1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
EvilShoutyRudolph
5,099 Posts
Eating pizza

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Chaos doesn't have meanings, so life (or anything else, really) has no meaning in any objective sense whatsoever. "Meaning" is artificially created by an individual to impose order over chaos. Makes one feel better, but that's about it. Other than that, pondering "the meaning of life" is a futile attempt to enlightenment.

·
Registered
987 Posts
The meaning of life is to reproduce itself. Many humans come up with a "meaning of life" that is really just an individualized and/or community belief that helps them get through the day/life, but that certainly doesn't apply to your garden-variety tardigrade, which is no less life.

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
It's an objective experience that provides a practical application environment to put subjective theoretical values to the test. This window of opportunity can also be used for additional learning experiences including the acceptance of mistakes, reorganizing your value stack, further refinement, etc. Then you die. I can't wait to see how I did. (I hear you get bonus points for teaching even if it's inadvertent.)

·
Registered
104 Posts
I agree with HeadofHudet's post. Meaning is something that we create for ourselves and is subjective. Searching for an objective "meaning of life" is futile, at least if I'm understanding the question. Everyone needs to find out what makes their own lives meaningful to them, and live accordingly.

We really do have to define "meaning" before we can answer the question, or we might as well answer it with "42." The closest thing to an objective meaning of life would be what SilverKelpie said about reproducing itself, since that it what all life tries to do, and it is the single purpose life has evolved for. I don't think that answer actually cuts to the heart of what the question is asking, though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It's a test persay. God won't trust you with anything big if you cant control yourself with little things. sorta like with health classes and eggs.. how can you take care of a babby if you cant even carry an egg arund with ya for a few days?

·
Banned
3,444 Posts
It's an objective experience that provides a practical application environment to put subjective theoretical values to the test. This window of opportunity can also be used for additional learning experiences including the acceptance of mistakes, reorganizing your value stack, further refinement, etc. Then you die. I can't wait to see how I did. (I hear you get bonus points for teaching even if it's inadvertent.)
I like it. However it raises :tongue: the question of where the subjective theoretical values come from. Objective places, no doubt (what else could they be?) and if this is true, everything reduces, and you find yourself a mere worker bee in a system you didn't set up.

And then, realizing that, you have a choice. Start another tedious thread on free will, or stand in awe that there's apparently a hive with all these cool hexagons. (And pass the honey.)

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Chaos doesn't have meanings, so life (or anything else, really) has no meaning in any objective sense whatsoever. "Meaning" is artificially created by an individual to impose order over chaos. Makes one feel better, but that's about it. Other than that, pondering "the meaning of life" is a futile attempt to enlightenment.
Have you read James Gleick's Chaos? I put it down actually after 50-100 pages (a bit too 'sciency' to my taste), but perhaps you might (have) like(d) it.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Have you read James Gleick's Chaos? I put it down actually after 50-100 pages (a bit too 'sciency' to my taste), but perhaps you might (have) like(d) it.
I don't think I'm dedicated enough to go too much in depth about random subjects. I considered reading it once when chaos theory was a subject of fascination to me, but like with all other interesting subjects, I move on to the next before it gets boring.

·
Registered
793 Posts
The meaning of life? Huh! you're hitting the big fish now...
Though are you sure what you're asking for?

Do you mean "what's the meaning of human life?", more specifically "what's the purpose and continued goal of the life of one specific individual of the human race?"

If this wasn't what you meant, and if you indeed did mean to get the overly complex and absurdly overwhelming answer to the specific question "what's the meaning of life?" in those exact words. My simplest reply would be my estimation of "reproduction, survival, conservation of energy"

But in the assumption that you meant "what's the purpose and continued goal of the life of one specific individual of the human race?"
without having to dwell deeply in every word and go totally retard on the precision. I'd reply the following.

_________________________________________________________________________________
I see to urgent categories of answers to which I'd like to put my answer into.
Either.
Is there even a meaning?
or
The meaning would be... Something trivial, which I'd find important to me and only to me

You see, in all of this the meaning is defined by the individual who dwells on whether there is a purpose or not.
One might be nihilistic, "accepting" that there is no purpose
or
one might be "accepting" of the idea of a purpose.
Either way the person looking at your question will determine their individual idea of this.

By no doubt you might already have pondered this and now you might seek enlightenment from others

My own purpose or goal of existence as some might call it, is simply to accumulate information about our mighty world. More specifically about time. I'd wish to describe time in the best possible way.

Reactions: NeonMidget

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
Almost there big man.
Yes, come Monday I'll have one foot in the grave. Very exciting times.

Inadvertent? That goes without saying. But what about fraudulent teaching? Or does that not count as 'teaching'?
Fraud is intentionally wrongful by definition so it doesn't count. If it's teaching falsehoods without fraudulent intent, I no longer consider it to be malicious and we've instead entered the realm of something I like to call Contagious Idiocy. And there's much that can be learned by observing idiots from a safe distance. Their pain, your gain. Bonus. Rejoice.

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
I like it. However it raises :tongue: the question of where the subjective theoretical values come from. Objective places, no doubt (what else could they be?) and if this is true, everything reduces, and you find yourself a mere worker bee in a system you didn't set up.
And then there's the solitary carpenter bee...What's going on there? Gaming the system? That would be nice, I can work with that. But if it turns out this isn't the case at all and everything boils down to Someone having a weird carpenter fetish and playing favorites...

And then, realizing that, you have a choice. Start another tedious thread on free will, or stand in awe that there's apparently a hive with all these cool hexagons. (And pass the honey.)
Honey is good. So is my standard response to 'No Free Will' threads. (You'll never catch me starting one though) Win-win.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts