Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe if it was up to INTJ's, the metric system would have been implemented in the U.S. a long time ago. Is the reason we don't have it because we are a heavily capitalist society, and are doomed to forever have a hodgepodge of competing standards?

·
Registered
287 Posts
No, it's because a bunch of religious nutters in the Heartland think the metric system is the work of the Devil, and apparently they vote.

I'd say more but some of those nutters think they're INTJ and post here.

·
Banned
1,956 Posts
If there isn't money to be made in the solution there is money to be made in prolonging the problem:happy:

·
Registered
57 Posts
I never did understand why the US is so backwards as to insist on retaining the English measurement system. All it does is make it so that we have to do cumbersome conversions between US and metric, and remember all those nonsensical numbers (12 inches make a foot, 3 feet make a yard, 5280 feet make a mile). I think the real answer is habit + arrogance. People are used to the English system, and so they are reluctant to switch over to metric, even though it is so much simpler. Seriously, what's more simple than a system based on 10 with its units named with sensible Latin roots like "centi-", "kilo-", etc.? Add that to the fact that, regrettably, many Americans have the attitude that "we are the greatest country in the world, and the way we do things is the best, and we are not going to change our customs to conform to those heathens on the other side of the Atlantic." :angry:

·
Registered
45 Posts
No, it's because a bunch of religious nutters in the Heartland think the metric system is the work of the Devil, and apparently they vote.

I'd say more but some of those nutters think they're INTJ and post here.
Have you done any research? Has that research in turn led you to this conclusion?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I never did understand why the US is so backwards as to insist on retaining the English measurement system. All it does is make it so that we have to do cumbersome conversions between US and metric, and remember all those nonsensical numbers (12 inches make a foot, 3 feet make a yard, 5280 feet make a mile). I think the real answer is habit + arrogance. People are used to the English system, and so they are reluctant to switch over to metric, even though it is so much simpler. Seriously, what's more simple than a system based on 10 with its units named with sensible Latin roots like "centi-", "kilo-", etc.? Add that to the fact that, regrettably, many Americans have the attitude that "we are the greatest country in the world, and the way we do things is the best, and we are not going to change our customs to conform to those heathens on the other side of the Atlantic." :angry:
I'd half-way agree with that, except we're changing all the time, i.e., newspapers, film cameras, GPS nav., telephones, hotel keys, razors, food preparation, etc., etc., etc. We're constantly getting used to new standards, new terminologies, and new ways of doing old things.

As you say, the metric system is so much easier than inches, miles, acres, gallons, pints, quarts, pounds, SAE, etc., etc., etc. What is the benefit to a modern, global society in keeping these archaic forms of measurement? I mentioned in the OP that capitalism may be the culprit, in that there is no advantage to any single entity changing unilaterally, because it may upset part of their customer base. But is that the only reason? It just doesn't make sense to me.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I don't think it has to do with capitalism so much as democracy. There are plenty of other capitalist societies that do have the metric system and even more capitalist reasons for why the metric system should be adopted (in terms of the obvious efficiencies). However, politicians do not like to do things that are unpopular even if they make sense. I also think bluestocking girl is on to part of the answer as well. Success breeds complacency and arrogance and no nation has been more successful in material terms than the U.S. (even though this success really had nothing to do with our adhering to an old measuring system). Many European nations adopted such reforms and modernization projects only after crushing defeats in the post-war and post colonial era when the recognition for widespread reform became obvious. America has enjoyed relative success; perhaps after a few more humbling setbacks we will join the rest of the world.

·
Registered
652 Posts
i dont know to what degree if any the US uses the metric system but in the UK we use both at the same time
it shouldnt work at all, but i think it works pretty well tbh
at school i was educated in metric measurements only but this was totally different to the real world i lived in where i bought my sweets by the quarter
however i still talk about miles, i drive at 30 mph, i drink pints of milk (and beer), and weigh myself in stones and pounds, rather than kilograms - whilst i know how tall i am in cm i usually describe my height in feet and inches
i no longer bake cakes with four ounces of flour and sugar as my nanna raised me to do, i do use grams and ml for my cooking these days
if i buy a door i must either look for one that is 762mm x 1981mm or 2ft 6in by 6ft 6in - i know which is easier to remember
greengrocers in the Uk have gone to prison for the right to label and sell bananas and potatoes by the lb (rather than the kg) to their older customers - its a tricky situation
it would be very expensive to change everything, although i believe Ireland managed it successfully

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
In my visit to the US, I noticed that they take the (relatively few) traditions they have very seriously. For instance, pennies. I mean, why? Not even worth their weight in copper. Why does anyone bother with them? Why not round to the nearest nickel?

I suppose importing the metric system would be a similar matter. That, and the huge cost of changing everything. I also doubt it matters that much. Seriously, how often do you need to use units in a mathematical fashion? How often does one need to know how many feet there are in a mile? Plus, US scientist already use metric.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts