Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm an INTP and I curious if there's any mental disorders that seem to be more common. I have Depersonalization/Derealization disorder and Social anxiety. I'm wondering if there's any common denominators between other INTP's and Mental illnesses.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I haven't been officially diagnosed with ADHD (inattentive) but I always suspect that I had it. I have the attention span of a cat lol. But no, I'm not hyperactive.

Would avoidance of social interaction be classified as a mental disorder? I actively avoid 99.9% of people, taking detours, arrive earlier or later etc, although there are people I genuinely enjoy being around. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Metalize

·
Registered
41 Posts
Aspergers syndrome and DID. Both of which I have, but not to say that all INTP have them. I often think from an impersonal third person view, and it feels like they aren't my thoughts but instead the thoughts of some entity unbiased by human nature and emotions dictating myself.

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
I have Autism, ADD, borderline sociopathy, and occasional insomnia. I'm also extremely mentally depressed, mostly because I had a traumatic childhood because everybody picked on me because of my severe autism. Schizophrenia is also common among types that use a lot of Ti and Si.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I think some types are possibly more prone to certain mental disorders, or the behaviour traits of a type could be the same behavioural symptoms of a personality disorder. If you're a rarer type I guess it would be harder fitting into society and therefore you might withdraw socially which could then lead to developing a disorder. I agree disorders can occur in any type but I also believe some types are more likely than others.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have Autism, ADD, borderline sociopathy, and occasional insomnia. I'm also extremely mentally depressed, mostly because I had a traumatic childhood because everybody picked on me because of my severe autism. Schizophrenia is also common among types that use a lot of Ti and Si.
I doubt the validity of your borderline sociopathy. Was it self diagnosed? Because many INTP will mistake their cold honesty and insensitivity towards others emotions as sociopathy. I don't think that INTP have a lack of empathy, I think it's just that logic and empathy often don't coincide very well. But discard logic and we can be just as empathetic as any other type. Not to say that you don't have it, but this is just the usual paradigm.

·
Registered
31,261 Posts
Mental disorders are pretty much universal among types... Soo... A mental disorder isn't really an indicator of type at all, really.
Do you have studies to support this claim? It also has nothing to with indication. The question was "what mental disorders would seem to be common with this type?" Bam you just got destroyed!

·
Registered
596 Posts
Probably slight depression, probably not.
Undecissiveness
Terrible speller
Lazy
I'm asocial - one of my sexist impediments
Obsess over the abstract

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
I doubt the validity of your borderline sociopathy. Was it self diagnosed? Because many INTP will mistake their cold honesty and insensitivity towards others emotions as sociopathy. I don't think that INTP have a lack of empathy, I think it's just that logic and empathy often don't coincide very well. But discard logic and we can be just as empathetic as any other type. Not to say that you don't have it, but this is just the usual paradigm.
There was an episode of Brain Games where they asked 6 questions, and the more you answered yes to, the more sociopathic you supposedly are, and I answered yes to 4 of them. Personally, I'd rather be viewed as a badass dangerous sociopath than a retard.

·
Registered
41 Posts
There was an episode of Brain Games where they asked 6 questions, and the more you answered yes to, the more sociopathic you supposedly are, and I answered yes to 4 of them. Personally, I'd rather be viewed as a badass dangerous sociopath than a retard.
An episode of brain games? Well it depends on the questions used and if your insensitivity had underlying logic to it. Give me one of the questions. Were the "yes" answers driven by feeling variations of pleasure in the scenarios presented or was it more so just and apathy and a disdain towards how logically sound it was? The latter is not sociopathy.

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
An episode of brain games? Well it depends on the questions used and if your insensitivity had underlying logic to it. Give me one of the questions. Were the "yes" answers driven by feeling variations of pleasure in the scenarios presented or was it more so just and apathy and a disdain towards how logically sound it was? The latter is not sociopathy.
I don't remember what the questions were. I think some of them had to do with using other people to get your way.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Depession, ADD, Autism/Asperger Syndrome, Narcissim, Schizoid & Schizotypical Personality Disorders

1 - 20 of 53 Posts