Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious to see ENTP's preference when meeting new people.

I've noticed that I'm usually not very interested in meeting new people. This is probably due to the fact that I'm only ever interested in talking to someone if I find them interesting. While I've noticed a lot of people base this off of how nice a person is, I don't. For example, there's this girl in my Latin class who always talks and is nice and blah blah. A friend of mine was discussing how she wishes more people were like her and how she thought she was a great friend.... while I was unamused and found her boring and not someone I could relate to or have fun with at all.

Now I know ENTP was extroverts, but I have very few friends because of this fact since I don't like wasting my time talking to people who aren't entertaining, unpredictable or unique in a way... this usually leads me to befriending people who everyone else hates, think are too eccentric, rude, immature, intimidating, an asshole, etc. And end up having the best time in the world. I find screwed up people interesting too... people who are overly emotionally fucked up (I have a horrible habit of picking at their weaknesses and getting a kick out of seeing how they react... ESPECIALLY if they have anger issues. El oh el. )

So when meeting new people, do you just befriend anyone with no preference? Are there certain types of people who you can't be bothered talking to?

·
Registered
651 Posts
So.. meeting new people = possibly fun and interesting (in the moment). There's no need to befriend somebody right away, at least for me. I give everybody a chance to really prove themselves as far as "friendship" qualities go, but if I don't find them interesting I have a hard time building an attachment that lasts.

I can relate to your second paragraph, about befriending people everyone else hates lol. EVERYBODY in high school asked me why I was friends with a particular girl who was crazy eccentric, rebellious, immature, etc. Even my eccentric NT friends were like WTF?? But no matter, her nonconformity and indifference to other's opinions is was what drew me to her, and I never thought I wasted a moment of my time being her buddy :tongue:

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
slkdksljdhlskj

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh man, I have a huge thing for individual who are nonconformist (though not the ones who purposely do it just to be different... the ones that don't seem to be aware of the fact that they are) and people who are indifferent to other's opinions. And if they are guys and do this, it just makes it that much better.

Interesting that you stated you give everybody a chance to prove themselves. And no, meeting new people = possibly fun and interesting (in the moment). I'm not that interested in the moment as I am in actually the process of understanding them. If someone is very... out there and different, they're generally less predictable and therefore more interesting in trying to figure out and observe. I generally observe a person first and based on their behavior, I either form the curiosity or not.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,604 Posts
o_O

I'm similar.

Well, I am an INTP but even other introverts I've known will befriend a person just beacuse they're "nice".

I can't do it. Sometimes I misjudge the "nice" person and they turn out to be more interesting than I thought they were but the people who are just nice without any substance bore the shit out of me.

And how nice can they be, really? I don't understand how a person can have a total lack of a true personality. I'm always getting the impression that they aren't really that nice at all and just have no real interest in other people.

I've collect people from different groups, never have I entered a situation and tried to make friends with every person in that group because I simply don't like all of them.

But this works, the way I've ended up in any kind of group was by making friends with the one random person I liked and then meeting their friends, who I usually had something in common with.

Reactions: O_o

·
Registered
545 Posts
Stop being like me asshole!

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't understand it either. I just always figure that they are simply suppressing a 'true personality' in order to please those they are surrounding. Of course, there are tons of different type of 'nice people', the ones I have no interest in are the ones that go out of their way to please everyone. The ones that agree with you just for the sake of agreeing yet suppress their own opinions. And when I'm in class (ex: Latin) and see an individual who everyone manages to love and is nice to everyone... I somehow always get that vibe from them, that they are suppressing a true opinion and are souly focused on pleasing and getting individuals around them to like them. Now, that's great. Just not the type of person I'm interested in hanging around.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
....especially the quiet ones

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I'm not super interested in meeting new people, but I can. Just met a group of new people at dinner tonight, met them all, became the centre of attention, had some fun (if you caught the italics).

·
Banned
3,139 Posts
I actually enjoy meeting new people. It gives me the chance to act weird, and see the sorts of reactions I'll get. My friends are too used to my weirdness to get any good reactions from. Sometimes my friends and I will even team up and play pranks on the new individual. Big, immature fun.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I always thought the best way to form the healthiest social life possible was to interact with as many people as possible. Individuals who are trapped behind this inscrutable wall make me feel nauseated... they might be intelligent and kindhearted, but the face they present to the world is a very childish, judgmental one. Their worldview contains little variety. Could be because I grew up in rural and frustratingly homogeneous places, but it's my mission never to become that. Ever.

I'm ENTP so yes, most people bore me, but to find gold you have to thoroughly sift through mountains of sand. And even if you don't find gold you might find some other kinds of pretty rocks... or a grain of sand that actually IS interesting for whatever reason.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Interesting views. I guess I don't put much importance in having a social life to go out and meet all sorts of people. Takes too much energy which I can't say I have. I'd much rather get to know better and hang out with the individuals I'm already friends with rather than going out, meetings tons of people and only scratching the surface.

So with your gold metaphor... depends on how much value one puts on finding gold. I already have tons of gold, therefore am not interested in shifting through mountains of sand to find more. Rather if I happen to spot one spontaneously, only then will I try and grab it.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I go through spurts of seeking people out. Sometimes I want to do every activity I can to find new people, and other times I'm simply indifferent and won't go out of my way. I find it exhausting in my area to meet new people; I live in a place where the people care more about status, cars, and having children with a million after school activities rather than expanding their minds. Every now and then I find a new friend, but it's rare. So I give up for a while and give it another go a bit later.

·
Registered
155 Posts
While I do enjoy meeting new people, It isn't something I actively seek out. I have a small group of friends that I am very close to. I enjoy understanding people, and therefore would rather put lots of time into a few people than a little time into a lot of people. I usually won't really seek out new people without an ulterior motive.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I like meeting new people, don't like staying in touch with them. Usually if I go to a bar with people, I end up talking mainly to strangers while the people I came with stay amongst themselves.

I make a good first impression, so people give me quite a lot of attention when we first meet. This feeds my narcissism, making me somewhat addicted to talking to strangers. I've become very good at talking in a way that piques their interest so that they feel compelled to keep asking questions about me.

·
Registered
283 Posts
How I interact with new people depends on the situation. In general, I really don't like meeting new people because I have to start our relationship from scratch. And by relationship, I mean how much I can mess with someone before they truly get angry at me.

If I'm in a group, I tend to sit and observe, so I can see how the group interacts with each other and determine whether or not I could get along with the group. If I meet an individual, I am much more out of myself and crazy (especially if I'm hyper or I go into the I-don't-give-a-crap-about-what's-technically-socially-acceptable mood).

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
I love meeting new people. But, the same can't be said for everyone, and I just get confused halfway through because of all these weird subtle hints and glances I just cannot comprehend!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts