Personality Cafe banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
People sometimes tell me that I am good at solving conflicts. It is is as if I were to create a career out of mediating and accommodating people and perhaps making a hell lot of peace. Then again I notice that I am helpless really... I can't just help myself. They tell me that I take the party to another step all together. I sometimes wonder why people have so many conflicts... yes you tell me; conflict in relationships... most importantly. So they might perhaps ask me: "What and how exactly is it that you solve conflicts: what is your technique?".... "What technique?" I then answer. Then again I never did make an effort to solve conflict... surprisingly enough... it is as if it just did happen... just like that. I tell them that you can't perhaps help yourself and perhaps it was just better that you did accept that.

So, other INFPs, are you good at mediating other people? And perhaps I should ask the same fool's question: what is your technique?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
You could try to become a legal mediator/arbitrator (see: alternative dispute resolution). That's what I'm trying to do. A law degree is probably best for that.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I'd say I'm pretty good. I've resolved a lot of issues between my friends. Mostly, I'm just talented in placing myself in other people's shoes and understanding where they come from. I'll listen to both sides and try to make each person aware of how the other person felt and how they could have said a certain thing in a better way. The only problem with my technique is that sometimes both people in the conflict think I'm taking the other person's side even if I tell them I understand where they were coming from. The conflicts often get resolved because I take the time to mention the other person's good qualities and feelings so everyone ends up understanding.

My conflicts may not end the same though... I find it hard to think clearly when I'm blinded by emotion.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Most definitely find it easy to mediate between friends and even between family members. I definitely try to slip on other people's shoes and see their viewpoint. You could also be some type of counselor, if you're legitimately into finding a career involving this.

Though, I know, you didn't exactly say that. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts