Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Based on experience...

Don't kick me please..Sorry, sorry, sorry if this isn't good enough :sad:

ISTJ- Disciplined in overcoming indecision and getting things done faster. Able to be objective in order to preserve honor, traditions and duty. Order oriented, practical and loyal. Exceptional work ethics (in any line of work). Often hides actual emotional depth and sensitivity.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Based on experience...

Don't kick me please..Sorry, sorry, sorry if this isn't good enough :sad:

ISTJ- Disciplined in overcoming indecision and getting things done faster. Able to be objective in order to preserve honor, traditions and duty. Order oriented, practical and loyal. Exceptional work ethics (in any line of work). Often hides actual emotional depth and sensitivity.

That's better than most of the ones I've seen on the web for us. I'll leave it to my ISTJ brothers and sisters to further critique. As for me, I'm likin' it.

Btw I'm glad to see you're no longer sad. Is Dreamy your NF mode ?

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
It's accurate, but not complete. Looks like a copy and paste...or did you make it up?:cool:

Reactions: Sela

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes I know he seems serious most of the time but he has that warm, squishy side :crazy:

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can even summarize some aspect of him in my own words;

Him - ''I keep my word even when I am quiet. I hate betrayal and broken vows, so I don't make promises easily. When I care about you, I am still around even when I don't say it. When I see a loved one in pain, I plan and strategize so that I can show how much I care. I am alone at times, but I am still aware of people. I don't like being judgmental, but I don't like being careless. I like being helpful, but I want to be respected for it. Just because I act like I am okay, doesn't mean I am okay with being talked down to. Show me your loyalty and I will care about you for life.''

Can you relate? :crazy:

·
Registered
228 Posts
I hate tradition when it's useless; that is to say, most of the time. I have a tendency of procrastinating more than I would like to (just like I am doing at this moment), so I don't get things done very quickly.

That definiton seems like a fitting, concise portrayal of an ISTJ.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Here's my mini analysis based on my ISTJ partner:

Honest, loyal and true with a generally easy disposition that is friendly albeit a little reserved to begin with.
When he says something, he actually means it. Always very direct and to the point but tends to always see the negative initially. Has a great deal of trouble expressing positives / praise verbally but always demonstrates through his actions but often verbalizes his disappointments / negative feelings in a very venomous tone which appears deadly although rarely is. Again; his actions are what really count.

When he allows you the privilege of truly knowing him intimately and you take the time to understand as well as accept him as he is; he is the true knight in shining armor.

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
I hate tradition when it's useless; that is to say, most of the time. I have a tendency of procrastinating more than I would like to (just like I am doing at this moment), so I don't get things done very quickly.

That definiton seems like a fitting, concise portrayal of an ISTJ.
The ISTJ definition is too broad. I think ISTJ is often stretched into values, and not just tendencies being symptoms of those 4 functions. To say ISTJ has a substantial effect on things like opinion of tradition, politics, ideology is probably only a case of probability due to a trend (I don't know enough to go into details). MBTI is limited. Values and opinions are formed from real world experience, and we all know each person's is different. I feel more comfortable stereotyping the enneagram for this reason as it covers levels of mental health to help make sense of variations of a type(which I don't know why MBTI doesn't do, probably for good reason), but not to downplay the similarities in us ISTJ's too much.

·
Registered
250 Posts
The ISTJ definition is too broad. I think ISTJ is often stretched into values, and not just tendencies being symptoms of those 4 functions. To say ISTJ has a substantial effect on things like opinion of tradition, politics, ideology is probably only a case of probability due to a trend (I don't know enough to go into details). MBTI is limited. Values and opinions are formed from real world experience, and we all know each person's is different. I feel more comfortable stereotyping the enneagram for this reason as it covers levels of mental health to help make sense of variations of a type(which I don't know why MBTI doesn't do, probably for good reason), but not to downplay the similarities in us ISTJ's too much.
The enneagram is indeed a great tool for self-growth and/or understanding others due to the various mental-health stages described within it. It's quite easy to see the variances. I believe that comprehending MBTI different processes / reasons however offers better opportunity to actually understand the how and why of the personality and although they may be broad definitions, I like being able to see what's going on. The how and why?

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
The enneagram is indeed a great tool for self-growth and/or understanding others due to the various mental-health stages described within it. It's quite easy to see the variances. I believe that comprehending MBTI different processes / reasons however offers better opportunity to actually understand the how and why of the personality and although they may be broad definitions, I like being able to see what's going on. The how and why?
The MBTI visions of ISTJ overstep their boundaries and venture away from how the functions effect one and other, but ventures into opinions and ideologies.

Thats great that you favor the cause and effect of MBTI.

I find it hard to weigh the understanding of one over the other considering I believe they are both at play. They each have their place, and that role shouldn't be blurred too much.

·
Registered
250 Posts
The MBTI visions of ISTJ overstep their boundaries and venture away from how the functions effect one and other, but ventures into opinions and ideologies.

Thats great that you favor the cause and effect of MBTI.

I find it hard to weigh the understanding of one over the other considering I believe they are both at play. They each have their place, and that role shouldn't be blurred too much.
I think that you may find different types (MBTI) may favor one over the other or some types may truly appreciate both as well as various other methods, etc. It really depends upon how they process as well as execute / act regarding what they prefer. (I don't know enough about it really to make an informed decision)

It's all certainly very interesting and makes life and/or relationships a little easier to understand as well as navigate through. Oops but then I do actually prefer being spontaneous!!!Helps me to better understand my ISTJ other half though!At least when I annoy him these days; it's intentional!!!:crazy:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Thanks...I didn't think that they did.
What I am saying is that perhaps an individual's specific preferences to different typologies may be due to the variations in personality types.

Getting back to the broad definitions discussion; I have found that are quite a few overlaps and/or differences of which environment and life experience too plays a significant part. We do tend to revert to an innate-self under certain situations.It's also interesting to look at the shadows as these often are good indications of personality types too. ie: under extreme stress type xxxx tends to do this....etc

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Thanks...I didn't think that they did.
What I am saying is that perhaps an individual's specific preferences to different typologies may be due to the variations in personality types.
It's not about type when it comes to believing theories. I'll reference back to this thread: http://personalitycafe.com/istj-forum-duty-fulfillers/33228-when-your-personality-created.html

Getting back to the broad definitions discussion; I have found that are quite a few overlaps and/or differences of which environment and life experience too plays a significant part. We do tend to revert to an innate-self under certain situations.It's also interesting to look at the shadows as these often are good indications of personality types too. ie: under extreme stress type xxxx tends to do this....etc
When the functions are to blame for the effect, but other things people say is "because they're ISTJ" but the occurrence has nothing to do with MBTI. e.g. someone will say "ISTJ's can be (or are) very closed minded" I would argue the less healthy a type 1 can make them more likely to be set on an opinion therefore closed minded, and type 5's are much less likely to carry such a belief about the initial opinion.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
It's not about type when it comes to believing theories. I'll reference back to this thread: http://personalitycafe.com/istj-forum-duty-fulfillers/33228-when-your-personality-created.html

When the functions are to blame for the effect, but other things people say is "because they're ISTJ" but the occurrence has nothing to do with MBTI. e.g. someone will say "ISTJ's can be (or are) very closed minded" I would argue the less healthy a type 1 can make them more likely to be set on an opinion therefore closed minded, and type 5's are much less likely to carry such a belief about the initial opinion.
While I don't think it is about type when belief in certain theories is discussed, I can see type influencing this tendency, to some degree.

I've found that ISTJ's tend to be what others would call "closed minded," regardless of enneagram type. I do find that type 5's are less rigid in this tendency, but the tendency still exists. Don't forget, ISTJ's that are type 5's tend to be split with a preference for type 1 also--the 5 preference is just a little bit stronger.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
I can even summarize some aspect of him in my own words;

Him - ''I keep my word even when I am quiet. I hate betrayal and broken vows, so I don't make promises easily. When I care about you, I am still around even when I don't say it. When I see a loved one in pain, I plan and strategize so that I can show how much I care. I am alone at times, but I am still aware of people. I don't like being judgmental, but I don't like being careless. I like being helpful, but I want to be respected for it. Just because I act like I am okay, doesn't mean I am okay with being talked down to. Show me your loyalty and I will care about you for life.''

Can you relate? :crazy:
Exactly describes me. It's part of the reason I had to refrain from getting cough medicine for this girl I like. :blushed: She's not for me.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts