Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you hack your brain and create trigger points eg. if this, then that, else meh.

What effects does this have?

Do you create your environment / login accounts to replicate your "mind mood" and encourage particular thought streams / mind tracks?

Reactions: myjazz

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have to an extent. My mind definitely still has some programming from boot camp ~5 years ago. Some fireworks went off near my house close to July 4th of this year. It was about 4 bangs from "black cats?" I immediately grabbed a couch cushion for my head and knocked over an entire entertainment system taking cover. All of this happened in about one second and the next I started laughing because I knew that it was ok. In fact, I can't think of any situation of mind-programming that doesn't come from classical conditioning of some kind.

I've also noticed how certain music can affect the mind but not nearly as strong.

This is the most extreme example but I'm sure there are more.

·
King of Seduction
ENTJ
7,406 Posts
Do you hack your brain and create trigger points eg. if this, then that, else meh.

What effects does this have?

Do you create your environment / login accounts to replicate your "mind mood" and encourage particular thought streams / mind tracks?
When the mash song comes on I change the channel.
:D

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
It started as a joke, but I now mutter "I'm a cat." whenever something inane is making me furious. I'll catch myself mid-sentence about to insult the other or tell them to S T F U, and I turn away from them and say this.

I immediately think "What a dumb thing to say. This has nothing to with anything." and I'm calm again, back in bemused viewer mode.

I'm well on my way to cutting out the cat and not caring 24/7.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
It started as a joke, but I now mutter "I'm a cat." whenever something inane is making me furious. I'll catch myself mid-sentence about to insult the other or tell them to S T F U, and I turn away from them and say this.

I immediately think "What a dumb thing to say. This has nothing to with anything." and I'm calm again, back in bemused viewer mode.

I'm well on my way to cutting out the cat and not caring 24/7.
I think I'm going to borrow that.

·
Banned
1,798 Posts
When I am aware than I am euphoric and happy I remember the last time I was depressed and sad to bring down the feeling. When I am depressed and sad I think about the last time I was euphoric and happy to uplift my mood. Doing this tends to balance out my moods and make the up and down swings of emotional life a little bit easier. It cuts out the variance in experiencing emotions, allowing one to maintain the middle ground while staying away from the extremes. I believe there is long term benefit for this.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
When I am aware than I am euphoric and happy I remember the last time I was depressed and sad to bring down the feeling. When I am depressed and sad I think about the last time I was euphoric and happy to uplift my mood. Doing this tends to balance out my moods and make the up and down swings of emotional life a little bit easier. It cuts out the variance in experiencing emotions, allowing one to maintain the middle ground while staying away from the extremes. I believe there is long term benefit for this.
Why do you bring down the highs?

·
Banned
1,798 Posts
To make my lows more bearable and easier. I don't need a super high high I think its unnecessary. I am satisfied with a medium high. But I need to help in recovering from my lows so thats where I need to make adjustments and the best way is to take from my high. I keep doing this until my highs and lows are perfectly balanced in according to my environment. In theory if you keep balancing this your highs and lows are no different from one another and you will eventually be indifferent to emotions. This kind of mindset is talked about in Buddhism teaching and I believe my method is one way of achieving it. It's basically thinking about your emotions as parts of one entire experience instead of single individual ones. Due to the subjective nature of emotions it is possible to experience multiple levels of emotions due to different levels of thinking. Thus is it important to keep your entire spectrum of emotions in check even when dealing with individual events for balancing purposes. The benefit of doing this is to negate the spiraling negativity when depressed and also the bipolar frenzy of excitement when happy. Both extremes to me are equality unhealthy and I remedy it using my said method.

·
Registered
450 Posts
marimeli said:
Because there is a crash effect. I tend to do the same thing though just enough to keep me in perspective. You can't have something for nothing. I prefer to keep at least in the general realm of mental stability (peace, inner harmony) over happiness.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
To make my lows more bearable and easier. I don't need a super high high I think its unnecessary. I am satisfied with a medium high. But I need to help in recovering from my lows so thats where I need to make adjustments and the best way is to take from my high. I keep doing this until my highs and lows are perfectly balanced in according to my environment. In theory if you keep balancing this your highs and lows are no different from one another and you will eventually be indifferent to emotions. This kind of mindset is talked about in Buddhism teaching and I believe my method is one way of achieving it. It's basically thinking about your emotions as parts of one entire experience instead of single individual ones. Due to the subjective nature of emotions it is possible to experience multiple levels of emotions due to different levels of thinking. Thus is it important to keep your entire spectrum of emotions in check even when dealing with individual events for balancing purposes. The benefit of doing this is to negate the spiraling negativity when depressed and also the bipolar frenzy of excitement when happy. Both extremes to me are equality unhealthy and I remedy it using my said method.
It's a totally interesting point of view. Fascinating, even, because that sounds like my personal idea of hell. Modulating my emotions like that to take out the extremes of emotional experience would feel a little bit, to me, like deliberately blinding myself. It would never have occurred to me that someone would find it desirable. I'm not criticizing your idea; I see the value in it for you, and the benefit you describe. And either way, some control over the process is absolutely necessary. I like to experience the extreme highs and lows because it teaches me things about the world and myself and my relationship to it, but I must be able to rein them in when I need to (like you can't take your deep depression with you to work). I guess, instead of making moderation a constant goal to strive for, I make it a tool.

Thank you for giving me this to think about. :)

Reactions: theorycraft

·
Registered
450 Posts
marimeli said:
It's a totally interesting point of view. Fascinating, even, because that sounds like my personal idea of hell. Modulating my emotions like that to take out the extremes of emotional experience would feel a little bit, to me, like deliberately blinding myself. It would never have occurred to me that someone would find it desirable. I'm not criticizing your idea; I see the value in it for you, and the benefit you describe. And either way, some control over the process is absolutely necessary. I like to experience the extreme highs and lows because it teaches me things about the world and myself and my relationship to it, but I must be able to rein them in when I need to (like you can't take your deep depression with you to work). I guess, instead of making moderation a constant goal to strive for, I make it a tool.

Thank you for giving me this to think about. :)
You would only register it as "hell" because it "feels" like a hell. Though true hell is swinging so wildly like theorycraft mentioned as you can't freaking think. Its not to say there isn't a place for emotion just the cost is normally too great for a little momentary pleasure. I'd also wager that since our (NT) norm mode IS via thinking that we oddly feel more and more of it sincerely (when there). Its like some guy hiding out in a cave all pale. Then if he decides to get out his pasty flesh just chars off in the sun, lol. At most he burns up in flames but for the most part he usually just ends up with a bad sunburn.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I do, but I need a new hack. I could burn my posterior and not be as hurt as a few small, nuanced things that just really disturb me subconsciously. When it happens, something in the left side of my brain (at my temple, right behind my ear, and at two points closer to the top of my head to be specific) burns with some sort of walled-up, concentrated rage or disturbance. It's like those portions of braincells tighten together to conspire, but I can't hear them without allowing myself to be selfish.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I do, but I need a new hack. I could burn my posterior and not be as hurt as a few small, nuanced things that just really disturb me subconsciously. When it happens, something in the left side of my brain (at my temple, right behind my ear, and at two points closer to the top of my head to be specific) burns with some sort of walled-up, concentrated rage or disturbance. It's like those portions of braincells tighten together to conspire, but I can't hear them without allowing myself to be selfish.
This is interesting but cryptic. Do you have any examples?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts