Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's nearing time for me to move away from my parents, and I'm considering that part of my future should be done militarily. With this, I have a few concerns.

None of my family recommends it(surprising?), but not for the reasons you think. I can be very spacey, constantly thinking about the future while staring down the barrel of an enemy AK. The fact that I wander a lot while I'm thinking could result in blowing up in a land mine or roadside bomb as well.

The fact is that I'd be a terrible grunt, never paying attention to what's around me. I'd be excellent at planning operations(under the tent) so to speak, but I could only do that if I made a career out of it, which I don't want to. I would really like to come out of the military with relevant experience working with computers so that I could come out and slowly become a software engineer.

Any INTJs with military experience and/or knowledge to share? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I did 8 1/2 years in the Air National Guard, and about half of that was spent on full time work, but the full time work didn't have much to do with my actual AF job (which was basically a grease monkey).

Personally, I don't regret doing it. The mechanical skills have been invaluable, and the training coordination (which is what my full time job was) was actually one of my favorite jobs ever...but that was more of a planning, thinking, office type job. I couldn't stand doing the grunt type work full time, and the few times I had to do it for a month was torture. Thankfully I didn't mind the guys I worked with, but the work itself was BORING.

My time was served just before all the Iraq/Afghanistan shit hit the fan. Right towards the end Afghanistan was an active mission, but I dodged that bullet and didn't end up having to go - shortly after that, my commitment ended and I got out.

Biggest issues with joining the military: a) You can't count on getting a job in anything you'll even remotely want. b) The work experience and it's relation to real-world experience is VERY subjective, and depends a lot on the particular job. c) You have no promises of where you'll be - recruiters will lie to you (or make things sound very different than the reality) in things like this and job selection, then once you're in, you'll find yourself stuck doing something you REALLY didn't want to do. d) Military experience can look good on a resume, but I think it's starting to lose some of it's value, but most jobs figure you've at least developed some kind of work ethic (even though some of the military people I knew were some of the laziest around, but they did at least learn to show up to work). e) At this time, being in the military is a rather volatile position...there's a good chance you'll be stuck in less-than-pleasant places for long periods of time. Unless you've been there, it's kinda hard to image just how miserable it really is. f) It's nothing like the movies, so any ideas you have about glory, excitement, fun, etc....ya, take all of that away now.

You obviously already know the pros, so I don't need to go there.

·
Registered
571 Posts
My dad is an INTJ and did 7 years in the Canadian Army. His description: shitty when your NCM (Non-Commissioned Member), ok when NCO (Non-Comissioned Officer) and great when CO (Comissioned Officer)

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
After I got my first degree I wanted to get into the Canadian Forces Air Command as a direct entry officer. All I had to do was the 8 month boot camp. I wanted to time it so by the time I was done, I could fly the F-18s for a bit but I knew we were going to get the F-35s and I have a huge crush on that plane. They lost my paperwork. Wonderful.

Anyway, I'm thinking back and I'm not too sure if I can handle dropping bombs on people. Sure it never happens and most of Canadian Air Command activities consist almost completely of patrols and training exercises but in the odd chance that something like the Kosovo War happens again, I'm not entirely sure how I would handle it. I guess I took way too many liberal arts and global politics classes.

I have full respect for military people though. I just wish sometimes that they didn't lose my paperwork. I would be glad to make half the money I could be making for a decent pension and a chance to fly.

Anyway, screw that. I'm robbing a bank and buying my own damn plane.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Which branch are you going into? I recommend trying for the Air Force if at all possible; you'll take flak from other branches because of how "easy" it is comparatively ("so you fly desks in the Chair Force? Neat..."), but you will gain lots of experience with civilians and contractors. This is especially true if you end up in a communications or cyber field. It isn't uncommon in the Air Force to do four years, get valuable training and experience during that time, leave and join a contracting company which pays twice the salary for the same job.

PM me if you have questions related to entering the Air Force. I'm not a recruiter, though, so that means two things: I do not know everything, but I will tell you and not lie about what I do know.

·
Registered
57 Posts
An INTJ in the army?

Thats like a scientist in the field as a soldier.

What a waste.

Leave the field work to the grunts

·
Registered
94 Posts
You would do fine in the Air Force. Don't go army. That will drive you insane.

Reactions: Paradox of Vigor

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have heard that INTJ's do well in Special Forces and Special Operations Forces. Currently, this is what I myself am pursuing; United States Marine Corps Reconnoissance. They also do very well in the Intelligence Military Operational Specialty. In this case, I would recommend either the Air Force or the Marine Corps.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I don't see any kind of Introvert having a good time within the army. Army brat here. It's an E society. An Estp, estj, society more specifically. I can understand seeing traits you'd like to improve, and thinking that the Army can be a means to do that, and perhaps even a right of passage to manhood. I see that a lot. And I don't see it working out a lot. I've seen regret a lot.

I agree with BXR. The Air Force might be a better fit. The father of a friend joined the Air Force and got into a position where he could apply his theoretical knowledge of physics practically and expand it. (I think it was trajectory calculation ... and radar technician... something like that, it's been too long). After his tour he was offered a job at a large software company, and likely he still works there, today. To him it was a valuable experience.

137 Posts
Ahem, INTJ and Strategic Level Military Intelligence Analyst here in the US Army. Straight from the horses mouth, I've got job security with a TS/SCI clearance so I can go and do contractor work after my active duty enlistment is up. If I reenlist for longer I can get a position as a military attache working in a US Embassy and do crazy shit that Special Forces dream of doing.
If you go Intel, then you get more opportunities in the Army than anywhere else in the other services. Marines don't do much, Navy doesn't do much either, and the Airforce just doesn't have an incredible amount of positions.
If you go with Airforce, you will sit in a useless job unless they task you for an Army mission (in which case, you really might as well have gone Army).
In Army Intel, you can go near damn anywhere on Active Duty. Sorry if I sound like a goddamn recruiter here.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
An INTJ in the army?

Thats like a scientist in the field as a soldier.

What a waste.

Leave the field work to the grunts
The real waste is having other people stereotype you and telling you what you should be doing with your life. I just find it in poor form for one person to say another person is wasting his life when said person is doing something that makes him happy. It's possible, you know. Honestly, this is the kind of arrogant talk that pisses people off about us. We could use less of it.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The real waste is having other people stereotype you and telling you what you should be doing with your life. I just find it in poor form for one person to say another person is wasting his life when said person is doing something that makes him happy. It's possible, you know. Honestly, this is the kind of arrogant talk that pisses people off about us. We could use less of it.
You're probably right but believe me I can endure. I am not bothered by stereotypes, because for one, they're partially true. I mean yes it's a stereotype but he does have a point. The vast majority of INTJs would make better scientists than soldiers. Thankfully, many military branches have engineering careers dealing with all kinds of math and science.

·
Registered
57 Posts

Uh. But the entire system is a gigantic stereotype, i just think its a waste for anyone with any form of intelligence to join the army.

I dont think anyone should waste they're lives serving (protecting) the very people who make the very country so crappy.

I think that if everyone put they're heads together, no matter how smart or stupid, i believe that a better future would be made.

Perhaps you have some people in the world who just enjoy the endless loop of war and destruction and hatred?

Im not stereotyping anything, and i never said you should or shouldn't be in the army.

I was just saying its a waste to go off and literally send yourself a ticket to death and slavery.

No offense to actual recruits, but all they do is give you a warped sense of reality and dignity to your oh so precious country.
I dont believe in such restraints, i will help out anyone who needs it, as long as they can help other people for good reason.

Senseless killing is still senseless no matter how its carried out.

What i also meant in a special way was that it is much more tactical to create equipment and run tests for it then to call off an incomplete product of war and then have it backfire on you.

A safe invention is still safe.

But im just looking at it strategically here.

I would much rather prefer giving orders then to have to be led into a loose war. In most cases, the smart lead the strong and the strong are lead by the smart.

Unless you have a high school mentality about jocks or something.

I dont think i was being stereotypical in any way in my comment, but i was just leaving my opinion, no need to read it in a 1 sided way.

So not even just how you think about things, if you have a gift i believe you should use it to your fullest to help the people you love or protect.

You wont be able to protect anyone with your remains being used as scientific experiments by the enemies technicians to create the ultimate super weapon...

·
Registered
335 Posts
I did a full term in the Air Force with a job that was a good fit. Hated it. It's a means to an end. Get your college money, resume experience, and get out. If you have other options then skip the military. I loved my work while in, but the people and environment are enough to drive any INTx crazy.

Picture this: lots and lots of rusted-out, broken down systems and every hand slapping at you to just leave it alone. That's pretty much the military in a nutshell for an INTJ.

·
Registered
449 Posts
The INTJ I knew very well was in the army reserve. I think he mainly used it for the purpose of getting college paid for. He didn't seem to like it but he was solid enough not to hate it, and he's the type who is too busy staring down the future to see the present as well. He'd talk about it in an annoyed fashion but he called the weekends that he had to go train "Going to play army."

1 - 20 of 30 Posts