Personality Cafe banner

Do women usually value social acceptance more than men?

• Yes, women usually value it more

Votes: 17 63.0%
  • No, men usually value it more

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • No, both sexes value it about the same amount

Votes: 8 29.6%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a question I'm curious about and have been for a few months:

Do women usually value the following things more than men?

-social acceptance and being well-liked by others
-fitting in with current trends, not simply clothing trends but trends in general
-holding popular, mainstream ideas that most people will agree with

Whichever answer you choose, please provide reasons for why you believe what do do.

·
Banned
605 Posts
All of those things are personality-dependent. Gender just happens to bias one group of personalities over another.

Males being more T than F, for example.

·
Banned
16,978 Posts
I think it's possible that women value those things more than men generally, just because in our culture (and in most cultures/societies) women are not encouraged to be independent to the same degree that men are.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Women, only because of the media they are in constant reminder of. It's like staring at a mirror of a better version of themselves all the time. After awhile, it will take its toll. It's certainly a tragedy.

Reactions: trustus

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
While first instinct for most people is to say women, really both sexes care about being socially accepted, it just seems like women care because of media portrayal. I also think it's because women rely more on material objects (makeup, clothes, accessories and the like) to secure that acceptance, while men in general rely more on traits independent of material objects to gain such acceptance such as, being a leader, taking charge and such and such.

Because of this reliance of material objects to gain social acceptance, consumer culture and in turn advertising tend to target women more, and hence portray women as being more social conscious, when at the end of the day, we all just want to be loved.

·
Registered
62 Posts
In a way I think both sexes care. I think women are a bit more obvious about it because they tend communicate in ways that create and shape relationships, men tend to communicate in ways that establish dominance and placement within the tribe. At least this is what I'm learning in communications classes. who knows nothing queerer than folk

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
If I had to generalize, I would say men.

I believe there are more women who see little benefit to be valued and accepted some societies. Especially if those societies are archaic. In action, I have seen more women push stereo type and challenge traditional roles, regardless of what society thought of them.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Neither, I think everyone wants to feel accepted.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Women, only because of the media they are in constant reminder of. It's like staring at a mirror of a better version of themselves all the time. After awhile, it will take its toll. It's certainly a tragedy.
Basically this.

And I'm not saying that men don't care.. but I think in general, women have more pressure to be, look, and/or act a certain way.

Even now in some movies.. The more nerdy looking, social outcast-type or overweight, male, main character will 'get' the thin, attractive girl. I think that's just telling society that it's okay for a guy to be whoever they are, women.. not so much.

I dunno.. for example, I was a size 4 over the summer, basically almost a size 5 and I felt very unattractive and fat. I felt so much pressure to lose weight so I could be 'beautiful' again that I did so unhealthily, and as fast as possible. There are people with much more serious weight problems but I felt and still feel like I had one.. when realistically being a size 5 shouldn't be a crime.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts