Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys!

I am the most stereotypical INTP ever. So, I am currently trying to be more focused, determined and etc. And, as a result, uncanny desires to conquer the world began to cross my mind. As those thoughts are so similar to yours, ENTJs, I decided to humbly ask if you, born competitors and leaders, have any advices to give to INTPs who are trying to master the art of ambition.

Do you? :happy:

·
Registered
412 Posts
I'm not an ENTJ, but I do have some sort of ambition. As a fellow INTP, I can say that our biggest weakness is execution.

In my opinion, honing your organizational skills is the key to making moves. I carry around a moleskine with me and write down everything I have to do. Obviously each task is leading to a bigger goal in mind.

The list does two important things:

1) Remind you of what you have to do (obvious, but I forget things in 5 seconds).
2) In a way, keeps you motivated. Each time you cross something off, it is a mini-victory.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Art thou just bitching around, Ma'am?
Totally serious, my dear.
What's your hangup? What's the problem?

For me setting a goal is like a difficult itch to scratch. It's how it feels in my brain. And I stop at nothing to scratch it.

Like, the time I got a DUI and lost my license. I couldn't do my deliveries, so I hired a delivery team. I stayed at work managing production and handling sales calls aggressively/ new biz leads, put people to work thereby boosting the local economy by a whopping two, and customers didn't miss getting product. Itch scratched.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[...] In my opinion, honing your organizational skills is the key to making moves. [...]
Already trying to do that and is actually working, I too forget ordinary daily stuff very easily. Still, I am having a hard time overcoming my tiredness, giving up little pleasures crossing the line that is supposed to make me reach higher goals. I will take over more and more responsabilities over the next month and I am already feeling overcharged or something like. I want to go further!

Thank you for your tips, mate! I'll try to be more like you, since my organizational skills are not at 100%, I am a mere beginner at this yet.

·
Registered
INTP
7,072 Posts
Set intellectual goals. Decide to learn something.

It's more open-ended, so there's nothing to 'fail' and you'll still have an ongoing sense of progress.

And as you continue down this path, more doors will magically open for you.

It's worked for me, anyway. My ENTJ dad is certainly pleased enough, that's for sure.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Already trying to do that and is actually working, I too forget ordinary daily stuff very easily. Still, I am having a hard time overcoming my tiredness, giving up little pleasures crossing the line that is supposed to make me reach higher goals. I will take over more and more responsabilities over the next month and I am already feeling overcharged or something like. I want to go further!

Thank you for your tips, mate! I'll try to be more like you, since my organizational skills are not at 100%, I am a mere beginner at this yet.
I've reached my self- imposed PerC thread post quota for today; plus I'm going to get back to work. I PMed you.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Set intellectual goals. Decide to learn something.

It's more open-ended, so there's nothing to 'fail' and you'll still have an ongoing sense of progress.

And as you continue down this path, more doors will magically open for you.

It's worked for me, anyway. My ENTJ dad is certainly pleased enough, that's for sure.
I may have not understood your post completely. The majority of my goals are intelectual ones, and many doors are opening indeed, that's why I am looking for improvement, to make sure right person to deal with these new challenges.

·
Registered
427 Posts
You can't just want to have more ambition.
Ambition to do what?
What's your goal in life?

·
Registered
INTP
7,072 Posts
I may have not understood your post completely. The majority of my goals are intelectual ones, and many doors are opening indeed, that's why I am looking for improvement, to make sure right person to deal with these new challenges.
Right so you have intellectual goals.

So you have ambition.

/thread.

·
Registered
300 Posts
well if you don't have ambition its because you don't know what you want, or don't want it bad enough.
When you know what you want, you're decisive, you're determined, and you get it done.
You have to want it bad enough. No one can "teach" that...
ie. you want that promotion. its your goal, you want it really bad, you execute whatever it takes to achieve because you want it bad enough. Most people fail at being "ambitious" because they don't know what they want and they don't want it bad enough. ENTJs are quick and decisive. We know what we want and we're stubborn and tenacious enough to achieve it. We don't let it win, we don't back down when shit gets messy, we continue to execute. For other types road blocks and unexpected turns rattle them and make them feel failed. ENTJs are very rarely rattled by such things. We immediately make the decision on what to do next, and execute it. Done.

Organizational skills? Necessary to some extent. At some point organization skills can be more tiresome/draining/inefficient than efficient and effective... ie. one person at work prints something multiple times so it can be file with little notes, many notes filed renamed etc... the whole system of this "organization" is a waste of time, its inefficient. Write the stuff you need to do down, and execute. You don't have to be the most organized person to be successful, you just need to be Reasonably organized.

·
Chatterbox, MOTM August 2013
10,959 Posts
Hello guys!

I am the most stereotypical INTP ever. So, I am currently trying to be more focused, determined and etc. And, as a result, uncanny desires to conquer the world began to cross my mind. As those thoughts are so similar to yours, ENTJs, I decided to humbly ask if you, born competitors and leaders, have any advices to give to INTPs who are trying to master the art of ambition.

Do you? :happy:
Ambition isn't an art. It's a desire. You can't teach someone how to desire.

You've either got the fire in your belly, or you don't.

·
Registered
412 Posts
well if you don't have ambition its because you don't know what you want, or don't want it bad enough.
When you know what you want, you're decisive, you're determined, and you get it done.
You have to want it bad enough. No one can "teach" that...
ie. you want that promotion. its your goal, you want it really bad, you execute whatever it takes to achieve because you want it bad enough. Most people fail at being "ambitious" because they don't know what they want and they don't want it bad enough. ENTJs are quick and decisive. We know what we want and we're stubborn and tenacious enough to achieve it. We don't let it win, we don't back down when shit gets messy, we continue to execute. For other types road blocks and unexpected turns rattle them and make them feel failed. ENTJs are very rarely rattled by such things. We immediately make the decision on what to do next, and execute it. Done.

Organizational skills? Necessary to some extent. At some point organization skills can be more tiresome/draining/inefficient than efficient and effective... ie. one person at work prints something multiple times so it can be file with little notes, many notes filed renamed etc... the whole system of this "organization" is a waste of time, its inefficient. Write the stuff you need to do down, and execute. You don't have to be the most organized person to be successful, you just need to be Reasonably organized.
Agreed. But for INTP's organizational skills are usually non-existent. Planning is just something that is not natural for us.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Agreed. But for INTP's organizational skills are usually non-existent. Planning is just something that is not natural for us.
Interesting. I have not met many INTPs. So I cannot comment on that.

I would not say I am an extremely organized person or even "organized". but am marginally organized... enough to execute. Most things are kept in my mind. Planning I think is a strategic thing that just is natural for ENTJ. I want to get from Point A to B, this is what I need to do... type thing.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Interesting. I have not met many INTPs. So I cannot comment on that.

I would not say I am an extremely organized person or even "organized". but am marginally organized... enough to execute. Most things are kept in my mind. Planning I think is a strategic thing that just is natural for ENTJ. I want to get from Point A to B, this is what I need to do... type thing.
I think we're on the same page. The problem with INTPs is execution. I once started a business with 2 other INTPs, we had an amazing idea but it did not go anywhere as no one had the desire or know how to execute.

It wasn't until I started working full time that I understood the importance of "getting shit done." Sounds like common sense now, but back then, I only valued novel ideas & insights.

Now I value novel and actionable ideas & insights.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.