Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it's been a decade since the 2000's started and I was just curious if anyone is feeling nostalgic and wants to post some of their memories here?

I remember this one story when I was about 7-9 years old around 2001-2002, and I checked the mail to see what was inside and out of curiosity checked my neighbor's mail (who was a buddy of mine) to see what he got and it was an issue of "Boy's Life" and I was upset that I didn't get one (even though I didn't understand that I needed to SUBSCRIBE in order to get the magazine). As this happened, a street cleaner came by and I decided to chase his truck on my bike to "teach him a lesson", because I thought that the street cleaner chased the mailman away from giving me a "Boy's Life" magazine too. Soon after the truck stopped when I was behind him and the guy got out to scold at me for chasing the truck and I biked home crying. Very strange story, but I'm surprised how much I remember it in detail. It was interesting to say the least. I'll probably list more memories later, but I just wanted to tell that one. :tongue:

·
Registered
208 Posts
I remember the early 2000's kind of being a crossover from the late 90's and it still kind of had that vibe to me. I was 9 in 2000 and so I remember a lot. Boy's Life reminded me of Highlights magazine which I always got in the mail :)

I remember from the years 1997 to roughly 2003 was when the neighborhood kids (there were about 15 of us) would all play outside like hide and seek, Nerf guns, tag, baseball, ride our bikes in the nearby field, and build outside forts with old pieces of wood and scrap metal from the abandoned field. This was seriously the time of my life. We all got along and enjoyed each others company before everyone grew older and became more cliquey.

I guess if I had to pick a specific story it would have to be the New Years eve 1999 before the new millennium. I remember that being such a big deal for everyone and we all had a neighborhood party that night where the adults would be in one house and all of the children were in the house next door playing games and watching movies. It was SO FUN! Especially because back then staying up till midnight was a big deal for us kids :wink: I will never forget that night.

Also, around the same time I remember my babysitter who was about 16 at this time talking to her friends on the phone about Britney Spears and I remember her saying something along the lines of "She has such a baby voice and she is super girly" I have no idea why I remember that but I know that she was "watching" my brother and I and we were sitting in the neighbors driveway haha

·
Registered
532 Posts
Im 5 and 1/2 when 2000 hits. My real memories starts from there. My memories were watching harrypotter, pokemon, tom&jerry, making phone calls to someone else and not respond to make them annoy, playing hide&seek,i get wowed when i got my first camera model phone in 2003, playing gta sanandreas missions with friends in my home, thrill of getting my first internet conn in 2004, getting my first smartphone, listening to backstreet boys, lp, eminem,katty pery, lady gaga,etc these are my best of 2000s

·
Registered
720 Posts
I was 5 1/2 when 2000s was started to kick in . I remember singing karaoke with my cousin and just having a blast.

I remember listening to alot of Boy / Girls groups. Most likely Britanny Spears and Nsync. I actually had a crush on her and still kinda do =p. I also got into eurodance around this time.

I had a culdesac group and we always played games and talked alot about life. They also talked alot about pokemon and yu-gi-oh ( which I was not allowed to play ). We also loved extreme sports for some reason XD. I also remember razor scooters being a thing and showing off to my friend.

As a kid I hated the internet. Thought it was a waste of time and only a learning tool which would not give me any entertainment. When doing home schooled work on the computer I always snuck away and watched TV. Tiny Toons was my favorite show at the time on Nickelodeon. Infact , watched alot more television XD in 00-04

I remember watching 9/11 on the TV screen as a kid. I remember the planes going into the towers and feeling pretty torn by the situation . Alot of parents were telling me that no planes are flying in the area because of the situation. Also , alot of people in my family knew people who died in the towers so it stuck with them throughout their life.

From my birth to about 2001 I was a child model in NYC.I remember going through chinatown and eating at the restaurant to going in the crown of the statue of liberty. My most vivid memories was looking down at people in a glass bulding watching them go by. I am thinking it was low midtown/ chelsea area.

At around 2003 in august my mother passed away and it pretty much ended my childhood here on out. Everyone moved out and I felt pretty much alone in 2004. I can go into more detail but it would fill up a page ^_^;;

·
Registered
260 Posts
Am I free to post here? I was 5-8 from 2000-2003, and I'm already nostalgic about that period. I consider it to be the core of my childhood - I was happy at school, happy at home and just enjoying childhood. Things were were pretty good. It's ridiculous how long ago it seems, and pictures from that time period look dated to me. 2002 can't be 13 years ago, can it?

I remember seeing Harry Potter in late 2001, and we got the internet around this time. I also remember in January 2001 when me and my mother were walking home during a blizzard and I was crying, so she had to use her coat to shield me. We were shopping in a mall - when we arrived, it was just cloudy, no snow. A shock.

I remember seeing the music video to Christina Aguilera's 'Beautiful' and seeing the two guys kissing (2002).. that was strangely attractive to my 7-year-old mind. Oh, and then there was the song 'All the things she said' by Tatu, and they kissed. I loved that band.

Wish I could go back. Things became a bit crap around middle school.

·
Registered
30 Posts
remember everything fairly vividly, the importing of cheaper dubable cartoons, everything chill up until the bush-gore election (was in elementary school, remember tv debates and the whole florida ordeal), then the war not understanding any context (watched way too much news as a kid), my older sister used to blast the cd's from the backstreet boys.

·
Banned
302 Posts
Am I free to post here? I was 5-8 from 2000-2003, and I'm already nostalgic about that period. I consider it to be the core of my childhood - I was happy at school, happy at home and just enjoying childhood. Things were were pretty good. It's ridiculous how long ago it seems, and pictures from that time period look dated to me. 2002 can't be 13 years ago, can it?

I remember seeing Harry Potter in late 2001, and we got the internet around this time. I also remember in January 2001 when me and my mother were walking home during a blizzard and I was crying, so she had to use her coat to shield me. We were shopping in a mall - when we arrived, it was just cloudy, no snow. A shock.

I remember seeing the music video to Christina Aguilera's 'Beautiful' and seeing the two guys kissing (2002).. that was strangely attractive to my 7-year-old mind. Oh, and then there was the song 'All the things she said' by Tatu, and they kissed. I loved that band.

Wish I could go back. Things became a bit crap around middle school.
2002 does not really feel very dated at all; it's shocking to see it be 13 years ago. I thought that the last really big cultural change happened in around 1997.

·
Banned
3,980 Posts
I remember in 2003 watching the Shock and Awe attack of Iraq with my dad on TV. He was pretty damn excited too, he really hated Saddam Hussein and loved Bush, and he thought it was a huge mistake not to take out Saddam during the 1991 Gulf War. So he had been waiting for it for 12 years.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
While technically a member of Gen Z (though I have more in common with Gen Y) I cannot resist answering this question. Personally I loved the early 2000's and I felt it was that last time in history when the United States was at its best. Granted you had your dark moments like; 9/11, Enron Scandal, Beltway Attacks and of course the invasion of Iraq and all of these events I still remember despite being a kid at the time. However after 9/11 we became more patriotic (which could be bad or good depending on how prideful you could be) and we were ready to fight back and claim vengeance on the lives that were lost that day. I also remember my personal life was fairly simple. Went to school and played with my friends at Recess. Had alot of fun playing sports and such. My friends were huge fans of the pokemon card game and the video games on Game Boy Color/Advance back in the day. However around 2003 the new fad became Yu-Gi-Oh (I guess because pokemon was losing interest with most people my age around that time). Whenever I came home from school I would do my homework and then watch Arthur on PBS after that I would tune into either Kids WB to catch Pokemon or Yu-Gi-Oh or I would watch toonami to catch an episode of Dragon Ball Z. Then I would probably watch Nickelodeon or something and watch many 90's and early 2000's classics like Hey Arnold, Rugrats, Angry Beavers, Wild Thornberries, Rocket Power, Spongebob(pre 2005), Fairly Odd Parents( when it was good) and Jimmy Neutron just to name a few. If I wasn't watching TV or playing my PS1(my first gaming console) I was outside with my childhood friends next door and we would just do all kinds of crazy things lol. I would also go to the park occasionally and go on the swings (I was obsessed) or just ride my bike around the path by the park. As I look back it just seemed like everything was less chaotic though that is probably because I've gotten older. However I have noticed that the concept of technology has changed dramatically in the last 15 years. If you wanted to "surf the net" you had to wait like 5 min or so for the Web page to come up through dial up (painful memories). That's most likely the reason why I didn't use the Internet that much until I got older because it was hassle trying to just browse through the Internet. Dang even the way we watched movies has changed as back then we would still use the VCR and you would have to rewind the VHS tapes for like eternity. Now as a college student if I wanted to watch a movie I could simply just stream it on my smartphone. I'm not trying to sound like old man or anything but I do feel that the early 2000's are already pretty dated compared to the mid 2010's.

·
Registered
260 Posts
2002 does not really feel very dated at all; it's shocking to see it be 13 years ago. I thought that the last really big cultural change happened in around 1997.
Culturally perhaps not, but when I see images from then things look a lot different to my eyes - the quality of the images isn't as good for a start, and the cars on the roads look a lot older.

Like I was looking through some old(ish) images from the city I live in and came across a few from 2002, and thought it looked really quite old - certainly the cars were a dead giveaway that it was quite a while ago, but it seemed to be taken using a film camera rather than digital, and they were still very common in the early 2000s. I haven't seen a film camera for years.

Culturally, I've noticed a few differences - trance/house/dance songs were still popping up in the UK top 40 even in 2005, but not anymore - haven't heard a decent trance song for a while. This seems to be more popular in Europe than the US though, so it might be more regional than anything.

But in any case, 2002 is a pretty long time ago now. It doesn't even seem long ago in my mind, but it is.

·
Registered
7,058 Posts
To me the early 2000's were equal parts rough/meh. I was a junior in high school when 9/11 happened. I was in full paranoia mode when Bush Jr. got reelected (considered moving to Canada even though I had no means to do so). Boy bands/Britney Spears types dominated the pop scene, with Eminem as their counterpoint. I hid from growing up by going to community college (I'm sure people with a purpose get a lot out of community college. I did not; so it felt like high school on new game+ mode). For entertainment, even though it started in 1998, I feel like I should mention Celebrity Deathmatch here. I wasn't following technology too much (I was perpetually a generation behind until I met my wife's parents, who are early-adapters).

·
Banned
302 Posts
To me the early 2000's were equal parts rough/meh. I was a junior in high school when 9/11 happened. I was in full paranoia mode when Bush Jr. got reelected (considered moving to Canada even though I had no means to do so). Boy bands/Britney Spears types dominated the pop scene, with Eminem as their counterpoint. I hid from growing up by going to community college (I'm sure people with a purpose get a lot out of community college. I did not; so it felt like high school on new game+ mode). For entertainment, even though it started in 1998, I feel like I should mention Celebrity Deathmatch here. I wasn't following technology too much (I was perpetually a generation behind until I met my wife's parents, who are early-adapters).
Culturally, the late 90s were not very different from the early 00s. I thought 1998 was the last year to still have a tiny speckle of mid 90s influence, but it definitely felt more like the early 00s than 1995 in terms of pop culture.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
The only years of the early 2000s that I actually remembered was 2002 and 2003. I was only a toddler back then. I remember watching PBS Kids, Playhouse Disney and Baby Einstein. I could also remember my dad taking me to a playground. It was fun.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Y2k, we are all gonna die

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I was born around early 1996, and throughout the early 2000's I can come up with several things I enjoyed. I remember back in 2000 throughout that year in my house when our parents still had the old small CRT-TV in the corner of the living room with the old sofa, and I used to go to my Grandma's house on my dad's side when they still had the old dark brown furniture. All of this was replaced in Spring 2001 when my parents got a new big huge TV, new furniture and sofa, and my grandparents on my dad's side got new modernized kitchen furniture as well. When I think of Summer 2000, "Who Let the Dogs Out" comes to my mind in a nutshell, I remember dancing on the floor to that music when my dad played it from his radio or the Windows 98 computer. The best memories of my early 2000's childhood comes from 2001-2003, which I will explain here. I used to buy Planet Hot Wheels cars, merchandise, CD-ROM's, and I would get on the website, buy new gadgets and upgrades for my cars and play with folks around the world. I was a BIG Legos guy, I would watch those Lego commercials on TV and ask my parents for some more, I remember when I was like 6 and I knew how to build those things on my own, it was easy and Lego Star Wars ships were pretty epic as well. 2001-2003 were my earliest memories of going to movies throughout my childhood, Shrek, Spy Kids 1-3, Spiderman, Lilo & Stitch, Ice Age, Finding Nemo, Powerpuff Girls movie, Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas, Harry Potter, Monster's Inc, etc. 2001 was the first year I started watching Cartoon Network regularly and that channel was so epic with the classic checkerboard logo and watching Cartoon Cartoons, classics, and action shows every Friday & weekends. I would record tons of footage on VHS tapes. Toon Disney, Nickelodeon, and Kids WB were just as epic at the time as well, and 2001-2003 were my favorite years for each of these channels. I also liked watching Food Network with my mom when they had classic shows like Emeril Live, Good Eats, $40 Dollars A Day, Iron Chef (original Japan), Molto Mario, etc. Every Friday we would go onto my Grandma's house on my mom's side and we would hang out with my cousins every weekend, we would do tons of stuff together, whether we'd go out to the mall, movies, or stay in the house and play freeze tag with each other, but we can't do that now because we have more responsibilities. I also remember going to my aunt's wedding in Summer 2002, and after that wedding we went on the limousine and traveled to the wedding reception, and I was dancing on the music floor to the Cha-Cha slide, that was fun.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Its true. But i feel 1997-2000
a bit different from 2001-2003.
1997-mid 2001 was still mostly 90's culture with 2000's culture phasing in

late 2001-2003 was mostly 2000's culture with little 90's culture left

by 2004ish or so 90's culture was totally dead like a rock and 2000's culture was phased in 100%

I'd break up the culture like this, whether its world culture, political culture, pop culture, music, TV, fashion, or whatever.

late 1997-1998
90's: 90%
00's: 10%

1999-mid 2000
90's: 75%
00's: 25%

late 2000-mid 2001
90's: 60%
00's: 40%

late 2001-mid 2002
90's: 40%
00's: 60%

late 2002-mid 2003
90's: 25%
00's: 75%

late 2003-mid 2004
90's: 10%
00's: 90%

and by late 2004, 00's culture was in full effect

·
Registered
375 Posts
Culturally, the late 90s were not very different from the early 00s. I thought 1998 was the last year to still have a tiny speckle of mid 90s influence, but it definitely felt more like the early 00s than 1995 in terms of pop culture.
1998 - 2003 all felt the same to me. Since the change between these years were gradual it wasn't completely noticeable. Like how 2008 - 2013 felt very similar as well. Looking back at it now it may be noticeable, but when you're actually living through those years you wouldn't all of a sudden say "HEY! What the heck just happened? Why is everything all different?". Between the late 00's and early 10's everything felt the similar if not the same. Now in 2015 we can easily see how things have changed since 2008 which is when I'd say we had another cultural change.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts