Personality Cafe banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
No, many people cannot remember memories from ages 3 or age 4. Age 3 and age 4 are just as hard to remember like age 2. Many can remember age 2, but it may not be vivid like memories formed many years later. Sure age 2 might be just slightly more difficult, but age 5 is easier to remember than age 2-4, since age 5 is when you are actually required to start primary school, so you can keep better track of time and age that way. My first memories that I can accurately date were from age two. I have only memory from age 4 I can accurately date, but none from age 3 I can accurately date, except I do have one memory I can accurately date the year I turned three, but it was like four months before my third birthday. It is because unlike the year I turned two and the year I turned five, the year I turned three, and the year I turned four were all dead years for our family. No one in our family knows when I was in preschool, how old I was, or how long I was in it, but I do remember being in it.
It’s not really a matter of opinion - most people will typically get their first vague memories around age 3.

·
Registered
910 Posts
It’s not really a matter of opinion - most people will typically get their first vague memories around age 3.
It is an opinion if someone says many cannot remember age 2. We cant really know that. Its really by age 8 when most people get their first memories, but age 5 is the ideal age. Ages 2-4 should have vague memories too.

·
Banned
102 Posts
1977-1985 is considered Xennial. I really don't think people born in 1987 have Gen X traits because they don't remember the 80s at all. People who have Gen X traits would have to be old enough to get nostalgia from 80s media, potentially confuse things from the 70s-80s because of being young children exposed to mixed media from both decades via their parents (I do this, I have only recently learned to decipher that "this horror movie is not actually 80s throw-back, it is 70s throw-back, because I was watching 70s/early 80s films on VHS as recently as the early 90s and thinking they were from the 80s")...and more importantly be able to identify changes in cultural politics such as Reagan-Gorbachev talks, the end of the Cold War/Fall of the Berlin Wall, possibly have vague memories about Iran Contra, Reagan's Star Wars, 1000 Points of Light, the transition of radio to corporatization, losing small business to corporate domination, and notice how weirdly strong and rigid gender stereotypes were in their early childhoods versus their teens or early 20s.

Nobody born after 1985 would really be able to do that, even if they were a bright toddler. You almost have to have been school age by 1990 to remember any of this with any reliable clarity or to have strong feelings about it. It would actually be strongest in people born between 1977 and 1982 which might be why some people don't start Gen Y until 82. Like I actually remember having roller skates, and watching Saturday morning cartoons, and seeing commercials where all females were almost exclusively wearing dresses or pink or lace or pantyhose or heels in my early childhood. I also remember the fall of the Berlin Wall, and people around my age tend to remember something along those lines, like Perestroika, even if they were kids. These are the defining Global Events of Gen X - the End of the Cold War. The difference being that core Gen X would have grown up still having fears surrounding the Cold War before this happened, while Xennials or Early Y would view these as surprising events that were probably framed optimistically and proof that capitalism was making the world a better place. One of the defining features of Gen Y/Millennials is our optimism and hope, where as Gen X was more cynical and Gen Z is already bitter about climate change.

·
Banned
102 Posts
It is an opinion if someone says many cannot remember age 2. We cant really know that. Its really by age 8 when most people get their first memories, but age 5 is the ideal age. Ages 2-4 should have vague memories too.
There's zero scientific evidence for what you're saying, in fact a psychologist might consider a child who had no memories before age 8 to be mentally ill or traumatized. I know this because one of my sisters claims this and she is definitely disturbed, and it was A Thing in my family, that my sister claimed to have no memories before age 8.

I pretty clearly remember being 3-4. YMMV but I've noticed in this sub-forum your posts have a weird obsession with very small differences in age, or make declarative statements about age which isn't realistic.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Like I actually remember having roller skates, One of the defining features of Gen Y/Millennials is our optimism and hope, where as Gen X was more cynical and Gen Z is already bitter about climate change.
Roller skates are still being made to this day (Though I'll admit, it's hard to find a kid wearing some now, let alone someone my age). I think everyone is slowly getting bitter about climate change now.

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
@ChocStar 's spot-on (but I thought Xennial was 1977-83 because Star Wars). I was born in 1980, was shaped by the Cold War, and I'm a major nostalgia addict. I watch pretty much all the "Usual Suspects" on YouTube, including but not limited to The Angry Video Game Nerd and The Nostalgia Critic. James Rolfe was born in 1980 and Doug Walker in '81. Then there's Andre Meadows of Black Nerd Comedy who was born in 1978, so he's closer to my big bro's age (who was born in '77).

Do you...like...VHS-era anime? How about '80s B-movies? They don't make 'em like they used to.

·
Registered
910 Posts
There's zero scientific evidence for what you're saying, in fact a psychologist might consider a child who had no memories before age 8 to be mentally ill or traumatized. I know this because one of my sisters claims this and she is definitely disturbed, and it was A Thing in my family, that my sister claimed to have no memories before age 8.

I pretty clearly remember being 3-4. YMMV but I've noticed in this sub-forum your posts have a weird obsession with very small differences in age, or make declarative statements about age which isn't realistic.
Just cause you cant remember being 2 doesnt mean others can. You sound as if everyone has their first memory at age 3. That is not true at all. Everyone in my family can remember being 2. I actually know people who can remember being 1, but that is a stretch, though I am not going to say they cant just cause I cant remember being 1. That is selfish.

·
Registered
910 Posts
1977-1985 is considered Xennial. I really don't think people born in 1987 have Gen X traits because they don't remember the 80s at all. People who have Gen X traits would have to be old enough to get nostalgia from 80s media, potentially confuse things from the 70s-80s because of being young children exposed to mixed media from both decades via their parents (I do this, I have only recently learned to decipher that "this horror movie is not actually 80s throw-back, it is 70s throw-back, because I was watching 70s/early 80s films on VHS as recently as the early 90s and thinking they were from the 80s")...and more importantly be able to identify changes in cultural politics such as Reagan-Gorbachev talks, the end of the Cold War/Fall of the Berlin Wall, possibly have vague memories about Iran Contra, Reagan's Star Wars, 1000 Points of Light, the transition of radio to corporatization, losing small business to corporate domination, and notice how weirdly strong and rigid gender stereotypes were in their early childhoods versus their teens or early 20s.

Nobody born after 1985 would really be able to do that, even if they were a bright toddler. You almost have to have been school age by 1990 to remember any of this with any reliable clarity or to have strong feelings about it. It would actually be strongest in people born between 1977 and 1982 which might be why some people don't start Gen Y until 82. Like I actually remember having roller skates, and watching Saturday morning cartoons, and seeing commercials where all females were almost exclusively wearing dresses or pink or lace or pantyhose or heels in my early childhood. I also remember the fall of the Berlin Wall, and people around my age tend to remember something along those lines, like Perestroika, even if they were kids. These are the defining Global Events of Gen X - the End of the Cold War. The difference being that core Gen X would have grown up still having fears surrounding the Cold War before this happened, while Xennials or Early Y would view these as surprising events that were probably framed optimistically and proof that capitalism was making the world a better place. One of the defining features of Gen Y/Millennials is our optimism and hope, where as Gen X was more cynical and Gen Z is already bitter about climate change.
1986 and 1987 could have vague memories of the 80s, though 1984 would be the last to have vivid memories of the 80s being that they started primary in the 80s unlike the second half of the decade.

·
Registered
543 Posts
1986 and 1987 could have vague memories of the 80s, though 1984 would be the last to have vivid memories of the 80s being that they started primary in the 80s unlike the second half of the decade.
if you say 1980 and 1981 are pretty look alike, then you have to agree with what ChocStar stated regarding 1977-1985 or 1977-1983 aka star wars born babies and It would actually be strongest in people born between 1977 and 1982 which might be why some people don't start Gen Y or Millennials until 82. Like I actually remember having roller skates, and watching Saturday morning cartoons, and seeing commercials where all females were almost exclusively wearing dresses or pink or lace or pantyhose or heels in my early childhood. I also remember the fall of the Berlin Wall, and people around my age tend to remember something along those lines, like Perestroika, even if they were kids. These are the defining Global Events of Gen X - the End of the Cold War. The difference being that core Gen X would have grown up still having fears surrounding the Cold War before this happened, while Xennials or Early Y would view these as surprising events that were probably framed optimistically and proof that capitalism was making the world a better place. One of the defining features of Gen Y/Millennials is our optimism and hope, whereas Gen X was more cynical and Gen Z is already bitter about climate change.

·
Registered
910 Posts
if you say 1980 and 1981 are pretty look alike, then you have to agree with what ChocStar stated regarding 1977-1985 or 1977-1983 aka star wars born babies and It would actually be strongest in people born between 1977 and 1982 which might be why some people don't start Gen Y or Millennials until 82. Like I actually remember having roller skates, and watching Saturday morning cartoons, and seeing commercials where all females were almost exclusively wearing dresses or pink or lace or pantyhose or heels in my early childhood. I also remember the fall of the Berlin Wall, and people around my age tend to remember something along those lines, like Perestroika, even if they were kids. These are the defining Global Events of Gen X - the End of the Cold War. The difference being that core Gen X would have grown up still having fears surrounding the Cold War before this happened, while Xennials or Early Y would view these as surprising events that were probably framed optimistically and proof that capitalism was making the world a better place. One of the defining features of Gen Y/Millennials is our optimism and hope, whereas Gen X was more cynical and Gen Z is already bitter about climate change.
I consider 1980-1983 as xennial despite I see them all as millennials rather than X due to being teenagers after Y2K along with being born after the world's first cellular network launch in 1979. I see nothing millennial about 1977-1979 since they were able to graduate college before 9/11 and also were able to start K-12 before cell phones began to be used by the general public in 1984, which is why I see nothing xennial about 1984 and 1985. 1980-1983 were ideally in college during 9/11.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yes, that is true for me. 81 and I have a lot of Gen X qualities especially since my brother is 6 years older than me. But I have all the technological skills of a Gen Y minus the participation awards.

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Also it seems weird to separate 1980 and 1981. They are both pretty alike. 1980 and 1981 should be part of the same generation whether X or Y. Both were early 80s, were teenagers in the early 2000s, and graduated high school in the late 90s.
1980 was still technically the '70s. Decades go from 1 to 10, not 0 to 9. Dana Scully would back me up on that.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
I remember recording VHS tapes of Sailor Moon. My friends and I used to do our hair like Chung Li. We even created some dance moves to Mortal Kombat.

I definitely identify with being a Xennial. There were some really amazing shows of the 80s that were so nostalgic of the 70s- The Wonder Years, Mary Tyler Moore Show, Taxi, WKRP Cincinnatii.

... and also can relate to what ChocStar says about having memories by age 2. I remember the rains, especially. Rainy weather in SoCal... and the smell of strawberry fields everywhere, so hypnotic!!

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
@strawberryLola I remember most of that. Never got into Small Wonder, but Knight Rider was my jam when I was an '80s kid in the '80s. As for VHS-era anime, I never got into Sailor Moon, but I taped some great anime movies off the Sci-Fi Channel back when they still spelled their name right in the mid '90s. I think the first anime I ever watched was 'The Lost Cities of Gold' in the '80s, but at the time, I didn't know what anime was. Just thought it was a cartoon with a weird style. Didn't become a hardcore weeb til I saw Vampire Hunter D in 1992. It was the 1992 English dub of the original movie from 1985. Otaku since '92!

Do you...like...Trigun?

I consider 1980-1983 as xennial despite I see them all as millennials rather than X due to being teenagers after Y2K along with being born after the world's first cellular network launch in 1979. I see nothing millennial about 1977-1979 since they were able to graduate college before 9/11 and also were able to start K-12 before cell phones began to be used by the general public in 1984, which is why I see nothing xennial about 1984 and 1985. 1980-1983 were ideally in college during 9/11.
I was born in 1980, graduated from high school in 1998, started college later that year, and earned my degree in 1999. Accelerated courses were all the rage back then. As for the cellphone thing, I was using a landline phone all the way up til somewhere in the neighborhood of 2004(ish).

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Judson, I still use a landline. :p

Haven’t seen Trigun, but I still remember when animation in general was shipped overseas to be reproduced in South Korea. This became sort of problematic for the animation in the industry (culturally-wise since there is a certain style to animation through the coloaration and gestures of anime that simply could not be reproduced outside of the context of U.S. society). Learned about that fact from art school.

I never fully got into anime, but liked Sailor Moon, and tremendously missed Saturday Morning cartoons.

Remember how awesome it was to run in our pjs only to wake up to 4 hours of amazing cartoon??

There’s something about hand drawn cartoons that even 3-D animations of today can’t quite hit the mark!! 80s babies were spoiled by the talent of Gen X and boomer creatives. They sincerely had amazing conceptual artwork and vision!

21 - 36 of 36 Posts