? I want to thank you all for your contributions.
By the way, that is one nifty picture, Big bad wolf.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh, I think I found a less-than-flattering picture of myself on the INFP stereotypes thread.:( I think I will keep an eye on that as what not to be. I guess INFP it is.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I would say I make my decisions with the practical realization that if I do not take my morals into account when I make those choices, I will not be able to be successful. For me I think that would be accurate. Is that within the realm of what you mean? I want to thank you all for your contributions.
By the way, that is one nifty picture, Big bad wolf.
I believe it is or could be. If you are looking to separate Fe (INFJ) from Fi (INFP) these might be of help. Fe actively seeks out connections, through displays of warmth, affection, etc. Fe is also the extroversion of ethics. If someone is doing something the Fe user finds unethical, they usually aren't hesitant to attempt to correct it, or at the very least, comment on it. The Fi user sees ethics as subjective, so may find their behavior wrong, but respect, that they may just have different ethical values, so aren't as apt to speak up, unless the other party attempts to force or coerce them into the behavior, as well. Fi users can be just as warm, connecting, what have you, as Fe, but will often let the other person come to them, and may appear cold and detached, on the surface. Thanks for the pic compliment, btw.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The only time I will not speak up is if I am pretty sure it is a waste of time, and then I might speak up anyway, depending on the situation. But it is not always very coherent. I made a list; now I am going to apologize in advance to INFP's, which I may very well be, but here goes:

It's just when I read the INFP "I am... " thread... I relate to so little of it. I mean bits and pieces, but still.
INFP traits I relate to: My house, my user name, my reaction to music, live very much in my head, emotional reaction to music, nature, movies, sentiment, remorse for previous actions, knows a lot about elves, is on this site, better at helping others than those that mean the most to me, feels unworthy, feels duty to reciprocate for benefits received, talks to others in my head, I lose stuff, forget to do mundane things because I am preoccupied by my thoughts.

However,

Not INFP: I am not afraid to speak up to anybody about anything, I am not so impressed with my own thoughts, they entertain me, perhaps, however I am not enamored of their excellence. I don’t presume that I know the mind of another; I think that is arrogance, even when it’s true, I also don’t presume to feel sorry for those who may not feel sorry for themselves, it’s condescending, I have no artistic skill in any medium, I do not think all ethical/moral constructs are created equal (i.e., I'm right unless you prove me wrong, though I am always willing to listen); my morals/ethics frequently not consistent with or only are superficially consistent with the norm.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
It's just when I read the INFP "I am... " thread... I relate to so little of it. I mean bits and pieces, but still.
I relate to very little of the behavior on the INFP section as well, I may have at some point, but I definitely don't now.

Of course, I have balanced T and F and that eliminates a lot of problems INFP's typically have right off the bat.

There's also enneagram differences to consider.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think I am just a particularly cynical, skeptical, assertive INFP who loves the hard sciences, though assuredly not the only one. Everything you guys on here have said helped me finally bring it together. This thread also helped, and might help others trying to understand the difference between INFP/J:

http://personalitycafe.com/myers-br...iled-descriptions-each-function-attitude.html. Particularly the difference between "ne" and "ni." I definitely have my own idea of what is/isn't ethical. I am just not overly shy about sharing.

Anyway, here's my Enneagram score:

Type 1 Type 2 Type 3 Type 4 Type 5 Type 6 Type 7 Type 8 Type 9
2 5 2 6 5 5 6 4 1

Thanks again

1 - 13 of 13 Posts