·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump! Yall need this.

·
Registered
265 Posts
That's a lot of information packed into 17 minutes! But I guess the first step is to pay attention to your thoughts and what you "practice" by letting your thoughts go in a certain direction. And if you don't like what you're practicing, then you should practice something else. As someone pointed out to me recently, changing your thoughts and behavior can be very difficult because it feels like you're doing something "wrong." But it feels wrong in the same way that anything else you haven't practiced will feel wrong. I guess "awkward" is a better word for it.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I didnt watch the video....

But.

There are certain chemicals in the brain that are released when a person is stressed and can cause a multitude of probelms. Maybe they want to study if this is lessened or what other chemicals are released when relaxed, and mediation is a relation technique.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I could, but I thought the way it was presented was really educational and beneficial. I wouldn't want to miss something important either in my summary.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didnt watch the video....

But.

There are certain chemicals in the brain that are released when a person is stressed and can cause a multitude of probelms. Maybe they want to study if this is lessened or what other chemicals are released when relaxed, and mediation is a relation technique.
Well, this video kind of brings up the influence of thought patterns on one's emotional state. Mindfulness, or paying attention to what you're doing (meditation), is important for disrupting negative thought patterns. I would venture to guess that anyone with an intuitive personality type would have a especially difficult time with a wandering mind.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bump. It's for your own good. :)

·
Banned
3,960 Posts
There is a lot of "scientific discoveries" to be made now that many people wants to find out the "truth" of how a brain works. Maybe this sits well with some mindsets and that they think this will advance humanity or something. I am a little cautious on how this kind of information will be used in the future. As I know that it is only in certain countries like the US that these information are useful for. The rest of the world is really not following these kind of discoveries as such, and bias.

I used to think that the world is pretty simple until I realise that the rest of the world thinks so differently and that some supposed work is meant to "help" humanity but really set them backwards and create a divide.

I think such areas are being discovered now maybe people know that spirituality is important to the development of a person. (As it is obvious that in some countries the government removes itself from a religious construct and everything seems to be so much more chaotic. Science of this type replaces that missing link.) Also, in some far future, someone would also think that "structure" in a civilised state is also important too. Whether those in power will use it against human kind is another matter altogether. The concept of singularity already scares the hell out of me.

Also, science of this kind, psychology, neuroscience, is a big area that really does not need to be explored. Cos the information can fall into bad hands and then marginalise society and humans overall. Neuroscience tries to map the human brain and its function and when to control that. If anything is to be considered here, we only need to abstract how mbti is used to marginalise the freedom of thoughts already. The concept is merely there for understanding sake, but not to use it against someone and therefore create divides... or to put someone at a disadvantage or use it as a power to control someone else. i.e. you are of this type and therefore you are not allowed to be in this job.

It is better such information or knowledge never get discovered sometimes. Yes, I am skeptical in this area of "research"...

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Couldn't you sum up what the video says.
Well she sums up most of what she said in the end towards the 16:13 mark.

@pretyhowtownPretty interesting video, it's interesting to see that our brain works like all other muscles and that if we exercise certain thought pattern we can get good at them. I'm a bit self defeating and since I've done it a whole lot, I got good at it. Like she said it's not necessarily something you want to get good at. It's encouraging that you can develop certain qualities that you admire by exercising them. I know I have stuff to improve, I have quite a lot of automatic thought that aren't necessarily healthy.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is better such information or knowledge never get discovered sometimes. Yes, I am skeptical in this area of "research"...
I see what you're saying... kind of like the ethical issues surrounding cloning, no? I think the information presented in the video is very pertinent, however, and is already being utilized to formulate new methods of psychotherapy. Dismissing potentially helpful information for fear that it might "get in to the wrong hands" seems pretty silly to me. The knowledge we have is only a fraction the size of the knowledge that is suppressed.

·
Banned
3,960 Posts
I see what you're saying... kind of like the ethical issues surrounding cloning, no? I think the information presented in the video is very pertinent, however, and is already being utilized to formulate new methods of psychotherapy. Dismissing potentially helpful information for fear that it might "get in to the wrong hands" seems pretty silly to me. The knowledge we have is only a fraction the size of the knowledge that is suppressed.
What is knowledge when it used to suppress the joy of being a human, which is to make mistakes or to enjoy people's own development and watch each other grow naturally ?

I never understood the psychiatrist culture of the US when some of these stories and personal stories are what most people share between their loved ones at home. Or within their communities, or with people whom they build up the trust and relationship with. Across the globe, people rely on these kind of connection to advance and build up their communities.

It is not silly as it is real, and yes, it is also pretty harmful, and all you need to see if how much kids are drugged in the US way beyond their normal development.

There is a moral line somewhere that one has to draw. It is an egg and chicken situation, because you have more kids drugged up and not necessarily loved in a very natural way, then therefore you need more understanding psychologically to advance them in order to advance your society because "information" seems to be the one single factor supposedly to advance a nation which are already mostly educated. How much is enough ? Where is the cut off point ?

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
What is knowledge when it used to suppress the joy of being a human, which is to make mistakes or to enjoy people's own development and watch each other grow naturally ?

I never understood the psychiatrist culture of the US when some of these stories and personal stories are what most people share between their loved ones at home. Or within their communities, or with people whom they build up the trust and relationship with. Across the globe, people rely on these kind of connection to advance and build up their communities.

It is not silly as it is real, and yes, it is also pretty harmful, and all you need to see if how much kids are drugged in the US way beyond their normal development.

There is a moral line somewhere that one has to draw. It is an egg and chicken situation, because you have more kids drugged up and not necessarily loved in a very natural way, then therefore you need more understanding psychologically to advance them in order to advance your society because "information" seems to be the one single factor supposedly to advance a nation which are already mostly educated. How much is enough ? Where is the cut off point ?
Did you watch the video? The lady is talking about studying ancient wisdom and contemplative practices in order to help people get along in their lives without drugs or any other external factor-- just learning to relax the mind-body at will, and change thought patterns. This practice is as simple as paying attention to your own breath-- no drugs needed. She even states in the video that major depression develops because of strong negative thought patterns; ergo, interrupt the thought pattern and replace it with a helpful, positive thought pattern. Again, no drugs needed. I agree with you that a lot of problems are treated with medication that need not, and that kids should be given tools to deal with problems that have nothing to do with medication, including unconditional love. It really is a fascinating video, and if you didn't watch it, I suggest you do.

Reactions: ProtectorOfKittens

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bumpity bump bump

1 - 14 of 14 Posts