Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a kid, I began developing mental habits that helped me escape from my surroundings. These "games" became habits I still do today. a couple of them is to envision I am a walking out of the room I am currently in, then continue walking until I can no longer keep the image. Another game I would play is to imagine an engine, then visualize it floating in front of me and taking it apart piece by piece and examine each piece in as much detail as my mind could muster.

Do you guys have similar "games" or mental habits that help you through the mundane times?

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I have done this sort thing before. I'll often try to anticipate future events/conversations in my head, and I'll do weird (a relative term, not trying to hate, I do it too) stuff like that too. I'll post later when I have a chance to flesh out my thoughts and mental games into words

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'll often try to anticipate future events/conversations in my head, and I'll do weird (a relative term, not trying to hate, I do it too) stuff like that too.
I do it too and so does my INTP father. Just the other day my ISFP brother told me how he caught our father doing it out loud while he was taking a shower. He thought it was really weird, and I had to explain to him that it was a very normal thing to do for our types. I think this is a very INTJ/INTP thing. Other types must think we are totally crazy for doing it.

·
Registered
INFP 5w6
1,320 Posts
Not INTJ, but had similar to your 'walking out of rooms' game. I would look at an area (sometimes obscured) and imagine what it felt to be there, like how the sun would feel on the skin and the direction the wind pulled. Things got weird when i imagined myself in crampt spaces, i avoided that one. Yeah.. this is one game i have not been able to shake off, i probably should if i am to keep a place in the real world as a responsible adooolt.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I have a vivid imagination and play a lot of mental games, especially when I am doing chores. When I am doing dishes, I will personify them and create pretend fights between them. I personify pretty much everything. I also have an endless amount of fake scenarios going on in my head. For instance, when I am walking to my car in the morning, I imagine a knife-laden psycho path is waiting for me in the bushes, then I create an escape plan, then I imagine my plan is foiled and I have to make a new one.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I have a vivid imagination and play a lot of mental games, especially when I am doing chores. When I am doing dishes, I will personify them and create pretend fights between them. I personify pretty much everything. I also have an endless amount of fake scenarios going on in my head. For instance, when I am walking to my car in the morning, I imagine a knife-laden psycho path is waiting for me in the bushes, then I create an escape plan, then I imagine my plan is foiled and I have to make a new one.
Huh. Seems like something I would do :)

·
Registered
330 Posts
I have a habit of imagining myself in scenarios and what would i do in them. For example

1. I would imagine how i would eliminate annoying people, how would i dispose of the body, where i would dispose it and how would i end their lives.

2. Imagining if a school shooter suddenly starting gunning people down and what path i would take to avoid being shot.

3. Reproduce fight scenes i seen and how i would counteract them

Wow i just realize that a lot of my daydreams are really violent, puts a lot of credit "Beware the Quiet Ones" and "Beware the Nice Ones" tropes

·
Registered
ENTJ; 8w7; Persian C
9,468 Posts
Cool, doll. ::

Here are a few I do (&) still do. They seem more like mini-experiment(s), however. If I am not staring off into space / zoning out or deep within thought-reflection.

(A) -- Searching for + identifying pattern(s) (&) then specifying anything that correspond(s) with that pattern (&) how likely something is to happen again ... or ''spot that thing,'' (&) something like it.

For example; there are specific desk(s) designed for right handers (&) left-handers, something I never noticed before. I begin counting all the desk(s) for the ''left-handed,'' then started calculating ratios (&) probilities of how many ''left-handers,'' would utilize these desks; I think utilize it to determine who is left-handed (&) who is right. o__O

(B) -- Making ''bets'' with myself (&) another 'self' -- I bet (X) will occur, I bet he/she will do that. Some of these can be risky; I have done this while driving, as well.

For instance, while driving I'll usually switch lanes without using a signal (&) ''hope,'' there is no car behind me -- toying around with in (Ni), or I'll play with other drivers such as speeding up (&) then slowing down (&) make a bet on their reaction.

Another, I'll watch car(s) ahead of myself and make a 'bet' if they will speed-up, slow down, switch lanes, stop, etc - when faced with the 'yellow light', as it is fast-thinking.

Or I will observe individual(s) just sitting around minding their business (&) make bets on ''what they will do next,'' ....

(C) -- Making object(s) do things - making thing(s) disappear - or dream-up strange scenario(s) happening within my head; usually thing(s) I enjoy (&) this lightens my mood - so vivid, I almost believe it has or occurring as I imagine it. o__O These are alway(s) rather fun to indulge within. Or, they could be strange (&) not particularly happy thing(s).

Such as imagining someone(s) throat being split open (&) a flying pig emerging from the wound -- (they can be rather eccentric (&) random); which is possibly why I abuse my search engine(s) so much, or everyone being swamped with a pack of bee(s).

Or imagining the reaction(s) of others to a possible occurring event.

I usually imagine most in localities that are boring (&) uncreative - to which I desire to disturb the atmosphere mentally.

(D) -- Pretending I am teaching or arguing two opposing points at once, with someone; (e.g., explaining the process in which I do something - or composing an argument (&) debating both sides) -- usually while cleaning. I'll explain the whole process - I heavily talk to myself. I may be schizophrenic [jokez].

For example; I'll imagine around (3) individual(s) standing there watching me clean + taking notes; or I sometines visualize I am teaching a small class of student(s) - as I do things; as I feel like I just need to share information (&) there are no real specimen(s) to share it with. When I was younger - it was an entire show or with an audience -- I was caught (&) was rather embarrassed, indeed -- I can also do this at random - it happen(s) frequently while sitting on the toilet or within the shower; in private localities. o__O

[HR][/HR]

These thing(s) always end up with me googling something stupid, as well. I am ALWAYS googling something stupid just for information retaining -- as it just pop(s) in my head at random.

''Why are stop sign(s) red (&) not green .. (?)'' For example. Just today, I was Wikipedia'ing the sign(s) and symptom(s) (&) psychoanalysis of Snowflake syndrome (&) what causes these darlings to behave in such a mannerism.

These thing(s) just pop up to which I go WHY IS THAT .. (?) And I will google it, does not matter what I am doing or where.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not INTJ, but had similar to your 'walking out of rooms' game. I would look at an area (sometimes obscured) and imagine what it felt to be there, like how the sun would feel on the skin and the direction the wind pulled. Things got weird when i imagined myself in crampt spaces, i avoided that one. Yeah.. this is one game i have not been able to shake off, i probably should if i am to keep a place in the real world as a responsible adooolt.
I think this is something that is outside of my scope a bit. I am not able to remotely engage my emotions form imagination. I cannot understand if someone asks "how would it feel if..." That must be pretty nice being able to experience that. For me, I enjoy the analytical side of imagination. I like imagining fine details and mechanical contraptions.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is awesome!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
WOW, yup, I relate with more than 90% of what you said (aside from the traffic part). I have at least a couple psychoanalytical projects going on at a time. Sometimes whole relationships are based off a single experiment I am conducting. Information manipulation is a very common one for me. I try to stay away from random googling. It is the reason I got into TOR, 4chan, and then further down the rabbit trail than I prefer admitting...white rabbit...

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I remember when I was little (1st, 2nd grade), I would play around in my head with eliminating people by who I cared about, or how eliminated they would be (1/2, 3/4, etc.). I also always look around and analyze a room when I walk into it for the first time ever, reading posters on the walls in classrooms for example. I play out fights in my head as well. That's all I can really conceptualize right now

·
Registered
10 Posts
I try to imagine how objects look like from different perspectives or in reverse colours or I imagine them floating around. Sometimes I look at an object or a name and try to figure out how it was made. why the designer chose that specific object to be round, what are those little lines. Sometimes when I see mechanical things I try to rebuild the mechanism in my mind without examining it. When there are other peoples in the room I imagine myself in their heads seeing things from their view and try to read them.
But most of the time I'm analyzing and organizing things in my mind.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I do this a lot. Here are just a few:

-Debate people in my head. I'll create the persona of someone I know, and debate them essentially. So if it's on the topic of religion, I'd imagine that me and my extremely religious mother are sitting at a round table, then I'd argue both my position and hers. It's an interesting way to pass the time and you can better understand differing points of view.

-Plan how to take over the world. I do this usually if I've recently seen or heard something that makes me lose faith in humanity. I then think: "How much better would it be if I was in charge? Hmmm..." Then I go off and start imagining all sorts of scenarios about world domination.

-Think about what I would do during a [insert disaster here]. This one is really fun. How would I react during a hurricane, a flood, an earthquake, a nuclear bomb going off, a war, a zombie apocalypse etc. Zombie apocalypses are the really cool ones though, I think about how I'd have to find a group and party up, what kind of people would be in it, what weapons I would try to find, what weapons would be best for killing zombies and a whole bunch of other stuff.

-How to kill everyone in the room and get away. If I'm in a loud environment and I am not engaging with anybody, I'll think about how I'd kill everyone there, leaving no witnesses and get out. How close am I to the exit? How many can I kill before everyone figures out what's going on and starts screaming? Any weapons around? Or will I have to use my bare hands? These thoughts all go racing through my mind.

-What I would do in a fight. I imagine myself getting mugged and think about how I'd get out of it, or I imagine myself in any generic fight with someone else.

-Fantasy scenarios. This one I did a lot as a kid. If I was in [insert fictional universe] what would I do? Books, movies, tv shows, poems, I imagined pretty much any fiction that was to my liking.

-What would you do if you had God-like powers. I enjoy this one immensely. One of the first things I choose to do is split myself into 5 limited aspects of my own personality and then we play games and make bets with each other, whilst screwing with humanity.

·
Registered
INFJ
2,568 Posts
Not an INTJ but: I make bets with my environment, count things that don't need to be counted, time things that don't need to be timed, estimate things that don't need to be estimated, etc. It's like purposely making the external world more entertaining than it is or playing with it mentally. When I was little I really liked hanging off of things with my head upside down and imagining what the world would look like bottom side up but I think that's part of ordinary happenings inside a kid's imagination.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts