Personality Cafe banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I live in a community with bad mass transportation, and it has really affected my life in a negative way. It is hard for me to get around as there is only so far that I can walk (and I can walk pretty far). All we need to do is to enhance security, not eliminate a necessary means of transportation for people who either can't afford cars or who have disabilities that should prevent them from driving (do you really want a blind person to drive a car?). Having a car culture is a bad thing and we need good 21st entury mass transportation that is effective, clean, and safe to get people out of their cars.
Adding security would further push people away from public transportation because it sends the message that the system/area isn't safe. And good luck trying to pry Americans (By far the most individualistic people on Earth) out of their vehicles, especially where our entire lifestyles revolve around them.

·
queen of glitter gnomes
10,501 Posts
Adding security would further push people away from public transportation because it sends the message that the system/area isn't safe. And good luck trying to pry Americans (By far the most individualistic people on Earth) out of their vehicles, especially where our entire lifestyles revolve around them.

You always want some level of security on public transportation to facilitate responses to medical emergencies, should they occur. And cars are the least efficient method of transporting people, so people should have better options.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I live in a community with bad mass transportation, and it has really affected my life in a negative way. It is hard for me to get around as there is only so far that I can walk (and I can walk pretty far). All we need to do is to enhance security, not eliminate a necessary means of transportation for people who either can't afford cars or who have disabilities that should prevent them from driving (do you really want a blind person to drive a car?). Having a car culture is a bad thing and we need good 21st entury mass transportation that is effective, clean, and safe to get people out of their cars.
Why have public transportation in the first place? People should stick to walking. It is free, you get free exercise, fresh air, and best of all, you are not polluting the environment, and this will get rid of a bunch of crimes as well as no more car accidents.

·
Registered
910 Posts
If there is no security, that would make it even more dangerous. At least with security, no one will try to commit crimes, and even if they do, the security will take care of it. Public transportation need security. BART, subway trains, and metros need it since homeless people board those and they could be criminally insane.

·
queen of glitter gnomes
10,501 Posts
Why have public transportation in the first place? People should stick to walking. It is free, you get free exercise, fresh air, and best of all, you are not polluting the environment, and this will get rid of a bunch of crimes as well as no more car accidents.
Everything is spread out too far. If we had walkable communities, we would have less need of public transportation.

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
@Willtip98 @Glenda Gnome Starr

How about a great invention called,
THE BICYCLE!!

Okay... I know it might not be easy for everyone to ride, but almost everyone in France rides around on bicycles or walks instead of using a car. Well in Paris anyway, as far as I know.

I want to ride my bicycle, I want to ride my bike, I want to ride my bicycle I want to ride it where I like!

Ohh I #$%&ing love my biiicyccllleeee.

(I really need to go to sleep.)

Reactions: Glenda Gnome Starr

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
I don't feel lonely. I can feel alone at times, but being alone isn't bad. I'd rather be alone than to blend in with a crowd I don't share values with.

I think the feelings of not fitting in mostly relates to the fact that Millenials grew up in a generation where we actually used to play face-to-face together with our friends, we used to have constant house parties, block parties, beach bonfires, and group outtings all of the time. And now, no one can really afford that. And when we weren't partying or studying together in large groups, we either wrote letters to each other or prank called each other on the actual dial-up phones with personalized answering machine messages.

There was a sense of self-expression that's missing in this day and age with social media creating mass conformity. Back then, it was cool to "be you." No one cared. No one laughed, and if they did, they'd be sure to have a gang of other kids who weren't afraid to put bullies into their place.

Back then being "real" meant you were yourself. Whenever someone referred to a person being "cool" that meant that the person you knew wasn't a two-faced pretentious backstabber/dweeb (douschebag). Being cool meant that you were a chill person who could be counted on- that you were a person of your word and honor. Back then it was cool to have a sense of humor and tell your mama jokes (urban comedy humor inspired by In Living Color). Back then, people were courageous. People were born to be free...

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
To answer your question, I would say get rid of the World Wide Web, as that is what caused all this, and maybe we can replace that with alexa or google home so people can just use the internet for finding useful information and not use social media and get stupidly affected by what idiots online say or do.
This is actually a terrible idea. Lots of disabled people and people in small, dispersed, marginalized communities (such as gay men and lesbians) benefit greatly from being able to find community online because those communities don't exist offline or we can't access them offline.

Hell, sometimes even people with relatively unusual hobbies like mountain biking benefit from communities of people who share those hobbies.

I do think the online environment would be better without social media, but getting rid of stuff like forums doesn't seem like an improvement to me.

There's also a wealth of freely available information online, which is great for those of us who cannot afford books or college tuition.

Some people freelance via the Internet. Why disrupt their income? Not everyone can get or keep a typical job.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I think one of the reasons people are lonely is that organizations and clubs are dying off and most of their members are boomers who are either aging out or dying. Not many younger people become shriners or join rotary club. Not many people join sports leagues either. There was a book written about this in 2000 called Bowling Alone.

·
Registered
♂️ INFJ 5w4 // IEI-Ni
2,951 Posts
There's a number of factors that affect different people in their own unique way.

For me, naturally I'm very introverted, but even still I don't have the money for all that socialite stuff.
I stopped even looking for a girlfriend when I realized that without appropriate resources one can't maintain a long-term relationship, let alone garner much attraction for you to begin one.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts