Personality Cafe banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made a thread about PMS a long time ago so that one is already covered. I was wondering why some men seem to have mood swings like women with PMS. So I did a little research and found the below. Men do you ever have this problem? I know nothing about the subject myself so I would love to hear from you.

Male PMS: Irritable Male Syndrome

When most people think of PMS they think of women. However, researchers recently discovered that many men suffer from a condition similar to PMS called irritable male syndrome (IMS). Men with IMS often experience mood swings, stomach cramps and even hot flashes. These symptoms and others are caused by a drop in the male hormone testosterone.

IMS can manifest at any time because, unlike women who experience monthly hormone cycles, men experience a daily hormone cycle. Males' levels of testosterone are highest after waking and fall throughout the day.

Irritable Male Syndrome Symptoms
A variety of symptoms are linked to irritable male syndrome. A man experiencing IMS may experience the following symptoms:

anger
anxiety
hypersensitivity
irritability.
Changes in the male hormone cycle can also cause males to experience the following:

a lack of arousal
backaches
headaches
hot flashes
sexual dysfunction
stomach cramps.
The male version of PMS can cause men to feel antisocial and depressed and can leave them unable to concentrate.

Irritable Male Syndrome Causes
Men experience a natural drop in testosterone every day. However, there are certain outside factors that can cause testosterone levels to fall:

certain medications
diet (Eating too few or too many calories can impact testosterone levels, as can eating an unbalanced diet.)
excessive alcohol consumption
illness
lack of sleep
stress
surgery.
Irritable Male Syndrome Studies
There have been a number of studies focusing on male PMS. Many of these studies have been conducted on animals. One such study was conducted on Soay sheep.

In the study, scientists noted that the testosterone levels in the sheep were highest in the autumn months, during which time the male sheep experienced an increase in mating activity. In the winter months, hormone leaves dropped dramatically and the sheep become nervous and anxious around females. The decrease in testosterone also caused the males to lash out at one another.

Coping with Irritable Male Syndrome
If you think you might be experiencing irritable male syndrome, schedule an appointment with your doctor. He will be able to determine if your symptoms are caused by a natural drop in testosterone or from a more serious medical condition.

If your doctor determines that your symptoms are indeed caused by normal changes in testosterone he will likely give you advice on coping with IMS symptoms. Sometimes IMS symptoms can be alleviated with topical creams, such as male progesterone cream or AndroGel®.

Your doctor might also suggest you take the following to help control your IMS symptoms:

calcium
magnesium
saw palmetto.
Avoiding Irritable Male Syndrome
In order to help balance hormone levels and avoid irritable male syndrome, men should try to eat a well-balanced diet. Men should try to breakdown their diet in the following manner to help balance their hormone cycle:

10 percent saturated fat
25 percent fat
35 percent low glycemic carbohydrates (carbohydrates that are digested slowly and that do not cause insulin levels to spike)
40 percent protein.
With this diet plan and approximately 30 to 40 minutes of exercise each day and six to eight hours of sleep each night, most men can reduce the symptoms of IMS and stabilize their hormones.

·
Registered
26,827 Posts
I personally don't think I've ever experienced IMS, as I can't produce my own testosterone (I can, but much less than most males) and need to take testosterone daily, so unless my body still makes the level fluctuate I don't think it's possible.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Thanks for this info Blue butterfly, I had never heard of it be for although it does sound quite reasonable. I was wondering If you happened to know how common this was? And how you heard about it in the first place?

·
Retard
16,329 Posts
"Honest"

Yes.. But I am started to feel that physicians try compartmentalize things that everything has a logical excuse. Yes I am in bad mood but it's because bills are mounting or increasing, the employment has become cheaper more expecting, relationships are hard to maintain, but I don't call it IMS it is called life.
Nice to see some brutal Honesty....Groovy.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Yes.. But I am started to feel that physicians try compartmentalize things that everything has a logical excuse. Yes I am in bad mood but it's because bills are mounting or increasing, the employment has become cheaper more expecting, relationships are hard to maintain, but I don't call it IMS it is called life.
I second this. I would even attribute logical excuses to ADHD being prevalent in every other American child.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for this info Blue butterfly, I had never heard of it be for although it does sound quite reasonable. I was wondering If you happened to know how common this was? And how you heard about it in the first place?
To be honest I don't know much about the subject at all. I just know that men seem to go through something similar to a woman’s PMS. I suspected it had to be something hormonal like it is with women. If it is anything like a woman’s PMS I feel for you guys. I would suspect that it would affect some more than others just like woman’s PMS. Any data would most likely not show the full extent of the problem. I would suspect that some men would not want to admit they go through these times.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I did a quick search too see if there was any evidence or statistics and I was able to find this which was the only site that actually mentioned some form of research into it. Although a lot of other sites do mention IMS in relation to numerous things.

Irritable Male Syndrome

·
Registered
366 Posts
I am usually more pissy in the middle of the month, from the 15th to the 20th. And I do notice, because one of those days I start thinking depressing thoughts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.