Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'd have to say depression and social anxiety are the most common, from what I've seen from INFPs talking about their problems.

Of course, I personally deal with both of these problems, so I might be missing something. ^^;

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Most common I believe are depression and attention deficit disorder.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I agree with Acey. I heard elsewhere that psychology has in a way become its own religion, gradually walking a road towards an unchanging objective view of telling people what is right in a mind and what isn't as if it was dogma or scripture. There is wisdom in the belief I think that "sanity is socially accepted insanity" whilst the more traditional view of "insanity is socially unacceptable sanity" tends to look down on 'less conventional' modes of thought. In the end I think it comes down to a person's personality belief or personal verdict with the ability or inability for the mind to function, either personally or in the society as a whole (whichever the mind were to choose to be the case.) But its subjective, just like the belief from a third party that someone is crazy.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
just in general depression and anxiety are the most common mental illnesses that you will find that aren't organic in nature like dementia/alzheimers. They're fairly natural reactions to life and stress. They're kind of our bodies and minds' way of saying, "hey! Hold up! We need to take some time to do something like process this, okay?" it's only when we don't start to recover that ther's a problem, and tha has as much to do with societal expectations as anything else.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reactions: Aizar

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Depression, anxiety, and ADHD would probably be most common. There is probably a statistically significant number of INFPs which also have Asperger's (certainly I have many Aspy traits).

I wouldn't be surprised (this is my intuition taking over) if there were a statistically significant number with narcissistic personality disorder and schizophrenia spectrum disorders. I could also imagine some being having manic-depression, bipolar disorder, and/or dissociative identity disorder.

Reactions: isamanthax

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
@rowingineden

Oooh! The sith code!

Peace is a lie. There is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The force shall set me free.

·
Registered
INFP 9w1
788 Posts
I agree with Acey. I heard elsewhere that psychology has in a way become its own religion, gradually walking a road towards an unchanging objective view of telling people what is right in a mind and what isn't as if it was dogma or scripture. There is wisdom in the belief I think that "sanity is socially accepted insanity" whilst the more traditional view of "insanity is socially unacceptable sanity" tends to look down on 'less conventional' modes of thought. In the end I think it comes down to a person's personality belief or personal verdict with the ability or inability for the mind to function, either personally or in the society as a whole (whichever the mind were to choose to be the case.) But its subjective, just like the belief from a third party that someone is crazy.
Yea, I can't really take all that mental health stuff serious anymore either. It does indeed seem like a religion for some people, especially on the internet. Some seem to find their identity and hope in that, just like others find hope and identity in "real" religions.

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
The main reason why INFPs are so sad even though ENFPs are so happy is the Si that makes it impossible to forget that everybody hates you.

Reactions: Huron00

·
Banned
ENFJ — sx/so — 2w3 7w6 9w8: The Peacekeeper
4,399 Posts
Sometimes I wonder if INFP is even a type, that we're all just different types but with mental disabilities. Then I forget about it and chase a paper bag outside.

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
We're probably more susceptible to all mental illnesses in general (except sociopathy) due to our sensitive temperament. The MOST prevalent seem to be ADHD, social anxiety, and depression.

Personally, I have OCD (diagnosed) and generalized anxiety disorder (not sure if formally diagnosed, but it's extremely obvious to anyone who knows me). I used to have depression but after some positive life changes that's gone.

And I also have some kind of undiagnosed mental disorder, but I don't know what it is. It's either ADHD, Asperger's, borderline personality disorder, or some combination of those. If I had to guess I would say, either ADHD or Asperger's, compounded with the effects of childhood trauma that amplify certain BPD tendencies. I've worked a lot on my issues since cutting off contact with my abusive mother seven months ago, and now I no longer meet the diagnostic criteria for BPD (although I did for several years and I still identify with the stuff most people write on the BPD subreddit), but I definitely have some kind of severe concentration issues as well as severe anxiety.

But who the hell knows? I'm considering seeing a therapist again just to get a label for what the problem is...but my last therapist didn't give out formal diagnoses, he just "treated the symptoms" which is why I stopped seeing him because that annoyed me.

·
Registered
44 Posts
as for what's most common, i don't know. although i suppose this is what this thread can determine, infps can post their mental health issues and we can see if there's any consensus.

as for what i have, i have social anxiety disorder, borderline personality disorder (discouraged subtype, basically it's a lot like having bpd and avpd without actually having the latter), ptsd, idk what else.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Anxiety, depression, mood swings, and lack of concentration—among other things are experienced by everyone, it's normal. It just depends to what degree it affects your life.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
From what I've seen here social anxiety seems to be the most prevalent along with depression. Our Fi world is much more interesting than real life, so it makes sense.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts