Personality Cafe banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An exercise for all of you.

Create a metaphor. I'd like to see what you come up with.

·
Banned
4,124 Posts
My first thought upon seeing this thread was "A metaphor for what? Just anything of interest?"

I've come up with some okay ones in the past...maybe I can remember those or think of something new. Eventually.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I can't think of anything new right now, but the other day I was writing an email to a friend and compared it to a piece of modern art because it was disjointed and didn't make sense. Does that count?

·
Registered
503 Posts
Apparently I suck at metaphors. Is that an ISFJ thing? Or just me? One time I compared my dying cat to a two year old caught in a burning building. It went something like, "Getting him to use this litter box he's not used to, is like trying to get a two year old to jump out of the second floor of a burning building."

What I meant was a two year old doesn't have common sense. So even if you are down on the ground, trying to convince them to jump out of the second floor window of a burning building, they won't do it. In the same way, my dying cat also had no common sense, and wouldn't use the new litter box I placed for him.

Um, can't think of anymore right now. :) But yeah, no one ever get's my metaphors. -_-

·
Registered
896 Posts
We have a pet conure who wears a suit and harness when outside. Getting her into it is usually takes some planning. The metaphor I think of every time is getting a toddler into a snowsuit and she's all stiff limbed and uncooperative. Makes me smile every time.

Reactions: angelcat

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'll try but I don't know if it's what you want... and I understand the definition of metaphor,but I have a hard time applying it, so sorry if this somehow doesn't qualify.

"There's a city. Its buildings are tall and stately, its streets open, green and safe. It is a modern creature, upstanding yet beautifully evolving. If you asked the people who live there about it, these are the things they'd emphasise. They're proud to live there. It's the right place.

They wouldn't talk about one aspect though - the sewage they create, that flows through them and that has to be taken care of. They'd leave this sewage to the underground places. They don't want to view it as a part of their city even when it's one of the constant aspects and foundations."

As to what it means, I wonder if you have an interpretation?

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
My Skype conversations with my INFP friend are littered with them. I won't quote her, but I'll quote myself.

"Are you getting tired of being the exotic bird in the chameleon cage?"

"I'm blurring what's otherwise a clear picture."

"I'm starting to wonder if my tripping on my journey through "Hell" provides voyeuristic amusement and lessons for others.
Like, ****, I'm beyond arriving wherever it is that I ever wanted to, but at least someone else is getting something out of my **** ups!
LIFE: everybody is ****ing up left and right, it's so educational and sh!t.
WANNA PLAY? :Þ"

"Will your moment today stand out in your emotional memory as a lighthouse?
Guide you through future fog as a beacon?"

"but when I get depressed, I have to fix it.
If I don't seek happiness, I'll kill myself.
If I can't create something out of the sh!t I fell into, y'know, see it as fertilizer and grow something with it, I will die."
"...I won't be like the worms and eat the sh!t, but I'll definitely use the sh!t as fuel to make edible things."

"Death is boring.
Death is too much unknown.
I want to keep playing in this sandbox for a while."

"The mind is a twisted panorama putting our souls, naked, on display while we sleep..."

"Things, seemingly trivial things, harmless little moments, reminders, they trigger an avalanche of crap.
It reawakens a type of, um, circular trauma.
Like being sucked down a toilet drain, nothing to hold onto."

There was a metaphor I made about dopamine and its receptors that I abruptly related to sexual imagery, for the lolz, (typical) but I won't quote that.

·
Banned
4,124 Posts
I came up with one while I was out for a walk yesterday:

"After some conversations I've had, I can't tell anymore if I'm actually an unhinged Feeler, or a Thinker whose ability to reason logically and objectively has been cracked wide open, scrambled, burnt, unceremoniously dumped out of its vessel, drizzled with sadness-ketchup until the squeezy-top fell off and turned "drizzling" into "drowning", then finally offered as-is as a food offering to the Lares of self-perception. Who, naturally, have left it untouched and rotting where it is, and I've just mistaken that for its original, clean, contained form."

Reactions: Sophi

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
The world was just a white-pure piece of paper, before we painted on it. Demons love red paintings.

·
Registered
914 Posts
I heard this one on the subway, the other night

"You're a knob gobbler"
"What"
"It's a metaphor, for sucking cock. Knob gobbler"

The way it was delivered made me lol

Reactions: idoh

·
Registered
68 Posts
I want to feel things deeply
To the furthest depths my ocean heart can go
Even if that means when the storm tides come, my world crashes onto the shoreline..

·
Registered
503 Posts
When I found most of my old co-workers/EVERYONE who started working with me is leaving my job...

"I feel like a mother who has lost all her children one by one and can only go and look at their graves now."

lol Why do my metaphors always become so fatalistic?

·
Registered
734 Posts
Um, this is sort of dumb. A metaphor for what? What kind of metaphor? DON'T KEEP US IN SUSPENSE, MAN

·
Registered
378 Posts
Humanity is a bee hive, buzzing to and fro.

It dances an unseen dance, the rhythm: an eternal flow.

To the outside chaos ensues, never hinting of it clues.

But where there are footprints, there are shoes.

Each moment orchestrated brilliantly.

Choice and direction woven seamlessly.

Though we are but vapor in a dream.

His invisible qualities have been seen.

In a moment of clarity, we are spare, if we find reverence there.

For a Creator that loved and bared, for a creation that did not care.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.