Personality Cafe banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The semester recently started and I have two classes with this woman. I have been told I look quite cold, monotone and can seem pretentious which is the source of my anxiety. By all means, I am not a shy person. I just prefer to analyze a situation to avoid being shot down and making an awkward 16 weeks.

Anywho, this lady has recently begun sitting next to my routine seat for no obvious reason. She's constantly adjusting herself--hair, hands in lap, pulling her shorts lower while sitting down next to me(this confuses me. Wouldn't a woman who is attracted to a man want to reveal more skin?). Whenever I glance--glance, not leer--she practically crumbles. Becomes disorganized, flustered, flushed.

So currently I can't draw a clear line. Does she believe I'm a rapist, or that I am sexually attractive And does anybody have a similar story?

·
Banned
1,956 Posts
The semester recently started and I have two classes with this woman. I have been told I look quite cold, monotone and can seem pretentious which is the source of my anxiety. By all means, I am not a shy person. I just prefer to analyze a situation to avoid being shot down and making an awkward 16 weeks.

Anywho, this lady has recently begun sitting next to my routine seat for no obvious reason. She's constantly adjusting herself--hair, hands in lap, pulling her shorts lower while sitting down next to me(this confuses me. Wouldn't a woman who is attracted to a man want to reveal more skin?). Whenever I glance--glance, not leer--she practically crumbles. Becomes disorganized, flustered, flushed.

So currently I can't draw a clear line. Does she believe I'm a rapist, or that I am sexually attractive And does anybody have a similar story?

You never said if you like her? Assuming you do then ask her for coffee to talk about the class. Get into another environment so you can get better signals like distance, eye contact, etc. regardless if she likes you or not its still okay for you to tell her you think she is cool or whatever.

You have to widen your friends list because even if a women wouldn't date you she has no trouble trying to hook you up with her friends.

·
MOTM Feb 2010
4,773 Posts
Have you tried talking to her? Maybe introduce yourself? You realize that this is perfectly normal, expected behavior, so there is nothing wrong with doing so. Chit-chat a bit and see how things go. If the body language is hard to read, try reading her spoken language. Also, in an albeit brief conversation, you can look for cues like smiles, eye contact and fidgeting, which may reveal more about the possibilities of future interaction.

·
Registered
689 Posts
She wants you deep inside of her, sweetheart.

I kid.
What other mannerisms have you noticed from her? Eye-contact?

Here's a little test: Give her something to mirror.
Try and make your way into small talk. While doing this, give attention to her mannerisms and try to be aware of your own. Look for mirroring in her behavior.
This isn't the "End-all, be-all" to her wanting to fuck you. If anything, it'll just mean that she doesn't think you're a rapist.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
This happens to but as in extroverted way. I so welcoming and energetic that when I am very serious sometimes I get ignored that I am not serious.

·
Registered
382 Posts
she may just be a very nervy person,, you may wana look for other signs which may say she likes you.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You never said if you like her?
I only like her physically. In terms of intellect, I feel that she is terribly underdeveloped. I'm sure she has some substance, but outwardly it's a lost cause.

It sounds to me that she isn't interested in you.
I don't doubt it. I am only curious because of how ambiguous the concept of body language actually is. Even if she is interested in me, I doubt I would actively pursue her more for anything other than sex.

What other mannerisms have you noticed from her? Eye-contact?
I haven't taken much personal interest in her; I only found it odd that I can simply look at someone and have them completely nervous. Come Tuesday, I'll make small talk with her for simple giggles.

she may just be a very nervy person
That's what I'm thinking as well. We're in a public speaking class, and I'm pretty confident that the bulk of her anxiety is a fight or flight response to being called on.

·
Banned
557 Posts
I only like her physically. In terms of intellect, I feel that she is terribly underdeveloped. I'm sure she has some substance, but outwardly it's a lost cause.

I don't doubt it. I am only curious because of how ambiguous the concept of body language actually is. Even if she is interested in me, I doubt I would actively pursue her more for anything other than sex.

I haven't taken much personal interest in her; I only found it odd that I can simply look at someone and have them completely nervous. Come Tuesday, I'll make small talk with her for simple giggles.

That's what I'm thinking as well. We're in a public speaking class, and I'm pretty confident that the bulk of her anxiety is a fight or flight response to being called on.
Hmm, you should delve deeper into this situation and see what you find. If she's going to be sitting by you for a long time, at the very least try to "buddy up". Try and make conversation with her, relate to her, etc. For heavens' sake, don't just act like a brick wall towards her. Social networking is always a plus. It's nice to hear the engaging and melodious sounds of conversation rather than eerie silence...

·
Banned
1,105 Posts
It doesn't sound like she's interested. If anything, she may be picking up on your feelings that her intellect is terribly underdeveloped.

·
Registered
179 Posts
First, if you're not really interested in her, then it shouldn't matter if she likes, loves or hates you.

Second, as for the body language in general. I take all that info with a grain of salt. I speak from personal experience about this. When I was just getting out of high school there was this girl in my neighborhood that I would run into about once a week. Man did I have a crush on her, so I watched all her movements, and then went and read all kinds of info on how if she exposes her neck, or looks this way or that way, etc etc. it means she like me.

Long story short, she did 95% of the positive things that I read about, and so one day I finally got the nerve to ask her out, and it turned out she was just a supper happy person because she was getting married in a couple of months. (Which she did)

So if you are interested in her, just ask her, if not, don't think too much about it.

Plus, I say this in a nice way...the sooner you learn you can't figure a women out, the better.

Have a nice day!

SirDude

·
Registered
139 Posts
You don't like her, you like her body. Big difference.
Chances are she's picked up on this.

The fact that she's nervous around you probably means she hasn't had many good experiences with guys, and/or her confidence is shot. You making a move on her but disrespecting her would be cruel.

And yeah.. body language only goes so far.. I wouldn't really think about it unless it was a direct conversation. Different temperaments are going to express stuff differently.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I could very well be wrong but it certainly appears that she may actually like, she just happens to be extraordinarily introverted...

She may have sat next to you in an effort to somehow get you to notice her.
hair twirling, constant clothing adjustment, and similar such things can be interpreted as a sort of constant inner anxiety, in this case the likely cause being you...constantly going over and over in her head whether or not you like her...
And the glancing thing is the most obvious of all, when she attempts to steal glances at you she could be doing it to see if you are indeed looking back at her, and when you do, she sees showing her interest in you to be too forward and she may fear that you will think she is a bit odd so she desperately tries to pretend that she was not indeed staring at you but doing some other flustered activity.

Granted I could be wrong about all this but it seems to me that she is interested in you... especially is she randomly started sitting next to you. (I know from personal experience that is generally a sign that they want you to notice them and but want you to make the first move.)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.