Personality Cafe banner

Do you relate?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I know Mercutio is as ENTP as a fictional character from the late 16th century comes and I'm curious on how y'all feel about him.

I, myself, loved the character and actually played him twice while I was in school and a couple more times I did his part in readings, so I definitely felt drawn to him. In fact, I turned down being Romeo to be Mercutio one of those times.

I feel like his death scene is something that could happen to me. For me, I could see me being with a friend, then they mess with him, he backs down so I decide to put the jackass messing with my best friend in his place, we draw guns but my friend stops me and somehow they kill me, sneaky bastard.

Then the good part: My reaction would be just the same as Mercutio's (just more modern). I would say something like "You idiot! Why'd you get in the way, now I'm gonna probably die. Call 911 you fool, both of you should be shot!"

Yeah, I empathize with him, and empathy isn't my strong suit most the time, so I know I can relate. I wanna know if y'all feel the same.

·
Banned
3,139 Posts
Come on, what other type would make a humourous pun on his deathbed? :D He has some pretty nice quotes. "Prick love for pricking thee..." something like that. I'm too lazy to look it up.

·
Premium Member
6,856 Posts
He was by far the only character worth a moments notice in the play for me.

And I also played him in a school play. Had a lot of fun with that death scene.

But man, if I got killed because some wimp like Romeo tried to call of a legitimate fight between my enemy and me...well, I can see why he cursed both their houses. I'd be pretty pissed to say the least.

Long story short, I love Mercutio. He's a great character in an otherwise overly angsty story. I prefer Midsummer Night's Dream myself.

Reactions: ikky36

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Oh I love Mercutio, he's my favorite character in the play.
I can definitely see myself holding both families equally accountable, even though one of them includes my best friend. He also doesn't mess around in Romeo's love life, he just sort of lets him be, which is me.
But like I don't think I have his temperament. I think he can go a bit too far with jokes, and gets angrier than I do. If a friend of mine was grieving a relationship I'd give him/her time to grieve. Of course that could be partly a male/female thing, but I'm not into forcing people to be social.
But yeah, I can see why other ENTPs identify with him.

·
Banned
2,373 Posts
... well. Mercutio does have a point when Romeo is moping and crying over ... err, what's her face. I don't remember the first girl's name but the fact of the matter is that Romeo is torturing himself. We all need a Mercutio at some point to tell us: Dude, this chick is poison. Let it go. I don't think I would pressure Romeo into going clubbing with me if he's not up for it but certainly I would say something. I've made the mistake in the past of not speaking my mind and it ended up turning the entire friendship sour.

With regards to my mouth ... I didn't get myself killed. But I sure got myself thrown out of college ... Mercutio style. Same back story: choosing my friends over the establishment and the consequences resulting from the powers that be. Been there, done that, minus the getting myself killed part. But I did burn a lot of bridges ... maybe its the modern equivalent thereof.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
... well. Mercutio does have a point when Romeo is moping and crying over ... err, what's her face. I don't remember the first girl's name but the fact of the matter is that Romeo is torturing himself. We all need a Mercutio at some point to tell us: Dude, this chick is poison. Let it go.
Valid point! Yeah, the girls name is Rosaline. And my interpretation of her has always been that Romeo was madly in love with her (But not really because they aren't that compatible, he's just the type to romanticize people weather he should or not) and she just doesn't care about him. I think we've all known someone in this situation, where they're like head-over-heels for someone who just doesn't care about them. And it is really good to have someone draw you out of that, but clearly his methods weren't the best.
Because OF COURSE the overly romantic heartbroken guy is going to fall in love with the first girl he sees. OF COURSE he's going to think it's more than just a rebound. And it's a party at his rivals house! Seriously, how did Mercutio think this was going to end well? I think that it was somewhat selfishly motivated, he wanted to go to the party with his best friend, or at least didn't want to feel guilty leaving him behind.

·
Banned
2,373 Posts
... true, true. A lot of us were in a similar situation and just don't want to fess up. But yeah, Mercutio's story would make for a great rap album: Let's try to get some ass in that other 'hood and not get stabbed. I always thought Juliet to be the more interesting character of two. I reckon she sees Romeo as means to her freedom, except she ends up liking the guy. Look at how she and the nurse talk: almost like she's a bit of a libertine. Mind you this is not something I picked up on the first time I read it. Or something we talked about in school.

Point of the story: ENxPs have ideas. They don't always end well. I always thought the game was look-don't-touch. You'd think Romeo would have some sense and not fall in love with a str ... I mean Capulet. You know where I'm going with this. You'd think Romeo would have some brains and score another case of oneitis. Doesn't Mercutio talk about ALL the girls. The idea was free booze, hot chicks and not do anything stupid as fall in love. I was called a wet blanket by English teacher ... he saw romance, and I saw mind games and politics.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts