Personality Cafe banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There have been more than a few times where I told myself I was going to start meditating, but I can never stick with it. I find it very interesting and I'm an occasional lucid dreamer, so it shouldn't be too hard for me. The thing is, I can't sit still and not think of anything. I just can't. There is always something I feel like doing, whether it's going online, playing video games, playing "Magic the Gathering"...and that doesn't even include work, school and volunteer.

I'll tell myself I'm going to do it, and it'll last for about 2 minutes at most, then I'll think of something really awesome to do (or an excuse?) like "hey, I haven't watched this movie in a while", and I'll get up and watch it...then get bored of the movie about 10 minutes in. I can't focus on one thing for long unless it's something I'm extremely determined to do.

I want to do it, but I feel like the drive isn't completely there. I hop from one thing to another so much, it's insane. I mean, I have some drive, but when I start meditating, it bothers me that I could be doing something and I'm not.

Maybe there's something I need to work on first? Any and all tips would be very appreciated.

·
Banned
13 Posts
I've never been good at meditation at all, but I tried following along to /watch?v=Za2ZaBnrsnw this video (sorry, add that to the end of a youtube url, I don't have enough posts to post links yet), and it gave me enough to focus on that I had less trouble with the wandering thoughts.

And then about 10 minutes after it ended (I continued meditating), I lost all sensation in my body and it was so crazy I freaked out and snapped out of it. It was awesome. 10/10 would zen out again.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
It's all about routine. I will quote Rahula:

"At the beginning you will find it extremely difficult to bring your mind to concentrate on your breathing. You will be astonished how your mind runs away. It does not stay. You begin to think of various things. You hear sounds outside. Your mind is disturbed and distracted. You may be dismayed and disappointed. But if you continue to practice this exercise twice daily, morning and evening for about five to ten minutes at a time, you will gradually, by and by, begin to concentrate your mind on your breathing. After a period, you will experience just that split second when your mind is fully concentrated on your breathing, when you will not hear even the sounds nearby, when no external world exist for you. [...] Yet if you go on practising this regularly, you may repeat the experience again and again for longer and longer periods."

1 - 3 of 3 Posts