Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has nothing to do with personality but. . . Have any of you experienced or witnessed miracles? I can start with mine to give an example.
When I was 12, I had appendicitis. I remember being very sick and vomiting and went to the emergency room and had an ultrasound. They told me I had appendicitis and the scheduled surgery. I dont know when they planned on doung rhw surgery but I remember coming home and my Grandmother prayed for me and I was healed. I did not have a surgery. I went back to the doctor and they said it was gone and I didnt need surgery. That was pretty cool

Another miracle is more recent. I went througha very stressful year where I had marriage issues and my grandma died suddenly. I became very sick. I geot this horrible fatugue and digestion issues. I found out I have celiacs and stopped eating gluten but just got a little bettter. I was so tired that I couldnt functionand felt really weak. I was diagnosed with mixed connective tissue disease which is autoimmune. I started medication, i still was tired and weak. I had to get FMLA paperwork to reduce my work to 2 days a week. I had adrenal fatigue. I started a paleo diet and have been doing different things to get better. Symptoms stated may 2016. I got worse to the point of stage 3 adrenal fatigue. I went to part time in October 2017. Fast forward to this summer 2019. I just got a new job working full time 40 hours a week and was working my old job on the weekends, so 2 jobs for 2 months. I am feeling almost normal and work out 2 days a week and can keep up with a pretty busy schedule. Previously, I coukd have never done that. I though I may not ever work full time again. Thats a miracle. The fact that I am working 50 hours a week and still feel pretty functional. Im still getting better, Im not where I was previously but getting there. Just because it takes time, dosnt mean its not a miracle. Most people in my state of health would have been disabled permanently. I know all of this because I am a healthcare provider. Thats also how I figured out the multiple diagnoses quicker. There was a lot morw going on health wise but I didnt want to lose people in the details.

I give full credit to God for all of this and more blessings I didnt mention.
So anyone have some good stories of miracles?

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Personally I feel that attributing such wonderful things to miracles and God only diminishes how incredible the world around us appears. To me, experiences like that serve as a humbling reminder of just how complex, beautiful, and powerful this nature we are a part of really is, reinforcing that we truly understand so relatively little of it and that we owe it far more respect.

My mother recently suffered from a daunting variety of health issues at once, though I won't go into all the details here. Even a year ago she thought she would be forever somewhat disabled, certainly that her running years were over, but now the two of us are going out and training together and she keeps saying how incredible it is to run again. (And of course just be overall up to anything again.) She worked very hard to take care of herself, even if she wasn't terrible hopeful. It's amazing how resilient the body can be.

·
Banned
3,344 Posts
Personally I feel that attributing such wonderful things to miracles and God only diminishes how incredible the world around us appears. To me, experiences like that serve as a humbling reminder of just how complex, beautiful, and powerful this nature we are a part of really is, reinforcing that we truly understand so relatively little of it and that we owe it far more respect.
Wonder is a subjective experience; it's not the world that is wonderful in itself, but our ignorance of it that produce the experience.
The first time you stare down the Niagara falls, you may be amazed at the sight, but as you grow accustomed to the sight, staring at it for hours, days, and years, it becomes all too familiar, and takes the wonderment away from it, because it has quite a different origin. The experience of the sublime, reaches beyond the world, beyond the finite to the unbounded, and is produced from our inability to present the world to ourselves and where our grasp of proportion of what we are faced with fails (and therefore also any grasp of how powerful it is, which when on the contrary grasped diminishes the feeling of awe), and is confronted with the notion of the unbounded, with the metaphysical notions that lie as the foundation of respect (in the moral sense of the word, and not the physical, which is that of fear, and of which humbleness is merely the caution of narrow self interest, whereas the former is the source of true principled humility) which elevates our existence above the merely physical and through it overcomes the feeling of terror, which is not what the sublime consists of, but the contrast between the feeling of being confronted with something fearful, and the feeling of being beyond it's reach, by being part of the unbounded, rather than the physical, which when in it's entirety (the world) is conceived of as subordinate to the moral reality in such a way gives us the concept of God.

This "respect" of the physical, powerful enough to destroy the body, but not the soul - is as Socrates explains, false and worthless wisdom, in the light of the value in avoiding unrighteousness that may so often contrast with the worthless wisdom of the world.

Reactions: Six

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Euclid, that was eloquent. I actually dont know much about philosophy in general but that video makes me want to learn more! And yes, I agree that the reason why the word seems so wonderful is because God has made it and it then helps us to connect to the divine and the infinite. The more I study and learn the intricacies of life humans, biology, the more I see God and connect to the one who made it all. It sometimes is quite overwhelming.

·
Banned
6 Posts
Outstanding thread.

Yeah. Ive witnessed and experienced miracles. From a bicycle rolling forth by itself, to physical healings, up to life view changes and finally onness with Him in spirit.

I dont really know whats the deal in having that all in my sphere of observation, but yes, overwhelmin is a word to describe the magnitude of it. Peacefullness would be another. Then bliss. And perhaps finally or the beginning of the ultimate connectivness. But not the imaginery one.

:))

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Every action has an equal and opposite reaction. Does a Devine intervention have a cost? Does being rescued from the edge of hell mean someone fell in as you were pulled out?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Shrodingers drink: ummm no! Do you have any concept of divine grace? Mercy? If course miracles do not have a 'consequence' or 'opposite reaction'. The equal and opposite reaction is true but dies not apply to everything! Its only true about some things. Like 'you reap what you sow' that does apply in many situations but not always.

·
Banned
34 Posts
Yes. Its when you can no longer take the neg intensity or expansive neg continuity of something you get a lift up. Its as if the universe was this organism with receptors that could know what is too much for each person at any given time.

It can be subtle, or clear.

But the way you can judge its origins is based on if it agitates you or it calms you down.

Very deep subject. Deepest.

·
Registered
272 Posts
no such thing as miracles.... if anything it just says more about your character and willingness not to roll over and give up and fight on to me..

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did not start this thread as a question do you believe in miracles. It was meant fir those who have experienced them and a way for me to hear some other interesting stories. It was also not meant to debate whether God is real or not because thats a whole other debate that I am not eilling to have in a forum such as this. Just read a book about it or not. If you do want to debate, let me just point you to two books who answered this topic more eloquently than I can. "Mere christanity" by C.S. Lewis and "The case for Christ" by Lee Strobel.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Interesting thread, and very interesting to hear what you've been through too. I haven't experienced anything as extreme as what you've experienced, but have definitely experienced God working in my life in different ways.

·
Registered
ENFP
4,206 Posts
Yes, I have. I won't explain the details (most people will dismiss it anyway as people are so detached from their spiritual side- they'll discount anything remotely positive about it). I had a few times where I could've died in a few car collisions as a child/teenager. And when I did the results were always at least one or a group of decent samaritans, after the fact (or maybe during?). Call it serendipity or whatever, but miracles do happen. We sometimes meet people at the right place and the right time that changes our lives forever.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts