Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The thing that causes me the most discomfort is feeling cut off from others. The way my mind works in these circumstances is to focus on that one event for months. I had 2 close friends who betrayed me, lied about me and basically ran me off of my dorm floor my freshman year. Whats worse is they were both failures at life (2.1 GPA criminal justice major insulting me:rolleyes:), so it bothered me that they could bother me at that level and with that great of a impact. Our mutual friends chose him over me, which I should be used to. Just reliving this event that happened a year ago causes me great discomfort. To handle this situation I just cut him off completely, I ignore him when I walk by him, I plan his downfall in private. That is the point where I begin to think of suicide, as in no one will ever like me so whats the point, I've never maintained a friendship and most people just screw me over anyways so whats the point. Just writing this is not reflective of me, the language I am using is not how I generally think, I rarely use the word failure, I rarely care. I read that INFJs behave in this manner when angry, as in refusing to talk to the individual, waiting for the apology, etc.

Now me healthy is me immersing myself in whatever interest me, like the MBTI, Psychology, Computer Science, Physics, etc.
Now, when I post things I am interested in they sound like INTP interest, but these interest are more recent, and they serve a greater purpose, I am collecting as much knowledge as I can to use at my discretion, which is new to me. As a child I remember reading books on what interested me, I read mostly science books between ages 6-9, from ages 10-13 I read books on one very specific subject but that subject could change after a month very easily. From age 13-18 It was more specific, learning everything I could about the film industry from January 2010 to the Fall of 2010. 19-20(present) trying to learn everything no to man, I keep buying and reading books on mostly sciences, economics, and some philosophy. I am now supersensitve about my intellegence, despite having a IQ of 151 (according to my psychologist) and often being called intelligent by friends.

When I talk, and when I notice myself talking in a mirror, I am expressive and then I stop being expressive. One minute arms flailing, me yelling then quite. That looks like some form of Fe. I get tired from going to class, to the point that sometimes it becomes to much and I don't go. I am a terrible public speaker, not sure of that relates to mbti or not. I am shy around strangers but a 180 degree difference around friends. I prefer one or two close friends, the more spread I get the more I just repeat the same lines to the others, lines like "hows the weather" or "what are you doing this summer".(weak Fe being processed through Si?)

Today in class I had to read a poem and my teeth are still grinding because I mispronounced a word, twice. I do not like to be seen as incompetent. I went to another class after that and I noticed I was super sensitive to sound all of a sudden, the kid behind me with a cold snorting his snot and swallowing it, the people going in and out of the door. This sounds like Si gone rogue, or some weird Se I don't yet understand.

Well that's the inner workings of me, for the most part. INTP and INFJ would fit, but INTJ and ENTP seem like good choices. The only reason I think INFJ is due to my idealist approach to people when I am happy, and the fact that as a child I fit to a t the INFJ description "The development of INFJ children"

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
The Type 3 is very clear in your post as you seem to clearly express your desire for success, show competitiveness as well as are quite conscious of your image - and of course, there's the inclusion of personal achievements which is a hallmark 3. And I see you've typed yourself as a 3.

The reason why I'm posting in your thread is that it's just extremely hard for me to imagine an introvert as a Type 3 --- which is not saying that it's not impossible. I'm getting some strong "extroverted when healthy and successful", "introverted when sensing failure, or potential failure" vibes from your post.

Think about direction of energy. Extrovert energy is directed outward .. Do you get energized more when around people who admire you, respect you ... and lose energy fast in situation where there's a loss of admiration and respect, or an impending sense of social failure?

I would honestly suggest looking at Ne-Fe more than considering any of the introverted functions as your dominant more. I'm not too sure of how ENTP's experience Ne-Fe loops ... or even how they are under stress, but I do know that almost every extrovert out there does go through a phase of introversion during stress and we do tend to consider ourselves as introverts in those times.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
I thought we typed you as an ENTP before. None-the-less, you still come off as the same person as before. That would definitely be inferior S eruptions, since you're referencing how the environment is impacting you. You CANNOT type behavior, idealism, and interests, end of story. Any type can have these interests, behaviors, and idealism. That's all way too general to type.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Type 3 is very clear in your post as you seem to clearly express your desire for success, show competitiveness as well as are quite conscious of your image - and of course, there's the inclusion of personal achievements which is a hallmark 3. And I see you've typed yourself as a 3.

The reason why I'm posting in your thread is that it's just extremely hard for me to imagine an introvert as a Type 3 --- which is not saying that it's not impossible. I'm getting some strong "extroverted when healthy and successful", "introverted when sensing failure, or potential failure" vibes from your post.

Think about direction of energy. Extrovert energy is directed outward .. Do you get energized more when around people who admire you, respect you ... and lose energy fast in situation where there's a loss of admiration and respect, or an impending sense of social failure?

I would honestly suggest looking at Ne-Fe more than considering any of the introverted functions as your dominant more. I'm not too sure of how ENTP's experience Ne-Fe loops ... or even how they are under stress, but I do know that almost every extrovert out there does go through a phase of introversion during stress and we do tend to consider ourselves as introverts in those times.
I am very much a 3w4 (sx-sp) which I believe is more common in Fi types. I was talking about quantum mechanics with an astrophysicist enthusiast the other day and all I herd was "you really know your stuff" however I felt tired when I got back to my dorm. I was admired but at the same time I wanted to take his astrophysics ideas and figure them out because I am not an expert in that field.

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
I am very much a 3w4 (sx-sp) which I believe is more common in Fi types. I was talking about quantum mechanics with an astrophysicist enthusiast the other day and all I herd was "you really know your stuff" however I felt tired when I got back to my dorm. I was admired but at the same time I wanted to take his astrophysics ideas and figure them out because I am not an expert in that field.
Actually, based on what I've read, Type 3 is the most common for ENTJ's, ESTJ's, ENFJ's, ENTP's, ENFP's and ESFJ's -- and also can be seen amongst ESTP's ... I've seen that correlation spoken about on many web-sites and from that list alone you can see that it's even across cognitive functions --- but remains most common amongst extroverted types.

It's also said to be the most intuitive type in the Enneagram because "just knowing" goes along with inherently knowing what it needs to succeed - and is a huge part in the ability to succeed.

Si types are also fairly intuitive [therefore having an "N" isn't a requirement to be intuitive] in that they can use past experiences, information and extrapolate a set, or sets of outcomes from that. Se types are doers, and therefore correlate well with Type 3 as well.

What you're describing is less introversion and more a desire to collect more information to cement your ideas. It's also something that's required for success. You just *knew* you needed to get more knowledge. ENTP's aren't extroverted in the socializing sense [not always anyways], but more so with regards to living in a world of external possibilities, ideas ... They generally tend to speak first and think later as well.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought we typed you as an ENTP before. None-the-less, you still come off as the same person as before. That would definitely be inferior S eruptions, since you're referencing how the environment is impacting you. You CANNOT type behavior, idealism, and interests, end of story. Any type can have these interests, behaviors, and idealism. That's all way too general to type.
Yes, however, by studying how you act in the grip you can better understand your type. Davesuperpowers on youtube continues to confuse me about mostly Fe-Fi and Te-Ti. I even considered the fact that I may be an ISTJ simply because of how much I will live in the past to the point of obsession, and I hate thinking about the past, accept if its actually a good experience I am focusing on. I follow a routine but I follow my routine because I have no one to stop me. I compare my routine to the character Sheldon Cooper from the Big Bang Theory, accept I do not follow it to that massive of an OCD level. My TV viewing is scheduled, I eat dinner everynight alone at 4:30 and again at 7:00, I walk around my campus alone every night otherwise I get restless. Unlike Sheldon I want to be broken out of this routine, even though its a handful of "rituals" for lack of a better word I would prefer my friends to knock on my door and ask me to go to dinner at 5, you are intuitive so you probably get what I am saying. I read that this is more INTP Si than ENTP Si. Even as a child, from age 10-13 I did the same thing, I mostly do this out of depression I guess. As a child I seemed more Ni than Ne, I would find and interest, say trains, and engross myself in it, I would only read those books, I would relate all of my outward experiences to this course of study, and after 6 months or so it would disappear and I would find something else to engross my self in and the cycle would repeat. Now I am doing it with the MBTI, however, I am able to diversify a little more. I also would like to question why I feel a need to study physics, comp science, math, chem, electrical engineering, etc... I met a physics student who basically called me and my friend (both of us English majors) stupid because we couldn't do math (not true, but he assumed). This made me base my own intelligence on his perception, and I literally spent a year studying things that are good to know but don't interest me to prove to him I could not only equal his knowledge but exceed it, which is fine it doesn't take me long to learn something. I feel that I am not only proving to this d-bag that I an pittily a** English student can play with the big boys, but prove that liberal arts students can be just as smart. And now maybe you can see my self loathing, why I seem to let people impact me this way.

