Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Meditation is a clinically tested way of increasing focus, clarity of cognition, balanced emotions, health and feelings of well being.

Do you meditate? (There are many different ways of meditating.)

What do you observe happens when you meditate (immediately and in the following days)?

·
Registered
903 Posts
I am not sure why this happens... but I have the same problem every time I purposefully try to meditate. Throughout the day, I am very calm and calculating. I have a decent attention span and focus. When I try to meditate however, I cannot quiet my mind. Normally when I think, it naturally comes in speech so I'm basically talking to myself in my head all day. This magnifies when I meditate and I end up with several voices talking over each other spewing random nonsense. It aligns with the descriptions I have heard of auditory hallucinations from schizophrenia however I know that isn't the cause because I don't have any other symptoms and it only happens when I meditate. I try to pay no mind to it, but it refuses to go away so I eventually give up. If anyone has experienced this, I would like to learn more about it.
There are other times when I get into what I consider a meditative state without intending to, though. This happens almost every time I drive alone. Also, when I dance or hula-hoop. I think it is because my mind has something to focus its attention on. Since I am active, it might not necessarily be meditation, however it does quiet my mind.

·
Registered
Infj
1,018 Posts
um well I tried meditating for controlling some anxiety I had. I just sat and concentrated on my breathing. It was calming and relaxing, but it was hard to keep my mind only concentrated on one thing for so long. Over time though I've gotten better at this.
I love hiking up this very large hill by our city and sitting at the top to look down at the city. It gives a sense of awe every time I do it. I sit and close my eyes and listen to the sounds and feel the breeze hit me. It's uber awesome and relaxing I'm not really sure how to describe it. Go try it for yourself lol

·
Registered
327 Posts
I used to meditate frequently, and I found that immediately after reaching a state of bliss -and a few days following- I had a disturbing sense of indifference. When I first experienced this I was intrigued, but I began to notice that the darkest of thoughts I could conjure up had little to no emotional effect on me.

Reactions: Ista

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I have a very active, distractable mind. It's hard for me to calm it down, but I do try. I find the best way for me to meditate is by focusing on my breathing or, if that doesn't work, imagining a calm or happy picture in my mind. (I go snorkeling a lot in my mind. While I'm concentrating on the colorful fish, my mind calms down and I can try to focus on my breathing again.) I do find it somewhat discouraging that it is SO hard for me to calm my mind down. But, inevitably, when I do, I feel more peaceful and calmer. I think it's something we can all benefit from in our frenetic, always-plugged-in world.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I've been mediating for quite a bit; the method I've been using lately is to put myself in the room around, be more aware of what things I'm in a spatial relationship with. If I can maintain this focus for around 10seconds I'll get this feeling as if I'm shedding a vale around me. I can feel perceive my breath again, my spatial awareness becomes crisper.

If I focus on my body, just relaxing, I get this really weird buoyant feeling inside of me, as though some stress is keeping me from relaxing all the way. If I force myself to relax into it I start to feel really warm for some reason, as if I've been working out.

One thing that erks me is that if I focus on a single thing long enough, I'll start to hallucinate, or hear, air current.

If these forms of mediation do anything, it's that they help me focus longer and process imediate information in my environment much more fluidly. I still find myself getting stressed over things, but I'm aware of it and can sort of stem off the distraction it creates.

Oh, I've also find that you can improve your imagination if you count your breath visually. At first you can just get used to using imagery over auditory thinking, but overtime you can add depth and color to the count to make it more difficult. Imagining the numbers further away really seems to help with generating a sense of space.

·
Banned
1,798 Posts
A cool way of meditation is doing it where it is noisy (like in traffic or on the tube) and focusing your attention on individual sounds, collective sounds, and sound grouping. Focusing on breathing in a quiet room is quite tough if you have an active mind. I find the alternative a lot more effective for relaxing and alleviating anxiety in general. I do it a lot with music, picking out the instrumental patterns individually and seeing how these pattern form when layer upon one another. It makes you realize that there is a lot of sensations out there that are pleasant to the brain but only if you try to focus on it.

<3 Ista thanked this post.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have meditated sporadically over the years. At one time I was able to reach a very relaxed state in a quiet room and eventually lose track of conscious thoughts. I was at that time working on ways to communicate with my unconscious mind (aka super consciousness, spirit, greater/higher self, etc). I had some success but gradually came away from the practice. I have tried numerous times since to re-institute the practice. Not much luck.

Last year I bought a DVD after reading a book by Esther and Jerry Hicks about the Law of Attraction. The DVD is Getting Into the Vortex. These are a series of guided meditations in which Esther channels Abraham, a spirit guide, and helps you to get to the meditative state. I think what it really does is to give you some words to hear and focus on while your body and spirit are calming so that by the time you get to the end of the guided meditation you are in the proper state to experience the benefits of meditation. But, it works. Esther says you are in the Vortex and this is the proper metaphysical connection you need to re-energize your spirit and communicate your intentions to the universe. So, I've done that for a few months and I've seen some benefits. At very least I am able to truly relax and re-invigorate.

In recent weeks I have been practicing Tai Chi and reading much about spiritualism, mysticism, yogi's, martial arts masters and such. I am focusing most of my meditations at this time on calming the mind, body and spirit to improve my focus and concentration. Master Rasaji Shakti has been guiding me and will soon be helping me to learn to meditate in the manner of the ancient masters of Tibet. Master Rasaji has spent time in Tibet learning from those masters and is teaching others like myself from this ancient wisdom. Also, just for the record, Tai Chi itself is an awesome way to meditate. The practice is over 3300 years old and is known as moving meditation. I'd give a link but I'm too much of a noob to do that yet. But, you can go to rasaji.com and learn more about him and his practice/life.

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
I haven't meditated in a very long time. I stopped trying as every time I tried a giant mental drill came at me slowly.

It looks like this, but only the drill-head(and less toylike ofc):

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
I've tried... sort of, but I find it difficult because my mind is constantly racing. It's never very long before I start telling myself that I'm just sitting there doing nothing and I could be doing something more productive with my time... or evaluating whether I'm focusing properly which then means I'm not.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I keep trying to meditate so I can find my power animal. I legit know I have an alligator watching over me as a guardian, but my power animal? IT ELUDES ME.

Meditation keeps letting me down lately haha.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
For some time now I've just meditated on my own without the instruction to do so, but not really known that that's what I was doing. So the few times I have been guided into meditation (as part of some group experience or something), I find myself ignoring what the person is saying and going through the process on my own. The last time I really let myself drift into that sort of consciousness, though, I actually started tripping out and hallucinating a bit. I envisioned myself as being trapped inside some sort of column where gravitational forces were zero on me, but I was allowed to rotate, so I kept feeling the ground I was laying on turn rapidly. It was really strange, I could actually feel it like there was significant angular momentum to the ground that was supposed to be supporting me. After the intense spinning stopped I saw a bunch of strange patterns of light. and some strange images.

While that was interesting, I find that the regimented meditation exercises are often actually too intense for me, or I just end up getting annoyed with the person's "guiding voice". I prefer to just give myself a moment of pause and reflection, and pick up on those things myself.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts