Personality Cafe banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
MOTM July 2015
6,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm kind of posting this as a trivia-ish interesting little thing. After my numerous misadventures with several acquaintances and friends I ocassionally try to lure into the field of my musical interests ("why, those choirs sound unsettling!"), and because of my strange liking for this oldschool little instrument, here it is. The mellotron looks more-less like a small piano but inside there are no strings nor little hammers but short pieces of audio tapes with sounds of different instruments recorded on them, sort of an analog sampler. Auntie Wikipedia explains it in detail: Mellotron - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Because the technology wasn't all that perfect, the sound produced by the mellotron wasn't the exact same sound as the real instrument/set of instruments/what have you, and had a dream-like though a bit eerie feel about it. Seems like it was mostly embraced by progressive rock bands/musicians (but if you somehow happen to know a song or band utilizing it outside of the genre, you can let me know, I'll be pleased ;>)
Some examples if you're unfamiliar with it:

Intro, and also returns a few times later on
All that sounds like an orchestra here:
A lot of mellotron here.
And... Choirs! One of my personal favourites, those choirs are

Also the flute-ish intro from Strawberry Fields. Yes, that one.

That's it... I felt like it deserved its own thread.

·
MOTM July 2015
6,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds nice. I'd like to see a real one someday.
I wonder if someone still uses that, nowadays everything is synthesized... I've heard mellotrons were so delicate, while also very heavy, that they would frequently break or malfunction-which is why the members of King Crimson called their black-colored mellotron "the black bitch". Would be nice if there was some oldschool enthusiast willing to demonstrate the thing in all its glory though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.