Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Banned
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why or why not?

I've had some experiences/problems with this. In the past it's become a point of contention; for some reason while men can debate or banter with men (I used to have a lot of male friends in the past so I've seen this in action) but it's different if you're saying it to a girl. Sometimes yes, sometimes no, a lot of it depends on how the other person sees you. Anyhow, my attempts to debate or banter are often seen as aggressive, when in fact I'm simply entertaining myself and desperately hoping that they can respond in some way.

I also was interested once in a guy who had some control issues. It was less a problem that he was trying to control situations than that he knew that I knew what he was doing.

Just some things I've noticed. I'd love to hear your thoughts. No flames please, let's keep this a serious discussion. If you don't like what I'm saying, I'm sorry, but please don't post on this thread.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
I don't have issues with admitting I'm not an Einstein and that I don't know everything. Largely because it's true.

So when it comes to dating an intelligent woman, I'm all for it. I never want to stop learning and what better way to be with someone who shares that interest? (I'm assuming she would share that interest because she's intelligent.)

To sum it up, we all have strengths and weaknesses and I know what mine are. So if you're smarter than I am, bonus.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Absoluteley no issue with a girl that's smarter me. That's mean I can learn a grow with them. I love debate. However, lately my choices have been very opposite of me. Intelligence doesn't play into my dating choices. Values, similiar likes, and a base-line of attractiveness matter.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I don't really believe anyone is "smarter" than others, everyone is smart in their own way. I am well read, intelligent with grammar, spelling, I can read pretty complicated music (scores), I have some pretty good critical thinking. I am not smart at planning, complicated math (pre cal/trig and above), keeping up on little things, thinking long term, etc.

Everyone is smart at something different, for example, I would say Slash is as intelligent as Stephen Hawking. Slash is very intelligent emotionally, while Stephen is specialized in Physics. Now I suppose that may be a bad example as Stephen may actually be smarter since (no offense) he doesn't have a lot he can do but sit around and think. But I think you guys get the picture.

In conclusion, I don't think I could find anyone smarter than me, or dumber, so the question is a little irrelevant (imo)

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
Exactly how would one go about determining whether or not a prospective date was more/less intelligent than oneself?

I've never subjected any potential date to this type of scrutiny.

However, I did marry a woman that made better grades and tests higher than I do in most areas that we've observed.

So I guess it wouldn't bug me.

:confused:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Date her? I married her! Love. Control. Where there is one, the other can't live.

·
Banned
255 Posts
If I thought a woman was more intelligent than I was in areas of life that mattered a lot to me or in areas that I invested self-worth in, I would be extremely insecure with her in relationship context. I could befriend her in a purely platonic way, but dating would be a no-no.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
I would definitely date a girl who is smarter than me. The only problem is they are to smart to go out with me. I don't really judge people by who is smarter or who is not, I do like a women who enjoys to learn and likes to share.

·
Banned
3,417 Posts
Really isn't something I even consider.

In my relationship now I'm the less intelligent one, sometimes I feel stupid around her but I generally feel that way around most people because I fail to see the obvious often and get confused easily.

But I fucking love when she corrects me or reasons with me. Definitely not a problem.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
From the opposite end of the spectrum-- to be completely honest, I've gone insane every time I've tried to date a guy who wasn't as intelligent as I was. So even if you're willing, sorry, guys, I know I personally can't do it. :(

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
From the opposite end of the spectrum-- to be completely honest, I've gone insane every time I've tried to date a guy who wasn't as intelligent as I was. So even if you're willing, sorry, guys, I know I personally can't do it. :(
What was the problem if you don't mind me asking, although I'm sure I can figure it out XD

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Sure would.

A challenge is always good.

·
Banned
1,238 Posts
Yes because even though I'm pretty smart as it is it alway nice to have someone around that can out Witt you and have excellent conversations debates and ideas with

Reactions: Promethea
1 - 20 of 56 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.