Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alright. So, I've been messing around with the Enneagram for a while (couple years now); but I do think it would be interesting to hear from the peanut gallery. Sometimes I question my first and second types in my tritype (whether I'm a Enneagram Type 4 or Type 7; other typings welcome of course!). So, it will be interesting to see what everyone here thinks. Here I go!

Main Questions

1. What drives you in life? What do you look for?

Happiness, enjoyment, beauty, fun, and living a meaningful + fulfilling life drives me. I have absolutely zero ambitions when it comes to career; I am not interested in career development. I have career hopped since graduating from college (double major in Psychology + Fine Art), from Social Work, to Daycares, to being a Nanny for various families. I am currently a homemaker and stay-at-home mother (soon-to-be), and that makes me happiest, because I can create my own rules, schedules, and have a more balanced life. I can plan fun activities for my family, and my husband and I have plenty of time to spend together, as well as volunteer and travel. I would struggle being pinned into a 9-to-5 type job atmosphere. I am driven towards stimulating activities (even if it's simply a deep conversation with my husband), and I enjoy intensity of emotion and spirit. I love raising children, because I can play in the mud with them, dance in the rain, and really absorb all the excitement of the experiences with them.

2. What do you hope to accomplish in your life?

I hope to adopt children from foster care with my husband, and perhaps work in an orphanage overseas later on. We feel like our joint calling is really in family life and being a home and safe-haven to children. My husband and I work as a team, and hope to give as many children a home as possible (since our childhoods were not the best; we hope to "pay it forward" positively, for others who come from our situations). If you have ever seen the movie "Hook", I would be happy to be that rendition of Wendy (she does extensive work with foster care and raising children, and can be quite the kid-at-heart herself; was disappointed in Robin William's character "Peter" for becoming a "pirate" by working the 9-to-5, etc. . .). I hope that my husband and I travel a lot, and really enjoy and take in all that life has to offer in every little detail (even the mundane).

3. What do you hope to avoid doing or being? What values are important to you?

I hope to avoid the work world, or "adult" world. I can be an "adult" and be responsible (file taxes, pay bills, clean the house, cook for my family), but I don't fit in with other adults in the office environment, since I'm such a kid-at-heart. I hope to avoid boring activities, and routine office type jobs. I hope I can stay a free-spirted individual.

Moral integrity and principles are of the utmost importance to me. I'm not sure if this is because I was raised by an Enneagram type 1, or what have you, but integrity, moral conviction, and principles are super important to both myself (and my husband). I value honesty, authenticity, fun, childishness, innocence, hope, the truth, people, children, finding beauty in the ordinary, and enjoying and appreciating each moment of life.

4. What are your biggest fears (not including phobias)? Why?

Being stuck. Sometimes it has been hard to get to a "better place" when you come from a broken home. I have always had hope that I could rely on myself to pull myself out of that bad situation. But sometimes, it feels like I will never reach happiness, or financial comfort, or a functional marriage, or a functional self! I work hard to mend what the past broke, so that I can have the best/happiest/most wonderful life that existence has to offer! :D

Make up for lost time.

5. How do you want others to see you? How do you see yourself?

I don't think much about how I want others to see me. I guess, I would hope that they see me as a fun, kind, humorous, witty, innocent, non-threatening, exciting, happy, enjoyable-to-be-around, creative, intelligent, principled, loving, loyal, honest, intense, genuine, fierce, human being. As for how I see myself, well, I just described it. Thusly, I hope that people see me how I see me; I guess.

6. What makes you feel your best? What makes you feel your worst?

I feel my best when I am around those I am intimate with and love (close inner circle); Disney World; having fun, sunny days, adequate sleep + food + other self-preservation needs, The beach, beauty, inspirational movies, inspirational quotes, talking, being silly, and enjoying what the world has to offer with lack of expectations or agendas on my plate (think childhood in the summer).

Things that make me feel my worst. . .I guess I don't think about that as often. Sometimes large social groups or expectations make me really anxious (or people who are un-happy with me, or blame me for their negative emotions). Being a part of the 9-to-5 office environment was pretty soul crushing. Being picked-on by others, or an outcast of sorts. Boring activities. Being stuck (unable to move forward in plans or excitement). Mundane tasks, cooking, cleaning, paperwork, etc. . . Fighting with those I love. Being judged. Hurting someone's feelings.

7. Describe how you experience each of: a) anger; b) shame; c) anxiety.

a.) Anger: I experience anger when I've been pushed to the end of my rope (or when I see someone being bullied; one of my pet peeves is bullying). I try to stay calm and be "polite" and work out differences verbally and maturely. But, if someone attacks me, or energy spikes, I have a tendency to not be able to combat that and my energy spikes (and can be a bit overwhelming). I use anger as protection at times (for myself or others; I tend to champion the "underdog"). & while I don't consider myself an "angry" person, I frequently wear my heart on my sleeve, and it's hard for me to "mask" emotions (they are all on the tip of my tongue).

b.) Shame: Now this is a big one that I'm not sure I ever feel. . .it's definitely not something I ever think about, or perceive myself as feeling. I never think, "oh, I feel so ashamed". I've felt embarrassed before, and I've felt my actions were wrong before, but I'm not sure I usually feel these feelings at the same time. Sometimes other people make me feel bad about myself, but I (on the whole) quite like myself. Sometimes I make mistakes and feel anxiety, but I'm not sure if this is the same thing. To be honest (& I'm sure this is not possible), but I feel like I'm not certain I've ever felt the emotion of "shame" in particular.

c.) Anxiety: Now this. This is an emotion I experience frequently! I get anxious about a lot of things. I get a lot of social anxiety. I worry about what I said to someone, or the look they gave me in response to something I said, or whether my husband will find a job (or we'll be homeless), or if we'll be good parents, or if this or that. I worry a lot. I worry at least 3 times a day (probably a lot more; I don't keep track). Sometimes this behavior makes me feel more like a Type 6 than a Type 7; because I feel I can be more reactive with my anxiety (and usually try to "talk it out" or "deal with it", than distract myself or run away from it).

8. Describe how you respond to each of: a) stress; b) unexpected change; c) conflict.

a.) Stress: I respond to stress depending on the type of situation. If it's "crunch time" I can completely calm myself down, and almost become 8-like. If I need to lead in a crisis, I can do it. If I need to stay calm, it happens. But anything short of a crisis, and I become an anxious, reactive, mess. I need to talk out my stress with friends and loved ones, and "problem-solve" the situation, sometimes I learn a new skill to help me, or some other proactive step. I try to avoid stressful situations as much as possible, and sometimes I'm willing to cut just about anything (or anyone) stressful out of my life. I would prefer a calm, laid back (but exciting and fun) life. No drama please.

b.) Unexpected Change: I may worry about unexpected change, but I'm pretty quick on my feet. & While I would prefer stability, some change is even welcome. I can embrace change to some degree, and even enjoy it. I can usually "roll with the punches", though, some anxiety may ensue.

c.) Conflict: I prefer to have diplomatic discussions of both parties emotions, and "clear the air" as much as possible. I am well aware that when things "fester", it will become an even bigger problem. So, I have no problem airing grievances (especially mine), or discussing issues. Actual conflict makes me concerned that the other person and I no longer like one another. I don't prefer anger, or aggression, or pettiness (or drama). I like to be able to discuss a problem (maybe have some emotions), and move forward with a solution (the quickest way out of a conflict). Conflict is an ends to a means for me, and I do not particularly enjoy it.

9. Describe your orientation to: a) authority; b) power. How do you respond to these?

a.) Authority: I tend not to like authority. I prefer hands-off, laissez-faire authority. I am a pretty independent person, so just tell me what to do, and let me handle it in my own way, on my own time. This tends to be why I resent (and avoid) the 9-to-5 routine. I could fare much better as my own boss, as an entrepreneur. I don't actively "hate" authority; I'm not anti-authority. I just prefer everyone be equal, and that people not control me. For example, I don't mind following a "leader", so long as they tell me what they need and let me give that to them however works best for me.

b.) Power: Could care less. Next! I don't think about power, need power, want power. Nada.

10. What is your overall outlook on life and humanity?

My overall outlook on life is usually positive, though I can get into anxious or depressive, worried states (usually when things are pretty difficult or bad though). I feel positively about life, and I want life to be a positive experience.

Optional Questions

11. Discuss an event that has impacted your life significantly; more importantly, how you responded to it.

The first thing that comes to mind is my abusive childhood. It has hugely impacted my life. I handled it by trying to work through it, keep hope, stay as positive as possible, but also address feelings and work through issues. Sometimes I struggled with self-harm or wanting to commit suicide, but I had a few close, trusted friends who would always talk to me when I was struggling and either cheer me up, or listen to my feelings. Once I got out of my home, I worked as hard as possible to be myself, understand who I was, and build the life I wanted (work towards happiness as much as possible). I don't want to be depressed, I want to be happy all the time, coming out of a place where that was not possible was hard. I tend to be good at finding the good in the bad.

12. Comment on your relationship with trust.

I am a very trusting person. I use to be too naive and trusting, and after being burned and put in some dangerous situations, I have since learned to temper my trust a little. I still trust others until proven otherwise, but make more of a point in attempting to understand whether a person is trustworthy. I trust myself to a fault. I believe in myself, and understand that I am capable of anything I put my mind to, and getting to where I want to go. I trust others, but I trust myself more.

13. List some of the traits you: a) like; b) dislike most about yourself.

a.) Like: (everything I see myself as from above) fun, kind, humorous, witty, innocent, non-threatening, exciting, happy, enjoyable-to-be-around, creative, intelligent, principled, loving, loyal, honest, intense, genuine, fierce, human being.

b.) Dislike: Impulsive, can be reactive and volatile when upset (like a toddler throwing a temper-tantrum); live so much in the moment that when the moment is bad, it's really bad (conversely, when it's good, it's really good); struggle with social anxiety and feel like everything's my fault (most of this stems from my troubled childhood, and I feel that this would not be there if it were not for that). That's about it; I really like who I am as a person (personally).

14. What do you see or notice in others that most people don't?

Everything. I'm good at noticing people. I really enjoy noticing and complimenting others. My father once told me people are not thanked enough, so I try to do that as well. I try to notice people as much as possible, because I appreciate others.

15. If a stranger insults you, how do you respond/feel? What if they compliment you?

I feel really bad about myself, self-conscious, anxious, and sad if someone insults me (stranger or otherwise). If they compliment me, I feel the inverse, really happy, excited, and great! :)

16. What's something you are: a) thankful you have; b) wish you could have? Why?

a.) I'm thankful I have my husband, cats, my life, and a future.

b.) I wish I could have kids right now (we're waiting on finances), live near Disney World, and the money to make our home nice (I enjoy interior design). I also wish I could have extended family in my life.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
That was incredibly exhausting and time consuming to finish; so I really hope I get some responses! (lol)

I apologize if some of my answers are short. Please let me know if you have any additional questions, or need any additional information; I'd be happy to provide it! Primary typing, instinctual stacking, and tritype guesses welcome!

Really excited to hear from all of you! :D

Reactions: Darkbloom and Quang

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
I definitely think that you are a 7w6 with a pretty strong 6 wing. The emotional intensity of the post combined is inclined to make me think sx first, and most likely an sx/sp.

Reactions: o0india0o

·
🎀
11,795 Posts
I'm obviously no expert but you do sound 7w6 to me.What do you think of 9w1 for a gut fix?
Also,I'm not really seeing you as 4w5 heart,maybe 2w1?
And how sure are you of being So last?Some things strike me as So-ish
What 7 subtype do you relate to the most?I don't really believe people should type themselves by subtype descriptions alone but it can be helpful

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[Double Post]

Apologies. :)

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm obviously no expert but you do sound 7w6 to me.What do you think of 9w1 for a gut fix?
Also,I'm not really seeing you as 4w5 heart,maybe 2w1?
And how sure are you of being So last?Some things strike me as So-ish
What 7 subtype do you relate to the most?I don't really believe people should type themselves by subtype descriptions alone but it can be helpful
Well, I'm glad that so far, everyone thinks I sound like what I thought I was (that is a relief). :)

I'm not sure, about 9w1, a Type 9 is something I considered, but I feel I'm not "peaceful" enough, Ha Ha. I can be quite emotional and emotionally volatile and reactive when I'm upset (think Type 6 or Type 4).

Well, I'm not sure between 4w5 or 4w3, but I'm pretty sure about Type 4. I went to art school, and am super creative and in-touch with my emotions. I spend a lot of time observing, analyzing, and typing other people. That's part of why I was concerned that I might actually be a Type 4. I am very introspective.

The only Type 2 thing (as far as "helper" goes) that I do is that I want to help kids (but that's fun for me too :D). If something is not enjoyable for me, I'm not as likely to "help". Also, I have no relationship to pride.

I just think maybe the questions they asked didn't really touch on my Type 4-ish-ness.

I came to my third tritype number through the Personality Cafe tritype test. . .not sure how accurate that test is, but it typed me as: 7w6 4w5 1w2 (so what I have right now as my signature). I kind of just rolled with that, because I feel a bit of a connection to Type 1, the 2-wing would bring in the possible 2-ness you are zoning in on, perhaps?

I relate most to the Type 7 Self-Preservation subtype. I have struggled figuring out whether I'm SX or SP first. I'm an emotionally intense person (which is part of why I thought I might be Type 4 first), but otherwise, I don't necessarily consider myself a very "intense" person. I go to bed early, make sure to get 8 hours of sleep, eat healthy, put on sunscreen, don't like going to bars or concerts. XD I can be kind of square. I've never tried drugs (other than alcohol; & I don't even like it). But I really relate to being SO last, because I'm SO-illiterate. XD Sometimes I wish I wasn't, but at the same time, it's too much work to learn all the rules!

Thank you so much for responding and giving typing me a shot! I really appreciate it! :)

Reactions: Darkbloom

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I definitely think that you are a 7w6 with a pretty strong 6 wing. The emotional intensity of the post combined is inclined to make me think sx first, and most likely an sx/sp.
Thanks for responding to my forum thread! I really appreciate it!

You are able to make really insightful comments, with very few words.

Thanks for the input, and good luck figuring out your type! :)

Reactions: Despotic Nepotist

·
🎀
11,795 Posts
Well,definitely not core 9,but I think as a fix it's very possible actually.
Healthy 2 is supposed to have positive traits of type 4 so maybe that's it?
You just really vibe me as 792 or 729,very soft,light and positive,I think double 1 wing plus 7's connection to 1 is enough 1-ishness for you.

Gotta think a bit more about the instincts :)

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Hello, lovable otter friend!

You appear to have a very strong 7w6 fix in you. The avoidance of being stuck, limited, routine, and the need for rich, diverse, fulfilling, experiences are indicative aspects of the 7's personality structure. Another niche aspect of 7 is the egalitarian mindset towards people- a laissez-faire stance towards authority. You have a style of writing that is fluid and upbeat. SX7 is the archetypal eternal child, elf, 'Peter Pan' of the Enneagram and I identified this in your writing. SX7 has a child-like impulsiveness, due to the immense curiosity, need for stimulation and change. SX 4-7 has a very strong propensity towards being addicted to emotion highs, gambling, manias and stimulants.

Behind the need for happiness, joy, adventure, beauty, ideals is the underlying feeling of frustration directed towards the present. 147 is among the most idealistic 'utopian' type along with 479's 'dreamy' idealism and the triple positive 279. 4's melancholic beauty combined with 7's upbeat positivism results a polarity between 'positive' and 'negative' energies, while 1's: control (serious) and 7's: no control (crazy) results a polarizing push and pull movement between the need for freedom and order. In my opinion, 147 is a very interesting tritype because of the double juxtaposition trait.

To conclude, I would say that you are on the right path: it is very likely you have the 147 tritype series and very likely to be type 7 as core type: so perhaps 741 or 714 as suggested.

·
Banned
236 Posts
I think your core type is 2, probably 2w1. I can also see 7 and 9, I'd go with 2w1 7w6 9w8 tritype for you.
When it comes to variants you seem to be an sx/sp.

·
🎀
11,795 Posts
@Quang don't you think 147 sounds a bit too...crazy? XD
I mean,not in negative way necessarily,but triple frustration,it must feel and sound :frustrating:
Perhaps with either only 4 or only 1?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
double post:angry:
Ha Ha! I like the face you posted with this. :D

I've been thinking about what you said about Type 2, & I'm coming around to the idea a bit. As a kid, I found an Enneagram book, and related to Type 2 a lot. So, maybe. . .

But my confusion with Type 7 vs. Type 4 (I guess it did not really come out in the questionnaire), but I tend to be really emotional, reactive, and introspective. I just feel like these qualities are associated with Type 4, and almost never associated with Type 7. I am very self-aware, and very good at reading other people as well (one of my majors in college was Psychology for this reason, and Fine Art was my other major, which seems rather 4-ish also). These probably seem like trivial things, but people always make these traits seem very anti-type 7.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I got to eat some noms, guys. I'll be back later!

Thank you everyone for your responses! Loving the input! :D

Will write some responses up after dinner!

·
🎀
11,795 Posts
7 is a head type and has line to 5,don't forget that :)
You just have 729/792 vibe to me(although 4 is possible,2 feels a bit more likely though) and I'd be surprised if you turned out to be 147 tritype.That otter is not a 147 :tongue:

But I'd advise you to just write,whatever comes to your mind,maybe we find out something.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Ha Ha! I like the face you posted with this. :D

I've been thinking about what you said about Type 2, & I'm coming around to the idea a bit. As a kid, I found an Enneagram book, and related to Type 2 a lot. So, maybe. . .

But my confusion with Type 7 vs. Type 4 (I guess it did not really come out in the questionnaire), but I tend to be really emotional, reactive, and introspective. I just feel like these qualities are associated with Type 4, and almost never associated with Type 7. I am very self-aware, and very good at reading other people as well (one of my majors in college was Psychology for this reason, and Fine Art was my other major, which seems rather 4-ish also). These probably seem like trivial things, but people always make these traits seem very anti-type 7.
7s can be intellectual as well, however the style in which 5s (often linked with the generic intellect) and 7s gather information is different... While 5s delve deeply into knowledge at a laser point, often in a more sequential and logical manner, 7s string interesting pieces of unrelated information together in a creative manner, jumping back and forth between pieces of information.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hello, lovable otter friend!

You appear to have a very strong 7w6 fix in you. The avoidance of being stuck, limited, routine, and the need for rich, diverse, fulfilling, experiences are indicative aspects of the 7's personality structure. Another niche aspect of 7 is the egalitarian mindset towards people- a laissez-faire stance towards authority. You have a style of writing that is fluid and upbeat. SX7 is the archetypal eternal child, elf, 'Peter Pan' of the Enneagram and I identified this in your writing. SX7 has a child-like impulsiveness, due to the immense curiosity, need for stimulation and change. SX 4-7 has a very strong propensity towards being addicted to emotion highs, gambling, manias and stimulants.

Behind the need for happiness, joy, adventure, beauty, ideals is the underlying feeling of frustration directed towards the present. 147 is among the most idealistic 'utopian' type along with 479's 'dreamy' idealism and the triple positive 279. 4's melancholic beauty combined with 7's upbeat positivism results a polarity between 'positive' and 'negative' energies, while 1's: control (serious) and 7's: no control (crazy) results a polarizing push and pull movement between the need for freedom and order. In my opinion, 147 is a very interesting tritype because of the double juxtaposition trait.

To conclude, I would say that you are on the right path: it is very likely you have the 147 tritype series and very likely to be type 7 as core type: so perhaps 741 or 714 as suggested.
I like everything you mentioned! I do still think I'm a 741 Tritype; I really relate to the description as well.

It's also interesting that you gave me an SX/SP instead of SP/SX like I had typed myself. Usually I score just a bit higher on SP, and sometimes it's more like a tie for SX and SP. SO usually scores quite low.

The biggest confusion I had was on whether I was a Type 4 or Type 7, and a little bit on SP vs. SX.

You seem very good at typing, Quang!

P.S. I also love your origami photo! It's really quite Amazing and beautiful! & thanks for my salutation, Ha Ha! "Loveable Otter Friend". :D

Reactions: Quang and Darkbloom

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I feel some of you are typing me as a Type 2, because I want to help children, but I don't think Type 2's have the market on helping others. Plus, I think why you want to help matters; I think it would be fun! :)

As a kid, the reason I related to Type 2, was because I liked helping others, but I don't think helping is what makes you a Type 2, because I have none of the Type 2 focuses (and I think that is more important.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 65 Posts