Due to this obsession I now spend hours a day reading books on these subjects, I don't even know if I like learning any more, I don't know what I actually like.
I am constantly told I am intelligent by people, one professor said I could have published a 20 page paper I wrote my freshman year (Gender Voting in the 2012 Election, I predicted the war on women way back in January 2011), but the fact that one individual deems me unintelligent bothers me more than Darfur. This feels good to get out considering it occupies my thoughts on a minute by minute basis. That is why last night I came to the realization that all of my problems are attributed to the people that surrond me, if I just cut off all social interaction in 3-4 years these thoughts would go away and I could return to an healthy mental equilibrium.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually, based on what I've read, Type 3 is the most common for ENTJ's, ESTJ's, ENFJ's, ENTP's, ENFP's and ESFJ's -- and also can be seen amongst ESTP's ... I've seen that correlation spoken about on many web-sites and from that list alone you can see that it's even across cognitive functions --- but remains most common amongst extroverted types.

It's also said to be the most intuitive type in the Enneagram because "just knowing" goes along with inherently knowing what it needs to succeed - and is a huge part in the ability to succeed.

Si types are also fairly intuitive [therefore having an "N" isn't a requirement to be intuitive] in that they can use past experiences, information and extrapolate a set, or sets of outcomes from that. Se types are doers, and therefore correlate well with Type 3 as well.

What you're describing is less introversion and more a desire to collect more information to cement your ideas. It's also something that's required for success. You just *knew* you needed to get more knowledge. ENTP's aren't extroverted in the socializing sense [not always anyways], but more so with regards to living in a world of external possibilities, ideas ... They generally tend to speak first and think later as well.
So a type 3w4 would strive to measure everything against the opinions of others, i.e, how they dress, what they know, how they behave, as I do this a lot.

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
So a type 3w4 would strive to measure everything against the opinions of others, i.e, how they dress, what they know, how they behave, as I do this a lot.
Probably not as much as a 3w2 who are the more social and gregarious of the two wings.

3w4's are more likely to be true-er to their own self-image, but still "dress to success" in order to impress. Like I know for me, I know what it takes to make a good impression on other people, but even the 'mask' I choose for myself has my unique stamp on it. I go for a well tailored unbranded suit instead of an "off the shelf" Armani for example [speaking in literal terms]. I'll get the best looking watch with the most functions so I can brag about it, but it doesn't have to be a Tissot or whatever. That sort of behaviour translates into the kind of knowledge I pursue, the kind of companies I choose. I prefer to go for the best, but still unique.

For example, when faced with the ultimate choice between a career in sociology which was something I was interested in, I decided to advance it to an MBA where I could apply my Sociology background to Marketing and Sales ... it also gives me a unique insight, and unique perspective ... That kind of unique combination allowed me to stand apart from my peers and yet still feel fulfilled and added a gold-star against my name. But the goal is still to succeed - to stand atop whatever profession I find myself in. If it's a profession that requires me to be 100% helpful to other people, I know I'll be able to do it .. and if it's a professional [as long as it's not purposefully harming people] where people aren't benefiting, I'll still do it from the perspective of succeeding at it. Choice of career is irrelevant as long as I can succeed in it.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I am concerned with how people view my intelligence, when I feel threatened by someone questing my intelligence I go into "lets make a plan mode", I then get into a train of thought such as "I should major in math so that I can throw it into everyone's face". I noticed at college people tend to rank you by your major, based on my observations it goes, Physics, Math, Chem Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Chemistry, Economics, Finance, Biology, Classics, Philosophy, English, Poli sci, Anthro, geology, geography, accounting, Business admin, History, religious studies all education majors, art, communications psychology and sociology. These are based on my observations, not a set of worth with which I agree (I would rather people become educated and well rounded at college, not judging value with which field they choose) with but you must admit at colleges this seems to be the case globally. Based on this info, I draw my conclusions about how I am perceived

1 - 9 of 9 Posts