Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

One of my favorite artists! Her music is incredible. Cry Baby was my #1 favorite new release album of 2015.

I've seen her typed as the following:
-INTJ
-INFP
-ISFP
-INFJ
-ENFJ
-ENFP

I'm trying to make up my mind. I've only seen her typed INFJ, and I'd love to claim her one of us, but I'm not 100% certain. Sure, she's quirky, emotional, and her music does seem pretty Ni-dominant. But I could just as easily see INTJ or IXFP.

When I saw her live, she was probably equal parts sugary and sour.

"This is about the battle of aesthetics and morality; society tells you that no one will love you if you're not skinny and pretty but there's more to life than that, man. Life is about the impact you make, in my opinion. But you're all really cute. So whatever. This is one of my favorite songs I've ever written... MRS POTATO HEAD!"

"This is the song where Crybaby kills the Big Bad Wolf. I think we all have one. Some advice: just off him."

What do you think?

(No poll because trolls destroyed my Marina one)

·
Registered
INFJ 4w5
3,696 Posts
I'm going to retype as IxFP 4w3. She seems introverted. Very Fi. The quote you posted where she says, "Life is about the impact you make." points to Se. ISFP 4w3 is a real possibility to me.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm going to retype as IxFP 4w3. She seems introverted. Very Fi. The quote you posted where she says, "Life is about the impact you make." points to Se. ISFP 4w3 is a real possibility to me.
Funny, that quote got me thinking INFP. She seems extremely philosophical.

·
Registered
INFJ 4w5
3,696 Posts
Funny, that quote got me thinking INFP. She seems extremely philosophical.
Well, but why can't ISFP be philosophical w/ tertiary Ni (assuming an intuitive function is what makes one philosophical)? Fi can be philosophical, too. As she says, "This is about the battle of aesthetics (Se) and morality (Fi)," which to me seems like an Fi-Se dynamic. You've typed Lana del Rey as ISFP in the past, and after listening to a few of her songs, her music has that same "vibe," I guess you could say. She also seems to be a 4w3.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, but why can't ISFP be philosophical w/ tertiary Ni (assuming an intuitive function is what makes one philosophical)? Fi can be philosophical, too. As she says, "This is about the battle of aesthetics (Se) and morality (Fi)," which to me seems like an Fi-Se dynamic. You've typed Lana del Rey as ISFP in the past, and after listening to a few of her songs, her music has that same "vibe," I guess you could say. She also seems to be a 4w3.
Fair enough. ISFPs can be philosophical as well. But I'd say it's more characteristic of young INFPs to be reflective in general.

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
@Joy In The Dance @Gray Romantic @Deadly Decorum I think I've seen all of you mention her? Thoughts?

Her music seem Pi>Pe to me.

She seems a bit like an exaggerated NFP, but I'm getting Fe from this interview that youtube played for me after the one @Wednesday Mermaid shared.

Towards the start she says "Right now, pop music, it's not being used the right way." That's an objective, external value judgment. And it seems to be important to what she is doing. She is trying to redirect pop music towards something more honest. Seems like something an NFJ and yes even an SFJ would do. However, I don't have a strong opinion on her type atm.

·
Queen of Hearts
17,939 Posts
I think she is an ESFJ 4. As Fair Phantom pointed out, she does speak in a very Je way, and I think it's Fe. Si-Ne makes sense. I cannot see ENFJ.

4 though. The way she puts her shame on display...personally, as a 2, it gives me extreme second-hand embarrassment watching it (although I appreciate it) and I can't imagine doing that. I think she's clearly an image type, but 2 and 3 don't make sense.

Like...

Compare to Taylor Swift, also SFJ but probably 2 or 3. If she addresses shame at all -- which she doesn't, really -- it's in a much more roundabout way. She doesn't put her emotions on the table the same way Melanie Martinez does. Even in interviews, by the way. Lana del Rey would be another comparison point -- ISFP, but 2, and though her songs are fairly direct in addressing her own emotions, she approaches interviews very differently.

Compare:

edit: forgot to explain

When Lana del Rey is talking about something personal, she addresses it pretty directly with Fi but she seems to sort-of abstract herself from the subject, take a step back, like at 2:08, she makes a funny voice almost "I'm usually always singing about" *voice change* "The same goddamn person"

Whereas Melanie doesn't seem to do that, she seems guarded but she dives right in anyways. It's a difference.

Her 'childlike' image seems both rather Si, Si-Ne, and possibly self-pres.

Reactions: Toroidal and Adena

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@Joy In The Dance @Gray Romantic @Deadly Decorum I think I've seen all of you mention her? Thoughts?

She seems a bit like an exaggerated NFP, but I'm getting Fe from this interview that youtube played for me after the one @Wednesday Mermaid shared.

Towards the start she says "Right now, pop music, it's not being used the right way." That's an objective, external value judgment. And it seems to be important to what she is doing. She is trying to redirect pop music towards something more honest. Seems like something an NFJ and yes even an SFJ would do. However, I don't have a strong opinion on her type atm.
I am reading some serious Fe from this as well. Starting to thinking she might actually be an INFJ. Maybe ENFJ.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think she is an ESFJ 4. As Fair Phantom pointed out, she does speak in a very Je way, and I think it's Fe. Si-Ne makes sense. I cannot see ENFJ.

4 though. The way she puts her shame on display...personally, as a 2, it gives me extreme second-hand embarrassment watching it (although I appreciate it) and I can't imagine doing that. I think she's clearly an image type, but 2 and 3 don't make sense.

Like...

Compare to Taylor Swift, also SFJ but probably 2 or 3. If she addresses shame at all -- which she doesn't, really -- it's in a much more roundabout way. She doesn't put her emotions on the table the same way Melanie Martinez does. Even in interviews, by the way. Lana del Rey would be another comparison point -- ISFP, but 2, and though her songs are fairly direct in addressing her own emotions, she approaches interviews very differently.

Compare:

edit: forgot to explain

When Lana del Rey is talking about something personal, she addresses it pretty directly with Fi but she seems to sort-of abstract herself from the subject, take a step back, like at 2:08, she makes a funny voice almost "I'm usually always singing about" *voice change* "The same goddamn person"

Whereas Melanie doesn't seem to do that, she seems guarded but she dives right in anyways. It's a difference.

Her 'childlike' image seems both rather Si, Si-Ne, and possibly self-pres.
ESFJ seems like quite a stretch, honestly.

She's known for being quirky, original, and dark. I'm not sure ESFJs would be comfortable with or embrace the whole "corrupt youth" motif so willingly. They tend to shy away from cynicism whereas Melanie seems to love a challenging concept. I'm not sure I could see an ESFJ writing stuff that questions authority and popular opinion so far.

I don't know where you're getting Si from entirely. Care to elaborate?

·
Queen of Hearts
17,939 Posts

She's known for being quirky, original, and dark. I'm not sure ESFJs would be comfortable with or embrace the whole "corrupt youth" motif so willingly. They tend to shy away from cynicism whereas Melanie seems to love a challenging concept. I'm not sure I could see an ESFJ writing stuff that questions authority and popular opinion so far.

Well, so is Emilie Autumn, and she's probably an ESFJ as well.
Si often will be cynical, if it feels that expectations (let's say, perfect childhood) are not being met. It can be very..uncompromising in that way.

Attacking the beauty industry is already not revolutionary, but ESFJs are very capable of revolutionary thought.

I'll talk more about Si later, but where do you see Ni?

·
Registered
INFJ 4w5
3,696 Posts

I don't see how that's necessarily Fe. To me, it sounds like she has some internally derived standard that she's using to compare pop music to her music. At the same time, her music and the way she talks about pop music being about drinking, partying may be inf. Se, or a concern with more integrity, "honesty", as she says, which would be Fi. In this case, she seems more Fi.

Yeah, I'm with you on this one. Not an ESFJ or ENFJ. "Dollhouse" sounds like Fe vs Fi. It's the Fe-doms who put on their "dollfaces." I still say IxFP 4w3 maybe even 4w5 for Melanie.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, so is Emilie Autumn, and she's probably an ESFJ as well.
Si often will be cynical, if it feels that expectations (let's say, perfect childhood) are not being met. It can be very..uncompromising in that way.

Attacking the beauty industry is already not revolutionary, but ESFJs are very capable of revolutionary thought.

I'll talk more about Si later, but where do you see Ni?
Sure, anyone is capable of revolutionary thought. I'm just not sure anyone would feel inclined to write a song about it.

I've never seen Emilie Autumn typed ESFJ, lol. ENFX is all I've ever seen.

Si is certainly cynical, unrelentingly so, but I would not expect them to be so "disrespectful" about social norms. I'm not trying to stereotype, I've simply seen nothing but great respect for family and traditions from Si users. For example, My ISTJ grandmother is scientific in nearly every way and will rip things she sees as being "unworthy" to shreds. She gets extremely upset about things that are unjust or morally "not right".

However, they tend to feel inherently loyalty towards their families and the "establishment". I don't think an ESFJ would write "Dollhouse". An Fe user, sure. But an Si user writing about how their dad is with a slut and their mum is drinking to forget the infidelity? That seems to be a bit much.

Beyond that, ESFJs don't seem to handle "weirdness" well. At least, not all the way. They like everyone's quirks, but I don't think they would enjoy living in the realm of avant garde like Melanie puts on.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.