Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is every other INTP as absent minded as me, but can remember some useless tidbit of information they digested 10 years ago?

My wife and I took my daughter out to dinner for her 18th birthday last night. We went to a local sports pub. The pub was conducting a trivia contest and naturally we blew everyone away. We were there with two of my daughter’s friends. One of the trivia questions was "What animal's horn is composed of hair and keratin?" Naturally I immediately looked to my daughter and spewed out "rhino" (Actually I spewed out rhinoceros but tripped over my tongue). My daughter's friend looked at me like I'd grown a second head and said "How the heck did you know that?" I’m betting every INTP reading this also knew the answer to that question.

On the other side of the coin I've had the same cell phone number for about 6 years and on many occasions still can't remember it. My memory is a very fickle thing.

Reactions: TheVinn

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I can't remember what a person said to me five minutes ago or the PIN to my ATM card is. Yet, college was a long while back, but I still remember my student card number... 95503976... It makes no sense to me how my brain works.

·
Registered
672 Posts
My brain is like my desk.

Nuff said.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I find it so easy to remember useless information. Remembering combinations of numbers is usually difficult for me or remembering what I was going to say or do... but I can remember all kinds of crap that I don't need to be remembering. lol I knew it was Rhinoceros too... but my first guess would have been unicorn. haha

·
Registered
429 Posts
lol I knew it was Rhinoceros too... but my first guess would have been unicorn. haha
....is it bad that unicorn was the first thing that popped into my head? >///>

LMAO XD

I have the worst memory ever. I have to write things on my arm so I won't forget them - and then I'll forget I wrote stuff there to remember. If I'm texting someone, I'll forget what I just sent them, or even what I'm supposed to be replying to. Yet I remember pi to 183 places, and the name of a species of army ant that I watched on a documentary years ago. (Echiton burcelli. Travel in colonies from 200,000-700,000. Can explain their migratory patterns and what they feast on. When the hell will I ever need this?!) Not only that, but I remembered some guy I learned in US History last year and helped my aunt get the high score on a trivia game.

Maybe that's all we're good for. Winning trivia games. LOL.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I'm one of those people that walk into a room and forget why I went in. when I didn't have a cellphone, though, I was very good at memorizing peoples' numbers.

·
Registered
153 Posts
My mom will ask me to do something, and I'll totally forget about it on my way to do it, but I can reference entire parts of conversations (both sides) i had with people months ago

Reactions: AkiKaza and Fiddler

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I forget where I'm going and why I'm going there. If I lay something down and turn head I don't know where I laid it. If I'm getting ready to leave and see something such as a cell phone and I tell myself don't forget your cell ph but don't pick it up then and there more than not I'll leave it. Dates, appointments and birthdays I forget unless I set the computor to remind me. If I get to work and need gas before I go home I tie something on the steering wheel or I'll run out of gas. There are some odd things however that I will retain forever but I don't know why or how to remember things that are important. I also forget how to spell even simple words, very fustrating.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I am totally absent-minded. I also don't retain specific details very well, like those observed on a trip or something. But I remember myself in a casual argument with my sister and alluding to Disney's Cinderella... She commented that I have an unusually unpractical memory. I would love to instead remember the stuff I should remember so that my life becomes easier to live, but I like how I construct novel things from tidbits of information that alone do not make sense, but together make something creative.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I forget where I'm going and why I'm going there. If I lay something down and turn head I don't know where I laid it. If I'm getting ready to leave and see something such as a cell phone and I tell myself don't forget your cell ph but don't pick it up then and there more than not I'll leave it. Dates, appointments and birthdays I forget unless I set the computor to remind me. If I get to work and need gas before I go home I tie something on the steering wheel or I'll run out of gas. There are some odd things however that I will retain forever but I don't know why or how to remember things that are important. I also forget how to spell even simple words, very fustrating.
I can't tell you how many times I've done that. I have a gas station just a couple blocks from work, which is very convenient to get in and out of. More often than not I'll forget and pass it only to remember a couple blocks down the street. Due to traffic, turning around and going back is out of the question and the next station is a real PITA to get too. I am often my own worst enemy.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I've misplaced my iPod in a 120 square foot dorm room after putting it somewhere that "I was sure to remember where it is", but I got to "horn" in the question and thought Rhinoceros.
As stated in a previous thread I remember everything I'll never need to remember ever again. I forget everything that I'm expected to need later in life.

·
Registered
153 Posts
there have been times i reached out my hands and forgot why i was reaching out before i can grab it.
Theres a distinct feeling i have when im standing somewhere and i realize i was just doing something and i have no idea what
happens when i go to the bathroom a lot lol
ill just stand there and think
ive washed my hands for 5 minutes before because i zoned out =P

1 - 13 of 13 Posts