Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How common is it to see a ESTP in the military? I have been considering the Military for a year now... its been on my heart and mind... and It just wont leave! I just wanted to know the statistics, and if anyone is a ESTP and currently in the services... how do you like it? What are the pros and cons?

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
damn really? thats nuts... I talked to a recruiter and I cant join the military because one of my tattoos is too big. Its so dumb! thx for the article!

·
The Doer King
13,681 Posts
Nice article. I have often thought I would make a good soldier, but the reason i didn't join the military was because I didn't think I could take people ordering me around. If I don't respect the authority above me I have a tendency to either not listen or lash out.

That said if there was ever a draft, I would join up.

·
Registered
103 Posts
aww, thanks for reconstructing my link :)
I always went through phases that it'd be really cool to join the military at some level, but never applied. I finish university next year though, so maybe...

·
MOTM June 2010
2,507 Posts
I think SPs in general would make good soldiers or military personnel, except for one nagging problem. We do not want to feel we're hindered from freedom. Where other types may consider four to eight year commitments a stroll, four to eight months of believing our freedom is restricted would preclude us from making the choice. However in four to eight years you may realize nothing really occurred so I would encourage the OP to go for it if that is her interest. And oh by the way, if there are any Vets here or you have family members serving currently or in the past, I wish them a Happy Veterans Day and would like to say thanks for all the sacrifices they and their families made.

·
Registered
7,053 Posts
My boyfriend is going into the Navy, he has passed his tests, he is just waiting for the call. He swam through it. I don't want him to get the call though. :laughing:
I would personally never join, I couldn't be controlled.

·
Banned
4,265 Posts
If you can get all the jealous ESTJ's to leave you the fuck alone for not caring what anyone thinks of you, its great.

For whatever reason I'm the only goddam ESTP I know who's had any issues with it. Some ENTJ's have had problems with it as well.

·
Banned
4,265 Posts
I'm not going to give you my opinion because its very strongly negative. No I'm not still in the military, but I was. here are the pros and cons you should look out for:

Pros:
-Steady secure well paying job (Officers make about 2900/month + benefits which total to around $3500-$5000 starting out, enlisted, when first starting out make about 1700/month base pay + benefits.)
-Travel across the world
-Form close bonds with people

Cons:
-Tons of rules (designed by STJ's) to the point that you're going to forget a few of them every so often and get in deep trouble if you do.
-Your superiors have almost supreme control over your life (they can take away your leave if they choose to, if they don't like you they can find a way to get you in trouble and make your life hell.)
-your hours are technically 24/7 and they'll keep you that long if they are that big of a douche bag.
-intense strain on relationships.
-Time commitment

some things to note:
-Enneagram 3 and 6 heavy environment. (The 3's are notorious for highly competitive political games and backstabbing among peer officers, the 6's are constantly on the defensive looking over their shoulder for the backstabbers and other things that could go wrong. for me, this environment was not easy for me to deal with). Think about if this is something you can deal with.
-Intense emphasis is placed on conformity. If you stand out or are different from everyone else somehow, chances are you'll get attention you don't want.
-not a good place to be if you're a christian. Military bases are surrounded by debauchery, strip clubs, bars etc. Rates of single unwed mothers near military bases are usually significantly higher than most places in the world. Christian morals is not something most military members abide by.
-enlisted contracts are usually about 4 years long. officer contracts are usually about 5 years long unless you want to stay for longer and make it a career.
-I don't know about marine corp pilots, but Navy Pilots' lives are boring as hell. Sleep, wake up, study, go to a brief, get in an airplane and fly in circles for hours (unless you're really lucky you get to actually do something like, drop a bomb). The only thing they have going for them is the fact that they can tell women they're a pilot, they get to travel, and they make a hell of a lot of money ($70k+).
-Get VERY FAMILIAR with the phrase, "hurry up and wait."

Oh hell I'll give you my opinion anyway. It fucking sucks ass, it changes who you are, everyone is insecure and scared of getting in trouble constantly, suicide prevention posters are posted about every 20 feet down hallways in almost every building I've been in. I spend long hours sitting around doing fucking nothing at all, probably 50% of my life was doing fucking nothing for long periods of time. Standing out of your chair or telling jokes while supposed to be doing nothing can often get you in trouble. Don't ever let someone see you sitting in a chair comfortably, because that means you're not doing enough work and they'll find some bs work to give you like chipping paint. Most of the men I know are single, and anytime the ship pulls into port the 90% male ratio tends to make women in town rather scarce. When there is one attractive woman, every male swarms her. Most officers don't give a shit about their subordinates and would rather throw you under the bus than help you with your problems.

One last thing, I was about to become a Navy Pilot but was granted a miracle by god to leave this shithole of a service. Not only that but no one seems to know why they're out there fighting. Don't believe the bullshit reasons politicians pull out of their ass to make foreign war justifiable. 99.9% of the military has no idea why they're fighting.

I Hope that clarifies some things.

Frankly, if you're positive you're an ESTP, you're going to be harassed for not taking it seriously enough, being childish, having too much fun. If you're an officer you'll probably be one of the best and most considerate leaders, except you'll constantly be looked down upon for the previous reasons. This is ESTJ territory, if you really want to do military stuff, try becomming a navy seal or special forces, or join a private army.

·
Registered
52 Posts
ah, you're a squid. I was wanting to enlist into the USMC but, I have a weird situation so my chances in the USMC are slim and the recruiter used that against me. So the Army and Air force are more then willing to take me. I'm already fluent in a second language, So my Army recruiter thinks I might have a chance in Special Forces. ( or at least more that most ) I gotta get 300 PFT first.( I'm at a 250 range on my APFT) Where I sit right now is MOS's 11x Infantry / 19D CAV Scout or 68W Field Medic.

Im a split ESTP/J its 50 50... So yeah... maybe I might excel in the field.

I have been wanting to join the military for a long time. So when the time is right I'm going to Sign, unless something comes up.
My goal is getting into a Private Army, I know a guy in G4S. He does security in Afghan and gets paid well. But if/when it all goes bad I have a backup career as well.

I really do appreciate all that info. Im going to take that to heart and re read that a few times. I kinda feel like a prick for not having a long answer.

I would bet the clubs around military bases are well... different..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts