Personality Cafe banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently when 4s "integrate," or grow healthier, we begin to look more like 1s, becoming more objective and principled. I feel like we also get more organized and start setting higher standards for ourselves. So my question is how has this phenomenon manifested itself in your actions and thoughts as you've grown as a person? Also, I honestly don't know much about this topic but am interested, so if anyone has more knowledge about this, please share :)

Personally, I think that when I'm at my healthier stages, I gain more and more self-confidence the more that I achieve until I start setting my goals high and even feel motivated by being productive. I start controlling more of my life, both in positive and negative ways (example: creating a somewhat..haha structured schedule to avoid procrastination vs. setting higher standards for how little sleep I should be able to run on or how low my caloric intake should be). I start to place more importance on following the rules, too, and on conforming to expectations of me. I also shift from a more lethargic, depressed, head-in-the-clouds state to a more active, anxious, type-A state. I'm anxious when I'm in my slower, more depressed, more typical states, too, but it's more of an overanalytical anxiety as opposed to anxiety over getting things done...

·
Registered
70 Posts
I would say I have more of a tendency to follow through with things when I shift towards 1. Rather than just listen to my in-the-moment desires, I'm able to think more big-picture and go against the urges to follow my emotions, such as going to the gym when I really don't want to. I also do the right thing, rather than the thing I most want. Doing the right thing in this situation means doing something that I know will bring others and myself the most long term happiness, even if it goes against selfish desires to act in other, detrimental ways. An example might be to give someone space when you know that's what they need, despite wanting to comfort them in the moment. By following both of these, I gain more joy from life rather than the quick jolts of fleeting happiness I might get from life when I'm less healthy.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Since I'm healthier than I used to be, I've been noticing things. I've been getting more sleep, instead of staying up late. I've been eating healthier and following more rules and expectations. I've also not been bugging people as much (if that makes sense). I've also been more productive, though I do still procrastinate a bit. I've also been able to take a step back and look at a situation objectively sometimes, which allows me to calm down and not spiral down into one of my moody states.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
I've noticed for myself, being more self-disciplined and productive are definitely helpful. I think it's mostly because those things really make me present and less in my dream worlds thinking about how much I despise doing the work needed to be productive. This also boosts my self confidence, like OP mentioned.

I've also noticed minor things that help me a lot with feeling healthier...like picking out fine or unique things with my Husband that make our environment feel good. For example, I enjoy going into a unique household store and getting something that turns the ordinary into something more. It can be something as simple as a lovely decanter to serve wine in rather than straight from the bottle...or maybe a unique or interesting soup tureen to serve soup in.

For me, this is like the best of all worlds. I am present with my Husband, doing something together, finding things for our home which affects how I feel, and I also get to dream and fantasize. I imagine having a couple friends over and using the decanter; I imagine the evening and how nice it will be, how the presentation of something ordinary would become more, making it feel more interesting. I find that I can cherish the simplest material things because of how they make me feel. These things don't have to be new, so pulling out something I've had for a long time and using it will also tap into this.

And lastly, the key is making it into reality. Rather than simply fantasizing about the dinner with friends, actually making it happen.

That's just one example; everything isn't all about serving dishes for me, of course.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts