Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm finally registering and will be spending more time here to introspect and understand and help others. Hopefully meet some cool people too!

Although I've always been artistic, I've been influenced by various things during my life to pursue an analytical life both vocationally and in life-style. Fortunately, in college I had the great fortune to room with an INFP who was very wise in personality knowledge and he helped me begin embracing my natural inclinations as strengths instead of how I had been regarding them: as weaknesses.

After that initial experience I didn't think much about personality types again until a few years later when a romantic relationship went south. This long-term relationship with an ISTJ nearly destroyed me as I repeatedly tried to connect with her on a deep level and failed. Near the end and in the aftermath I was reminded of the MBTI personality types which shed a lot of light on the situation and helped me understand why it "just didn't work." Of course, personality types aren't everything as it's possible for anyone to have a good relationship, but it helped enough so I could figure out the rest.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to talking with people I can identify with as well as other interesting people and helping each other learn :)

Cheers,
- GGibson

·
Mr. CafeBot
13,102 Posts
Welcome to PersonalityCafe!

*You are hearing a robotic sounding voice coming towards you*

Greetings GGibson and welcome to PersonalityCafe!! My name is Mr. CafeBot. I am here to personally greet you and thank you for joining our humble little forum. No matter your type, you will surely experience a wonderful time with the members of this forum. We cater to all personality types so you will never feel alone or weird. Truth is this forum is full of weirdos!! Pleazeee hel.... *Ahem*I mean we have the nicest people you will ever meet. :)

If you need basic forum information our newbie guide link is here...
http://personalitycafe.com/intro/2319-friendly-guide-newbies.html

To keep the forum entertaining and safe, our forum rules link is here...
http://personalitycafe.com/announcements/540-personality-cafe-forum-rules.html

We have a facebook style chat that you can enable throughout the site... Just read on how to enable it here...
http://personalitycafe.com/support-suggestions/13046-personality-cafe-facebook-style-chat.html

If you need any help or have any suggestions, please let us know here...
http://personalitycafe.com/support-suggestions/

We will always be glad to help you!

Also don't forget to watch my music video...

Again, welcome to our forum GGibson. We hope that your experience with us is tremendously benevolent!

P.S.

Please tip me 1 gold. I need to buy more coffee! @[email protected]

·
Iron Fist
3,684 Posts
I don't really believe that it would change my life, but my mind is willing to change.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@Starri: True, I just mean my introduction is an example of how such a meeting started a life-changing experience related to personality types.

·
Iron Fist
3,684 Posts
@Starri: True, I just mean my introduction is an example of how such a meeting started a life-changing experience related to personality types.
Well then, welcome to the forums lovely person :happy:

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Welcome my fellow INFP. :happy:

·
Registered
873 Posts
Hi all, I'm finally registering and will be spending more time here to introspect and understand and help others. Hopefully meet some cool people too!

Although I've always been artistic, I've been influenced by various things during my life to pursue an analytical life both vocationally and in life-style. Fortunately, in college I had the great fortune to room with an INFP who was very wise in personality knowledge and he helped me begin embracing my natural inclinations as strengths instead of how I had been regarding them: as weaknesses.

After that initial experience I didn't think much about personality types again until a few years later when a romantic relationship went south. This long-term relationship with an ISTJ nearly destroyed me as I repeatedly tried to connect with her on a deep level and failed. Near the end and in the aftermath I was reminded of the MBTI personality types which shed a lot of light on the situation and helped me understand why it "just didn't work." Of course, personality types aren't everything as it's possible for anyone to have a good relationship, but it helped enough so I could figure out the rest.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to talking with people I can identify with as well as other interesting people and helping each other learn :)

Cheers,
- GGibson
Hey Gibson, nice meeting you. I've learned recently of MBTI. I thought how cool it was knowing that as an INFP, I'm not the only romantic&idealistic&polly-anna-ish idiot out in the world. I've always thought this to myself, "If people knew me, they wouldn't regret it". It's a vain statement to some, but it's my personality as a feeler to make everyone happy.

However, not all INFPs are created equal. I know 2 INFPs in my life, both male. I somewhat wish I was closer to one of them as a friend, but we hardly know each other. The other, I met once, who kept saying that I'm an ISFP and he was a huge douchebag to me and my friends. Go figure.

As for myself, I was a bit reclusive growing up. Not that it affected my academic career, but not a lot of my friends even got to know me during grade school. Maybe less than 3 or 4 total people outside my family really got to know me until college. I didn't really change their lives though.

It was in college that I became a 'mentally healthy' (to others, that is) person for the first time. And when I became social, I began to see how much potential I have in pleasing others, making them laugh, having a good time, etc. It began my first day at move-in, when I drank alcohol for the very first time. Since then, life has had its ups and downs, but mostly more ups, especially in recent months.

My summary: any healthy INFP can change anyone's life. Actually, any healthy Feeler in my opinion can, as long as they're open-minded, flexible & respecting of other people's values (even if your values are cross, who cares?), and acting rational. Just like poker, you shouldn't show your cards (my ENTJ father tells me).

I am very active in the youth ministry at my local church and the kids there really love me. I got to know some of them, especially the ones that live in single parent or no parent households. My Healer personality really comes out then, to be there for them and give them inspiration to succeed in school and in life.

Having been on here, I see a lot of healthier INFPs than me, and a lot of un-healthier INFPs too that. But I'm a positive thinker and I'll be on these forums with only good, helpful, and/or rational things to say, and hopefully I can help anyone. I'm on here to be helped as well (my signature says it all).

Knowing a positive INFP is life-changing, and good luck trying to get to know one. If he/she is reclusive, then act extroverted & silly. That will get their attention

James

1 - 13 of 13 Posts