Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Banned
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I noticed there is an inherent lack of metal appreciation on this forum, while looking at people's favorite bands. Thinking it'd be a decent idea to form a thread to share great music that others may enjoy for a genre that has vast diffrentiation.

Whether its old school metal (Death, Cirith Ungol, Metallica, Iron Maiden, etc.) or new-age death metalcore, post your preferences and what you think some people should draw from the music.

I'll start: With various background in music theory, I developed a deep appreciation for technical death metal. One of the most recent albums (Incurso) released by:

Spawn of Possession ;really draws upon some of the most technically complex myusic you might ever hear. They had two famous Necrophagist musicians work with them on the album which gives that class technical-feel that Necrophagist is famous for.

Here's a fantastic song that I thoroughly enjoy. Pay attention to the time-signature shifts and tempo increase/decrease that the band employs through their breakdowns and transitions. I get a strong jazz influence from this 9 minute orchestral beauty:

Beneath the Massacre (Brutal Technical Death metal - Canadian)
Their technique is flawless. Even when live, it is absolutely perfect and involves amazing improvisation.

All Shall Perish (Melodic Death Metal)
This music is thrilling, it lifts you up with the melody-driven progressions and background blastbeats leading you to the next phase of the song. They are also flawless live, and I am pleased to be seeing them in a couple weeks.

Death (Classic Melodic Metal)
Setting the stage and defying authority was metal back in the day. The influence from the early bands can still be heard, even in modern metal. The drumming, guitar riffs, and singing patterns were truly set by Death. Chuck Shulinder, the main guitarist and vocalist wrote the songs and truly redefined and set a whole new stage to the metal genre.

Carry on~

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'll be honest. I'm not a hardcore fan of metal. But there are some exceptions.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I'll start: With various background in music theory, I developed a deep appreciation for technical death metal. One of the most recent albums (Incurso) released by:

Spawn of Possession ;really draws upon some of the most technically complex myusic you might ever hear. They had two famous Necrophagist musicians work with them on the album which gives that class technical-feel that Necrophagist is famous for.

Beneath the Massacre (Brutal Technical Death metal - Canadian)
Their technique is flawless. Even when live, it is absolutely perfect and involves amazing improvisation.
Carry on~
YES Spawn of Possession's new album is amazing, and have you heard Beneath the Massacre's new one? Pretty much every single song on it is great.

For me, nothing compares to The Black Dahlia Murder. I love Technical Death Metal to death, but just something about TBDM makes them so much better than anyone else I've ever heard. And even though they have a shitty reputation because of their old stuff, Job for a Cowboy's last two albums have been amazing, and his vocals are almost as good as Trevor's from TBDM.

Reactions: Antichrist

·
Banned
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
@Pitchblend

Some hardcore metal just takes time to appreciate. With technical death metal, you will never get anything more brutal than that. Black metal is just trying too hard to be different with its odd industrial-imbued sounds.

Some deathcore and metalcore is extremely poetic. I will put one of my favorite deathcore bands: Through the Eyes of the Dead

TtEotD has extravagantly poetic and brutally dynamic lyrics. They are melancholic at times, and it has a black metal feel to it with the demonic singing that they employ:

Lyrics

@Alpengeist19

I am glad we have another tech-death fan here. Yes, Beneath the Massacre's new album, Incongruous, is absolutely amazing. I am planning to see them live later this April.

This song is unbelievable. Listen to the subtle stops where they skip 2 or 3 measures in between their sweep/tremolo picking:

Black Dahlia Murder is another fantastic death metal band. Spawn of Possession's early material reminded me very much of them; they must have been influenced by BDM.

Here is a famous and intense song by them for any new users:

@Moon_Child

Thank you for posting some classic 80's metal, Moon_Child. Metallica was extremely influential for the genre and added a whole new level of dynamism with shrill/coarse singing and fast beat progressions.

@Kayness

Very nice post of some classic, melodic, and epic metal.

I'd like to point out to the metal fans that like toned down metal, listen to Porcupine Tree. A progressive metal band that employs death metal tonality throughout all of Steven Wilson's music.

Here is an entire EP that someone uploaded. There are 4 songs, but the first and last tracks are my favorite:

We need to discuss Opeth soon... Probably one of the top 3 metal bands to ever exist. Best lyrical and transitional feel I ever heard for any metal group.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Blood Stain Child - Freedom

DragonForce - Through the Fire and Flames

Kamelot - Forever

Nightwish - Beauty of the Beast

Sabaton - Ghost Division

Rammstein - Mein Herz Brennt

X Japan - Art of Life

Reactions: Moon_Child

·
Banned
3,145 Posts
@julia_irrlicht - really! and Wagner is the thrash metal of the classical music world! People seem to think that metal and classical music are polar opposite in terms of genre, but nothing can be further from the truth!

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
Thanks @Kayness for making me dig out my Backend Cds to see if this was the same Immortal I remembered, apparently I had them confused with Enslaved musically whom I really didn't find interesting at all. I much prefer Immortal, especially that song. Holy crap, I'll never make that mistake again. Emperor is still the best though :)

Sorry about the changes but I wanted one off each CD that sounded the best then found the live DVD stuff and managed to pull one off each anyway.

Reactions: eLiZium

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
I just found this oldschool-style video. I gotta say the videos I've come across mostly tonight on YT even the so-called black metal ones have been full of suck which is kind of crappy since some of the songs were actually decent. The viking ones are the worst though lol. They were all so lame, it's a nice break to find this. Yeah, it's kind of stupid but who cares, it's fun! :p

Others I found that were interesting: (I'm trying to stick to newer ones here)

Interesting video...still better than the poseur ones I saw earlier.

Hey I found an Enslaved song I kind of like, woo! Vast improvement from the stuff I heard a while back. Strangely the clean vocals are what makes this one more likeable to me, usually it's the other way around. But I like the guy's voice, that always helps and it's not overdone.

Damn I almost skipped over this, glad I didn't! Much love! <3

On that note, so ends chapter 1 of "New Shit I just Found"...

·
Banned
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@KuRoMi Loving the Gojira.

Anyone been here been to arena metal concerts? Just brutal circles of drunken individuals beating the shit out of one another; it never fails to make me laugh.

Ok, time to one-up all of you with Opeth:

For some odd reason, Swedish metal bands always have some of the best vocals and most talented guitarists writing amazing music. Opeth takes 1st place amongst all of them, as Mikael Åkerfeldt has continually released amazing music album after album. The transitional singing is beautiful, I have never heard such a pleasant melodic singing voice being coupled with a hoarse and deathly growl that Mikael possess. Their live performances are considered to be something along the lines of a religious experience. Their precision and better-than-studio sound consistently has flabbergasted me on more than one occurrence.

Amazing videos, amazing band, top 5 metal bands of all time- no questions asked.

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
This thread is full of so much win.

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
My newest fave DIVINITY!!

·
Banned
3,145 Posts
@KuRoMi - I somehow always confuse In the Nightside Eclipse for The Burning Shadows of Silence

OOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHH how about My Dying Bride!?

1 - 20 of 158 Posts