Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
Introverted intuitive type
5,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm a metal virgin. By which I mean, of course I've heard OF metal, listened to some of it, but I never really got into it until now.

Now that I've discovered this fucking amazing website:

Map of Metal

Not trying to advertise or anything, just genuinely trying to share a link to a very helpful website for exploring everything metal has to offer these days and getting a great overview of the history and evolution of the genre into it's many variations.

I've come to find out that I actually really do like metal - specifically, I am now a huge fan of Neo Classical Metal. I knew about Yngwie Malmsteen before, but I didn't know about anyone else in the genre. Now I'm exploring it further and finding out all kinds of artists I never knew about that I really love. Like, I didn't know that the guitarist from Megadeth (Marty Friedman) did a solo album of this stuff! It's really beautiful.

Maybe you guys will find something new on the map and post about it yourself.:cool:

This thread is all about METAL.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Anyone else know of any good prog metal groups? (Besides Cynic, which I already know and love.)
Not the biggest fan of Prog but some bands I know are Dream Theater (personally don't like much), Mastodon (these guys are pretty creative), Opeth (not quite my taste but popular nonetheless), Atheist (similar to Cynic, death/prog,), Death (the later albums, love them), Symphony X (similar to Yngwie Malmsteen, prog/power), Kamelot (also prog/power), Queensryche (probably the earliest prog metal band), and Fates Warning (also an early prog metal band). Some other bands with some prog influences I can think of are Gojira, Meshuggah, Between the Buried and Me, and The Dillinger Escape Plan but these bands are on the heavier side and not straight up progressive. Some people consider Tool to be progressive metal but I disagree; however they are phenomenal and worth a listen if you've never heard of them.

·
Registered
296 Posts
To add on to the first reply, try Out Voivod (harmonically, structurally, and thematically quite strange, lots of dissonance), The later works of Emperor (pioneers of symphonic black metal, who became more progressive over time), and of course Rush's 2112 (that epic masterpiece laid the groundwork for the fusion of metal and prog rock).

·
Registered
252 Posts
Not the biggest fan of Prog but some bands I know are Dream Theater (personally don't like much), Mastodon (these guys are pretty creative), Opeth (not quite my taste but popular nonetheless), Atheist (similar to Cynic, death/prog,), Death (the later albums, love them), Symphony X (similar to Yngwie Malmsteen, prog/power), Kamelot (also prog/power), Queensryche (probably the earliest prog metal band), and Fates Warning (also an early prog metal band). Some other bands with some prog influences I can think of are Gojira, Meshuggah, Between the Buried and Me, and The Dillinger Escape Plan but these bands are on the heavier side and not straight up progressive. Some people consider Tool to be progressive metal but I disagree; however they are phenomenal and worth a listen if you've never heard of them.
Pretty decent list you've got, though. Dream Theater, Opeth, Atheist, Symphony X, BTBAM, and Cynic were kinda my entry-level prog. Meshuggah is heavy as fuck but that's exactly why you should check them out. Oh, yeah, The Faceless are decent as well, but they're more like proggy tech death. Check out their latest album.

Also check out:

Pain of Salvation - Entropia (probably their proggiest album - if you want something more... 'refined' and focused on song-writing, check out Remedy Lane. Yeah, I know song-writing is the main focus in all music but Entropia really goes all out with the prog stuff, Remedy Lane takes it back a notch and focuses more on the vocals, lyrics, and development.)

Andromeda - Two is One (fairly solid album)

Ayreon - The Human Equation (pretty much a must-hear for any prog fan, but once again this focuses more on lyrics and concept, rather than being all-out prog like Animals as Leaders)

Blotted Science - The Machinations of Dementia (This is all-out. For sure.)

Coprofago - Unorthodox Creative Criteria (nice jazzy tech death. Check out Wavelength for sick jazz intro pls)

Devin Townsend - Ocean Machine

Edge of Sanity - Crimson

Enslaved - anything post-Mardraum, if you want proggier stuff. Everything before is more black metal-y. The later in the discography, the proggier it is.

Ephel Duath - The Painter's Palette, and Phormula

Gordian Knot - both albums. Led by Sean Malone of Cynic.

maudlin of the Well - Leaving Your Body Map. sick avant-garde stuff

Sleepytime Gorilla Museum - In Glorious Times

Ne Obliviscaris - Portal of I

Nevermore - This Godless Endeavor (must-listen. Absolutely.)

SikTh - both albums.

Spastic Ink - everything by them, I don't recall how many albums they have. Same frontman as Blotted Science, in any case.

Spiral Architect - A Sceptic's Universe (one of my favorite prog albums to this date. So goddamn good.)

Textures - check out all their stuff, you'll probably find something you like.

Alarum - Eventuality...

Martyr - Warp Zone

Planet X - Moonbabies and Quantum. These guys are insanely talented. The drummer is not human, I swear.

Obscura - Omnivium

Halcyon - Pastures

Chimp Spanner - At the Dream's Edge

Twisted Into Form - Then Comes Affliction to Awaken the Dreamer (really unique sounding, just like Spiral Architect)

·
Registered
339 Posts
There are two prog metal albums that are so far ahead of all the others that there's no point in looking any further:

But in case you do want more for whatever reason, these are also pretty good:

Hammers of Misfortune - The August Engine
(Can't find a video)

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So far I'm really into the following, in no particular order,

Animals as Leaders
Cynic
Ayreon
Symphony X
Spiral Architect
Blotted Science
Queensryche
Dream Theater
Atheist
Fates Warning
Opeth
Threshold
Nightwish
Stratovarius
Yngwie Malmsteen
Rhapsody
Luca Turilli
Kamelot
Sonata Arctica
Within Temptation
Dragonlord
Tool

·
Registered
339 Posts
Have you tried any death metal? Since you're a newbie, you probably need some adjustment before you can appreciate it fully, but anyway, here are my 5 favourite dm albums:

Demigod - Slumber of Sullen Eyes

The Chasm - Deathcult for Eternity: The Triumph

Brutality - Screams of Anguish

Incantation - Onward to Golgotha

At the Gates - The Red in the Sky Is Ours

BTW don't take that metal map thingy too seriously, I have never heard any experienced metal fan speak of "melodic power metal" before and everything under South American death metal is just filthy thrash metal and Inquisition should be under US black metal.

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Korn was my first step into the metal world. Their first album was amazing, though they've gone downhill musically since their sixth album, IMO.

Deftones are awesome, they started out very nu metal, now come under alternative more than anything. White Pony is a great album.

I got into doom metal last year too, I love Black Sabbath's early stuff and My Dying Bride (I think it says something about the UK that most doom metal bands come from here).

Also, you can't have a metal thread without some Pantera.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Pretty decent list you've got, though. Dream Theater, Opeth, Atheist, Symphony X, BTBAM, and Cynic were kinda my entry-level prog. Meshuggah is heavy as fuck but that's exactly why you should check them out. Oh, yeah, The Faceless are decent as well, but they're more like proggy tech death. Check out their latest album.
Oh yeah, Meshuggah is awesome. Honestly not really prog but they're really hard to peg down as a genre haha. Funny you mention The Faceless' latest album, I didn't really listen to it much but I remember not really liking it. Will have to give it another listen. Your list has actually rekindled a new interest in prog haha, I'm more of a Death Metal/Thrash Metal guy personally.

Have you tried any death metal? Since you're a newbie, you probably need some adjustment before you can appreciate it fully, but anyway, here are my 5 favourite dm albums:

BTW don't take that metal map thingy too seriously, I have never heard any experienced metal fan speak of "melodic power metal" before and everything under South American death metal is just filthy thrash metal and Inquisition should be under US black metal.
Yeah dude, right on suggesting needing some time to adjust to Death Metal, that's one of my main tips for anyone getting into metal. Going from listening to Black Sabbath and Metallica to Obituary and Cryptopsy likely causes some shock and can turn someone off from the more extreme bands for a long time.

Would have to agree with your second paragraph but it is definitely known that metal-heads are really anal about their genres. Seriously, go to any metal video on youtube and half the comments are about whether the music is brutal death metal or tech slam fuckcore with a splash of lemons. I mean, fans would even say At The Gates isn't Death Metal it's Melodic Death Metal. Whatever dude. Lol at South American death metal being thrash (looking at you Sepultura).

Anyways, here's a few Death Metal songs to contribute:

Fleshgod Apocalypse - The Egoism

Decrepit Birth - ...And Time Begins

Origin - Wrath of Vishnu

Behemoth - At the Left Hand ov God

Deeds of Flesh - Amidst the Ruins

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's another thing about metal that I am really getting into.

The artwork.

All this album art is fucking sick. I love it.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Would have to agree with your second paragraph but it is definitely known that metal-heads are really anal about their genres. Seriously, go to any metal video on youtube and half the comments are about whether the music is brutal death metal or tech slam fuckcore with a splash of lemons. I mean, fans would even say At The Gates isn't Death Metal it's Melodic Death Metal. Whatever dude. Lol at South American death metal being thrash (looking at you Sepultura).
At the Gates were becoming melodic around With Fear... and Slaughter of the Soul is pretty much the quintessential melodeath album (and funnily enough also the quintessential 21st century metalcore album, but that's another story), so it depends.

How is Sepultura not thrash metal? They're even the best thrash band ever!

FYI as far as I'm concerned Sepultura disbanded after the 80s ;) If you would've argued that Sarcophago were proto-second wave black metal (lol) I'd have to agree though.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts