Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
INFJ
5,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To expand. I hear millennials complain a lot about how Boomers came of age in the most booming economy and left very little for Millennials to eke out a good life on. Whether or not those claims are entirely true, I don't want get into. But, like pretty much all Gen Y/Millennials, I grew up in the 80's, and our generation is also known as the echo boom, because it was when the Boomers, the demographic that marketers and media moguls have followed from teenagehood on, were settling down and having families, and, in the 80's didn't just feel like EVERYTHING was made either for kids or with kids in mind?
I mean what did we have?: we had...
For boys:
Nintendo, free form legos, Kinex, hotwheels that were actually made pretty well, Sega, He Man, Really cool star wars toys people wanted to buy, G.I. Joe, WrestleMania, Really good comic books, comic book stores, Cracked and Mad and they were actually funny, Indiana Jones, Transformers, Thundercats, and the list goes on...
For girls:
Rainbow Brite, Strawberry shortcake, She-ra, Cherry merry muffin, Lady Lovelilocks, Care Bears(though a lot of boys liked this too, let's be honest), really good Barbie dolls, Cool looking My LittlePony dolls, Old School My Little Pony Cartoons which didn't hold your hand and gripped you with a sense of danger...etc.
And for either gender you had:
TGIF, ABC's family friendly line up with Family Matters, Perfect Strangers, Full House, Dinosaurs and a slew of kid friendly shows for the whole family to watch, Land of the Lost, Summer blockbusters that had the whole family in mind, hypercolor shirts, Really great original toys in cereal boxes (I remember when we could collect parts to make a little panflute. It was glorious!), video game arcades, etc etc

But what do we have for kids now???
We have the same toys as the 80's, and we have more in addition that,but I'm not entirely convinced that more is better.

You have great kids video games like the first two Paper Marios, and the Kirby games which are GREAT for creating memories, along side so much jaded, nihilisitc and blatantly violent video games that many kids are already playing and telling the other kids about. Not saying they shouldn't exist. But, while, when we were kids, it was clear most video games were made with kids in mind, it now feels like most video games are made specifically for adults. And arcades are pretty much dead.

When it comes to cartoons, it just one crappy Cal-arts design after another wrapped around some "conceptual" post modern meaningless garbage, that is if it's not some shell to push an ideology, like She-ra and pushing it's pro lgbt+ agenda. I don't have anything against the lgbt, but I remember a time when cartoons didn't even explore the concept of sexuality. As a child who, again was sexually abused, having sexuality free shows for kids was actually a welcome form of escapism that helped me de-stress.

Comic books are absolute garbage, and are only good for being replacement toilet paper, again, just being empty shells for to promote propaganda. And comic book shops are pretty much dead.

And the worst part, is those who market to families and kids no longer give a crap about childhood innocence. It's almost like groups of people are trying to destroy innocence. I was molested as a child, and I feel like I had more innocence in a lot of ways than what kids get exposed to today, in some ways. It's really sad. Children are not allowed to be children. We could be children and think of kid things, and color innocent little coloring books,and play pretend that revolved around fictional stories that had substance and perpetuated archetypes.

The millennials were granted a glorious childhood by so many different industries, but once the Gen-Xer's and first wave Millennials took over, they took an industry that instilled a sense of wonder into it's audience and turned it into an empty shell of post modernist nihilism.

Reactions: strawberryLola

·
Beer Guardian
ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE Honorary INTJ
15,369 Posts
Well, I'm a GenXer and I don't think that's how it works.

Reactions: dulcinea

·
Registered
ENFP
4,195 Posts
The millennials were granted a glorious childhood by so many different industries, but once the Gen-Xer's and first wave Millennials took over, they took an industry that instilled a sense of wonder into it's audience and turned it into an empty shell of post modernist nihilism.
I see what you mean, especially with dolls (like the Bratz) marketed to young children:

We grew up in a generation where life was still somewhat innocent. I share a similar experience as you did. Exposing kids with toys that sexualize them takes away their youth at an early age. We also see the mass production of artwork that seems cliched, meaningless, and devoid of personal expression.

Although we did enjoy some amazing memories, those were some of the times when I remember life was tough for a lot of families trying to scrape by financially. It was one of the hardest times in history- and based on my own personal experiences just observing the communities around me- a lot of my friends, family, and the neighborhoods I grew up in never fully recovered. But, you're right, at least we had a chance to enjoy those moments as dreamers. At least, that's how I perceive our generation. And having those nostalgic memories does help us to cope with a sense of loss and disillusionment of what could have been.

·
Registered
INFJ
5,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I'm a GenXer and I don't think that's how it works.
You're right. It's a bit silly now that I've had time to really think on my rant haha

·
Beer Guardian
ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE Honorary INTJ
15,369 Posts
You're right. It's a bit silly now that I've had time to really think on my rant haha
I'm not opposed to ranting. Some of my best ideas started as a vent or rant. I think there are some aspects of yours that may be valid, if further refined. Look carefully for the gems in there. See if you can't follow them back to their source.

Reactions: dulcinea
1 - 5 of 5 Posts