Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this interesting article on how Millennials (Whom I define as those aged 21-38 now) have become a very lonely generation, likely due to being shaped by social media. Having been lonely all my life (Aspergers), I sadly relate to this. My question to you is what do you think is a solution to our worldwide loneliness epidemic and what have you personally done to combat it?

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/oct/08/millennials-social-media-loneliness-epidemic

·
Registered
910 Posts
Found this interesting article on how Millennials (Whom I define as those aged 21-38 now) have become a very lonely generation, likely due to being shaped by social media. Having been lonely all my life (Aspergers), I sadly relate to this. My question to you is what do you think is a solution to our worldwide loneliness epidemic and what have you personally done to combat it?

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/oct/08/millennials-social-media-loneliness-epidemic
We prefer the term Gen Y, though when I think of millennials, people born from 1983-1989 come to mind, as age wise, they are young adults, but they act like kids. They overuse social media, but they are not lonely as I always see them in a restaurant with either their boyfriend or girlfriend, or a couple of friends. Gen Y born in 1980-1982, I see them with their husband or wife along with two kids born in the 2010s.

·
Registered
910 Posts

We prefer the term Gen Y, though when I think of millennials, people born from 1983-1989 come to mind, as age wise, they are young adults, but they act like kids. They overuse social media, but they are not lonely as I always see them in a restaurant with either their boyfriend or girlfriend, or a couple of friends. Gen Y born in 1980-1982, I see them with their husband or wife along with two kids born in the 2010s.
To answer your question, I would say get rid of the World Wide Web, as that is what caused all this, and maybe we can replace that with alexa or google home so people can just use the internet for finding useful information and not use social media and get stupidly affected by what idiots online say or do.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To answer your question, I would say get rid of the World Wide Web, as that is what caused all this, and maybe we can replace that with alexa or google home so people can just use the internet for finding useful information and not use social media and get stupidly affected by what idiots online say or do.
I might argue there are 2 big factors that contribute to our loneliness, which will take decades to undo, if ever:

1) The design of American cities. As every American knows, our cities have been designed around cars since the end of World War II. We literally drive everywhere we go, and we do it all alone. The basic daily routine is this: You jump in the car and drive to a parking lot and into your office where you work on a computer for 6-7 hours, then jump back in the car, pick up cheap processed food at the drive thru from a drone worker who seems very happy to be there (sarcasm), then you arrive back in your garage where your car lives, you watch some TV and then go to bed. The point I'm trying to make is the average American can literally go their whole lives without having to speak to anyone outside their immediate family. Interaction with other humans has literally been engineered out of our lives. The isolation of living in massive homes that all look the same doesn't help either.

2) Mass shootings. In this age where a mass shooting can happen anywhere, anytime, and be done by anyone, nowhere feels safe anymore. Thanks to inaction from Congress, there is only one option for people like me who are worried about their own personal safety and don't want to get shot: Retreat from the public square. Unlike other Western countries, we are unable to safely get together in public outings because they've been taken over by the men with rifles. We can't even interact with one another anymore because if one gets offended, they pull a gun and the other person is dead. People complain about Gens Y and Z spending "too much time on screens" and "not going out," when in reality we really have no choice due to being basically locked in our homes.

In a nutshell, it looks like we're in for a sad and lonely future.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I might argue there are 2 big factors that contribute to our loneliness, which will take decades to undo, if ever:

1) The design of American cities. As every American knows, our cities have been designed around cars since the end of World War II. We literally drive everywhere we go, and we do it all alone. The basic daily routine is this: You jump in the car and drive to a parking lot and into your office where you work on a computer for 6-7 hours, then jump back in the car, pick up cheap processed food at the drive thru from a drone worker who seems very happy to be there (sarcasm), then you arrive back in your garage where your car lives, you watch some TV and then go to bed. The point I'm trying to make is the average American can literally go their whole lives without having to speak to anyone outside their immediate family. Interaction with other humans has literally been engineered out of our lives. The isolation of living in massive homes that all look the same doesn't help either.

2) Mass shootings. In this age where a mass shooting can happen anywhere, anytime, and be done by anyone, nowhere feels safe anymore. Thanks to inaction from Congress, there is only one option for people like me who are worried about their own personal safety and don't want to get shot: Retreat from the public square. Unlike other Western countries, we are unable to safely get together in public outings because they've been taken over by the men with rifles. We can't even interact with one another anymore because if one gets offended, they pull a gun and the other person is dead. People complain about Gens Y and Z spending "too much time on screens" and "not going out," when in reality we really have no choice due to being basically locked in our homes.

In a nutshell, it looks like we're in for a sad and lonely future.
Technically, when working, we are actually forced to talk to people outside our family whether we like it or not. Also, I hate how we are forced to use the internet nowadays, when as a kid in elementary school, I never even imagined such a thing ever existed, and once I first used it, a lot of times, we were not allowed to do. I think basically people should walk more cause cars cause pollution, and I am against public transportation, especially metros and subways, as lots of homeless people get on those and no security is present in these trains. There is no gun control in many countries, but if you do bring a gun with you to work, even for self defense, even if no gun control in the country, the boss will just fire you on the spot due to being a threat to the workplace. Society sucks now. This is why many people commit suicide. It is obviously not for attention, as its not like the person who killed itself is going to see people mourn its death, but its cause the person cant live in this screwed up world any longer.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I think millennials born from 1983-1994 are the ones with the most life problems out of all the generations alive right now.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Gen Y is 1982 - 1992. 1993 - 1995 were transitional. 1996 on is Gen Z.

Reasoning: Each generation is defined by specific events, in the case of Millennials I would argue they were 9/11, the Iraq War and Recession at the end of it all. If you were born after 1992 you would have been too young to have entered the workforce or college before the Recession.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Gen Y is 1982 - 1992. 1993 - 1995 were transitional. 1996 on is Gen Z.

Reasoning: Each generation is defined by specific events, in the case of Millennials I would argue they were 9/11, the Iraq War and Recession at the end of it all. If you were born after 1992 you would have been too young to have entered the workforce or college before the Recession.
Um 1995-1999 is transitional. If you were born after 1994, you would have been in high school only after the recession started, and if you were born after 1999, you wouldnt have been in preschool until after 9/11.

·
Electronica Wizard
6,670 Posts
I don't consider myself a technophobe, but I don't necessarily surround my entire existence upon it.

I don't see myself as lonely. In fact I'm always surrounded with people. However, one can sometimes be lonely in a crowd. It's not so much as how many people you talk to in this world than how much you could relate to those who are already within your immediate vicinity. Have you ever loved people you could never find anything to relate with? That is true loneliness.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Or even better, get rid of the internet and smartphones for good.
have you tried the "no surf trend"?

i havent really gone cold turkey on the internet but ive tried to minimize my use of it, and i have to admit that i do feel better and have more of an objective outlook on things when i dont seek out information on forums for example

altough i dont know if i could live without youtube

·
Banned
3,147 Posts
Technology isn't the problem but rather human problems that are rooted in the decades fallowing two world wars and unrivaled social upheaval particularly with the boomer generation that divorced itself from traditional values.

Reactions: Notus Asphodelus

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

i havent really gone cold turkey on the internet but ive tried to minimize my use of it, and i have to admit that i do feel better and have more of an objective outlook on things when i dont seek out information on forums for example

That would be awfully challenging for me. The Internet became fully commercialized with the release of IE before I was born, so I've never lived without it. The closest I've ever come to an Internet-free lifestyle was my 2000s childhood, when we had home Internet but no mobile Internet.

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
My question to you is what do you think is a solution to our worldwide loneliness epidemic
I don't think there is a worldwide loneliness epidemic.
and what have you personally done to combat it?
I haven't done anything except off-handedly discourage a few anonymous people from socializing online a lot.

The only conclusive, non-individualized solution I see is for people to return to more socially cohesive forms of society. This is one of the reasons why I promote anti-civ anarchy, but there are gradations of individual behavior and societal social cohesion that could help dispel loneliness, such as not moving far away for college or jobs, being less picky with dates and friends, smaller schools/classes, supporting small, local businesses instead of corporations, etc.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Or even better, get rid of the internet and smartphones for good.

To be honest, I think I could. I mean I was 8 when it, Google Video, and yahoo view came out, so viral videos were at a paucity before I reached that age. Yeah, I dont rely on forums for answers, cause many people are biased and love putting others down.

·
Registered
910 Posts

That would be awfully challenging for me. The Internet became fully commercialized with the release of IE before I was born, so I've never lived without it. The closest I've ever come to an Internet-free lifestyle was my 2000s childhood, when we had home Internet but no mobile Internet.
To be honest, if anyone right now is under 50, no one has actually lived before the internet existed. However, if I wasnt forced to use the internet for work and stuff, I could actually live without, as I didnt even know such a thing existed before third grade, probably cause it wasnt common to have at home before I started third grade.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
To be honest, if anyone right now is under 50, no one has actually lived before the internet existed. However, if I wasnt forced to use the internet for work and stuff, I could actually live without, as I didnt even know such a thing existed before third grade, probably cause it wasnt common to have at home before I started third grade.
Another thing: My workplace has smartphones integrated into procedures we do, so I officially can't live without mine.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Another thing: My workplace has smartphones integrated into procedures we do, so I officially can't live without mine.
To be honest, I am forced to use my iphone during the weekdays as the wifi where I am at during the weekdays never works on my laptop, so I end up having to use my hotspot.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I don't think there is a worldwide loneliness epidemic. I haven't done anything except off-handedly discourage a few anonymous people from socializing online a lot.

The only conclusive, non-individualized solution I see is for people to return to more socially cohesive forms of society. This is one of the reasons why I promote anti-civ anarchy, but there are gradations of individual behavior and societal social cohesion that could help dispel loneliness, such as not moving far away for college or jobs, being less picky with dates and friends, smaller schools/classes, supporting small, local businesses instead of corporations, etc.
To give a US perspective: An emphasis on high productivity, efficiency and 'busy-ness' to provide social value over genuine connection with others seems to factor, as well, coupled with (economically driven) encouragement to rely more on computer technology/machines for previously direct, interpersonal activities.

Of course, underlying all this is a sense of mistrust, fueled in part by a practice of shifting liability that controls the lives of everyone within this system of governance - primarily through an institutional reliance on insurance and designated autocratic authorities to mediate, take (away) responsibility, and direct behavior between individuals/groups. The widespread adoption of the internet/social media as a preferred means of communication I believe is predicated on this fear of liability.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts