Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone is familiar with the theory of somatotypes (physical types), this is a topic for you. I've very rarely met mesomorphic 4s. I only know one such 4. Most 4s I know are ectomorphs, like myself, and I've known some endomorphic 4s. I was shocked when I was reviewing to myself people I'd known, and concluded a lack of mesomorphic 4s around me that I know of.

I find it humorous. Just...one. haha Actually, I'm unsure if I've seen many mesomorphic 4 celebrities.

For those unfamiliar: from left to right is ecto, meso, endo

Right to top to left: ecto, meso, endo

I use the second picture due to the hypotheses of correlations to cog functions. I just stumbled upon it, found it interesting. You can comment on this, too, but it's just an aside to the main topic.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I'm of the endomorphic and most certainly a Type 4. I'm also through-the-roof extraverted intuition, according to this I should be ecto-meso when I'm more like the guy on the middle left.

I believe somatotype is mostly genetic, I'm not so sure about psychological function and have no clue if there's any correlation between genetics and enneatype.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
That's an interesting diagram! I'm a type 4 INFP and ectomorphic. My INFP best friend is also ectomorphic. But this diagram doesn't follow through for my ENFP boyfriend, as he's more like the middle left dude. Now that I think about it, my type 4 friend is a mesomorph. Her parents are ectomorphs, though.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Don't let 'em fool ya. Seek out Ayurveda: Vata = Ecto, Pitta = Meso, Kapha = Endo. We are ever evolving, changing according to our environment & psychological condition. A type is engraved, the manifestation is colorful. While physical cues in movements or fixed attributes such as the eye structure are to be expected to manifest throughout one's life, when it comes to physical body structure -- it's deceiving.

The Ecto-Thin, Meso-Masculine, Endo-Pudgy is a crude classification & an issue when it comes to determine one's somatotype, since a dominant type could be overshadowed by an imbalance stems from the others in line. An alleged 'ectomorph' could actually be a mesomorph or endomorph with an ecto imbalance. When a type (/dosha) goes out of balance, it can override the dominant features. Thinking in Enneagram/MBTI terms, it's an interesting concept to think about: we perceive ourselves as our [probable] imbalanced version when we're disregarding our past selves, before reality knocked on our door. That's why I always said it's so crucial in my opinion to analyse your childhood behaviour, your reactions back then before you had the chance to evolve from the automatic childish ego-state.

Years ago when I got acquainted with these types, I saw myself as an Ecto-Mesomorph (Vata-Pitta). It may sound eerie but I was diagnosed by an Ayurvedic MD-ND last month. Those dudes have the skills to analyse your type based on your deeper body structure (tongue, finger nails, pulse, bone structure etc'). Thinking these days that I'm a clear-cut Ectomorph / Vata, he said that the case is that I actually carry an extreme Vata imbalance that affects my whole body, and that I'm really a core Pitta-Kapha (Meso-Endo). Ecto is last! Woah. His reasoning for the imbalance is a lifelong deep psychological stress, the kind that throws Vata off the roof. woof! lifelong imbalance, eek.

So... when it comes to 4s in this case, when you see a lack of mesomorphs, what you look for is too narrow manifestation of this body type, also disregarding a possible imbalance. You'd see me and peg me for an ecto. Take into consideration that in our society, besides the awful food we eat & the ridiculous way we take care of ourselves, with all the psychological pressure modern society is infused with, ALL of us suffer from some level of imbalance which in turn affects our perceived body structure. Lack of 'mesomorphic' 4s should be looked at from an environmental standpoint, not from a genetic/enneagram correlation.

·
Registered
352 Posts
@Le9acyMuse, you'll make a real homemade pitta out of me, LM style? it'll be spicy. :3

Aries Rising eh? no surprises there sir-y... your delicate sensitive Pisces Sun is being teased by the big brother in the form of a headstrong lamb when it comes to interacting with the world. The 'real you' is water-y, the outside is fire-y as it gets. They're actually neighbours, so being on right terms could bore fruits for this couple. Let the Enneagram try and explain this combination indepth, it'll get sucked into its own circle, hah.

Been here and there, mostly here, some there. Being chased as a butterfly, y'know? Loaded with an increasing need of self-expression I stumbled here and saw your thread. Perfect topic to pour my brains out.

Staying on it then: Being careful on the overlapping, there is a definite correlation between the Doshas and the Instincts: Vata = So, Pitta = Sx, Kapha = Sp.

Vata is predominantly Air. It's ever flowing. It controls movement within the body, the nervous system = network.

Pitta is predominantly Fire. Energy production. It's hot and controls metabolism & digestion = the power to break & inhale.

Kapha is predominantly Earth. The structure of our body. What holds everything together = nesting/endurance.

Since there's a correlation but not a complete overlapping, being a Pitta/Kapha doesn't make me an Sx/Sp. What it could make me though, one might say, is being an So/Sx with an "Sx/Sp" nature.

What's interesting to test then is whether there's anything to do with the Doshas & Instinctual flow. That would mean that for an So/Sx the only possibilities besides a triodoshic (Vata/Pitta/Kapha, which is supposedly rare) are: Vata/Pitta, Kapha/Vata, Pitta/Kapha.

THAT could be awesome. Not just from a 'scientific' standpoint, but that could actually be an indirect way to minimize instinctual possibles for those having trouble finding their instincts. Our physical body is more visibly open for analysis, hence why it's easier to analyse cognitive functions (P'L) & doshas (Ayurveda) then it is to pinpoint an ego (Enneagram) manifestation. Though the latter is clearly there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts