Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
INFJ 2w1
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi hi. So up until now, meaning for more or less 9 years, I thought I was a Sensor. Specifically an ISTJ. Y'know, I was duty-oriented, responsible, introverted, I remembered everything in detail, facts and truth are all I believe and care of, I would poo-poo on Intuitives' weird ideas, I loved being thought of the guy that knew it all like a database blah blah blah, but the main reason I thought I was an ISTJ, aside from the duty-oriented thing was that I think a lot of the time. =/ Not even about the future, just how to improve current things I'm doing in the moment. Improving schedules I put on myself, cooking, projects I'm working on at home or work etc. Therefore I thought I was a Thinker. Feelings were something I believed were a problem I needed to control and I did so through critical thinking and self analysis. I also tended to tell people what to do or not do and HAD to give my advice or feedback to protect people from themselves. I had objectives and goals that I tried achieving.

Limits were very important for me too as they guided me to know how far I could go and if I was growing or not. I like Sensor stuff too. Games and food are things Sensors enjoy right? I could eat an entire grocery bag of junk food in a night of playing games or watching movies.

Things have changed though. I don't eat a lot of junk food anymore. I care more about and research food that improve my health. Been eating olives a lot more lately because I read they're great for the brain and for vitamin E lol. I don't care about the past anymore as it doesn't help me grow. I don't try to forget it though or run from it. I still find that information useful. But I used to look back on it for the feels and to know how much I've grown. I don't give advice as much as I used to. Much less social now. I used to be around people all the time to the point I thought I was ESTJ originally. Now I'm fully aware of my limitations for being social.

What hasn't changed was that I have this ability to know people's feelings and where they originated. It got to a point where I believed I could switch "lenses" to see what a person was feeling or thinking during a conversation in real time. I still want to improve people in order to make them happier in their own lives. I tend to predict bad situations arising from things I worry may become a habit or consistent which I used to believe was inferior Ne. I used to fear the future and try to make it as safe for me and others as possible by thinking of possible situations and preparing for them accordingly. Don't ISTJs do that?

A lot of things I did was different from ISTJs, but I just thought I was an ISTJ that grew out of the ISTJ box. =/ Also I had a friend who was an INFJ or an INTJ and an ENTP who I learned a ton from growing up. When I did the MBTI tests I would get ESTJ, ISTJ and ISTP. Mostly ISTJ. I only got INFJ once.

According to my ENFP wife, INFJs don't always know themselves, tend to be really good at socializing and understand people, tend to be type 2's and get with ENFPs lol. Thoughts on any of this?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Maybe you are an ISTJ. Also, just curious, how confident are you in your ability to experience others' inner sensatoins?

·
Registered
INFJ 2w1
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe you are an ISTJ. Also, just curious, how confident are you in your ability to experience others' inner sensatoins?
Pretty confident. I know I'm not right all the time unlike what posts about INFJs tend to make them look. Psychic and all that. But pretty confident with a grain of salt.

Tell me if I'm wrong, when you said, "Maybe you are an ISTJ", you didn't fully believe in that idea. You said it as a possibility rather than a certainty.

Sometimes when people say "maybe" they're trying to cushion the blow before the person hears (or reads) what's about to be said in order to open to their mind to other possibilities that might not be easily accepted.

This is everything I felt from your response.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Pretty confident. I know I'm not right all the time unlike what posts about INFJs tend to make them look. Psychic and all that. But pretty confident with a grain of salt.

Tell me if I'm wrong, when you said, "Maybe you are an ISTJ", you didn't fully believe in that idea. You said it as a possibility rather than a certainty.

Sometimes when people say "maybe" they're trying to cushion the blow before the person hears (or reads) what's about to be said in order to open to their mind to other possibilities that might not be easily accepted.

This is everything I felt from your response.
Exactly. It's not a certainty. That's the point of the word "maybe", as you pointed out.

·
Registered
INFJ 2w1
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Exactly. It's not a certainty. That's the point of the word "maybe", as you pointed out.
Sometimes people use "maybe" to give hope of other possibilities as an attempt to not look like they're picking sides or show their personal opinion, but in actuality they believe in what they say. You could have said, "maybe you're an ISTJ", but actually believe with certainty that I am an ISTJ. I do this sometimes. But I didn't feel that from you.

Why were you curious about my confidence in my ability to feel others' feelings?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Sometimes people use "maybe" to give hope of other possibilities as an attempt to not look like they're picking sides or show their personal opinion, but in actuality they believe in what they say. You could have said, "maybe you're an ISTJ", but actually believe with certainty that I am an ISTJ. I do this sometimes. But I didn't feel that from you.

Why were you curious about my confidence in my ability to feel others' feelings?
You brought it up, and I found it interesting. It is common for one to believe that they are good at interacting with and recognizing their own emotions, but less so for one to have high confidence in their empathy.

·
Registered
INFJ 2w1
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You brought it up, and I found it interesting. It is common for one to believe that they are good at interacting with and recognizing their own emotions, but less so for one to have high confidence in their empathy.
I see. People do seem to understand people's feelings though, regardless of them having confidence in their empathy. It just seems like it only works when negative emotions are expressed visibly or when they're trying to achieve an objective and their empathy becomes useful. Otherwise people for me seem to be self-centered. Which would align with what you said about people believing they understand themselves better than they understand others. It's less likely for a person who has been self-centered all their life to understand or care about other's feelings.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I see. People do seem to understand people's feelings though, regardless of them having confidence in their empathy. It just seems like it only works when negative emotions are expressed visibly or when they're trying to achieve an objective and their empathy becomes useful. Otherwise people for me seem to be self-centered. Which would align with what you said about people believing they understand themselves better than they understand others. It's less likely for a person who has been self-centered all their life to understand or care about other's feelings.
Yep. It is usually easier to develop and express one's own emotions than to read and process the emotions of others'.

And what I mean by empathy is being able to step into their position. An external, somewhat quantitative evaluation of what someone might be feeling is not really empathy.

·
Registered
INFJ 2w1
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep. It is usually easier to develop and express one's own emotions than to read and process the emotions of others'.

And what I mean by empathy is being able to step into their position. An external, somewhat quantitative evaluation of what someone might be feeling is not really empathy.
Oh, yeah, seeing people upset doesn't necessarily get to me, I need to understand what happened. If it's heartbreak from a breakup, I can relate. If it's a Kim Kardashian thing where the person is crying because they lost a $75,000 ear ring after spending the day at the beach, I'm going home, I'm leaving.

·
Registered
INFJ 2w1
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hubs, you are an INFJ.
I know you.

I think you just misunderstood the functions.

You are so Fe, it’s the most obvious thang. No way are you Fi at all.

I even told you that you never seemed like an ISTJ. You’re just too nice and way too considerate of other people.
Drat, she found me!

Reactions: Inis Mona

·
Premium Member
INFJ 4w3 sp/sx
1,533 Posts
INFJ and ISTJ have a completely different set of functions. It is not impossible, but it is kind of weird for an INFJ to get mistyped as ISTJ at first (I’m assuming you were taking into account all the cognitive functions and not only MBTI dichotomies. If you were only taking into account the dichotomies, forget everything I said).

Have you considered ISFJ as an option? It would make more sense for an ISFJ to mistake themselves for ISTJ than it would for an INFJ.

Reactions: Zeri

·
Registered
INFJ 2w1
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
INFJ and ISTJ have a completely different set of functions. It is not impossible, but it is kind of weird for an INFJ to get mistyped as ISTJ at first (I’m assuming you were taking into account all the cognitive functions and not only MBTI dichotomies. If you were only taking into account the dichotomies, forget everything I said).

Have you considered ISFJ as an option? It would make more sense for an ISFJ to mistake themselves for ISTJ than it would for an INFJ.
I'll be honest, all I've done to really figure out my type was take the MBTI test on that 16personalities website. Not too confident on my knowledge on the functions even though I've done my best to understand them all.

I've always been curious about Ni and no place really seemed to explain it in a way I could understand. I used to think I was a Sensor because of all the sensory stuff I do. I enjoy cooking, dancing randomly, instrumental music, cleaning when I have to, sewing when I have to. And I wouldn't say I have gut feelings like Intuitives. Actually, I do my best to resist my gut feelings as I don't consider them to be 100% accurate. I see them more like my mind is helping me think of other possibilities. But those ideas always pop in my head. For anything. =/ I just think, analyze and predict in order to prepare for the future.

I would connect things to my childhood sometimes when I felt something or saw something that reminded me of it, but not so much anymore. I've always tried to improve myself somehow. Growth is future focussed. I used to care about tradition, but when I saw the flaws in doing so and how you may get stuck doing something possibly wrong just because everyone else was doing it and doing it for a long time wasn't enough of a reason to follow the crowd. I've never really followed the crowd, but did take into consideration what they would do.

I've considered ISFJ, but I know ISFJs and I don't feel like I'm a similar to them. They seem to care a lot more about gender roles than I do and have higher attachment to their family. I could live on this Earth alone and I'm not one to live super close to my family. I'm very willing to move far away to live in the best conditions available to me.

I've heard of INFJs door slamming people which I believe I do. =/ I remember door slamming since I was 11 or 12 lol.

·
Premium Member
INFJ 4w3 sp/sx
1,533 Posts
I'll be honest, all I've done to really figure out my type was take the MBTI test on that 16personalities website. Not too confident on my knowledge on the functions even though I've done my best to understand them all.

I've always been curious about Ni and no place really seemed to explain it in a way I could understand. I used to think I was a Sensor because of all the sensory stuff I do. I enjoy cooking, dancing randomly, instrumental music, cleaning when I have to, sewing when I have to. And I wouldn't say I have gut feelings like Intuitives. Actually, I do my best to resist my gut feelings as I don't consider them to be 100% accurate. I see them more like my mind is helping me think of other possibilities. But those ideas always pop in my head. For anything. =/ I just think, analyze and predict in order to prepare for the future.

I would connect things to my childhood sometimes when I felt something or saw something that reminded me of it, but not so much anymore. I've always tried to improve myself somehow. Growth is future focussed. I used to care about tradition, but when I saw the flaws in doing so and how you may get stuck doing something possibly wrong just because everyone else was doing it and doing it for a long time wasn't enough of a reason to follow the crowd. I've never really followed the crowd, but did take into consideration what they would do.

I've considered ISFJ, but I know ISFJs and I don't feel like I'm a similar to them. They seem to care a lot more about gender roles than I do and have higher attachment to their family. I could live on this Earth alone and I'm not one to live super close to my family. I'm very willing to move far away to live in the best conditions available to me.

I've heard of INFJs door slamming people which I believe I do. =/ I remember door slamming since I was 11 or 12 lol.
I can't say I really relate to the things you have described. All that stuff you mentioned about being into sensorial details and sewing - that has always been a nightmare to me (and I'm female, lol). One of my mottos has always been "spare me of the details" because of how sucky I am with sensor-related stuff/activities.

I also don't see myself in any way as a people-pleaser or someone overly focused on the needs of others, but that probably has more to do with Enneagram than with MBTI (thinking about it, it probably does because now I see you self-type as a 2).

That being said, typing yourself is your call. If you feel INFJ resonates more with you, so be it. There is a lot of variation between people of the same type and what one INFJ experiences won't be the same as what the other INFJ experiences.

Reactions: Weiss

·
Registered
INFJ 2w1
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I can't say I really relate to the things you have described. All that stuff you mentioned about being into sensorial details and sewing - that has always been a nightmare to me (and I'm female, lol). One of my mottos has always been "spare me of the details" because of how sucky I am with sensor-related stuff/activities.

I also don't see myself in any way as a people-pleaser or someone overly focused on the needs of others, but that probably has more to do with Enneagram than with MBTI (thinking about it, it probably does because now I see you self-type as a 2).

That being said, typing yourself is your call. If you feel INFJ resonates more with you, so be it. There is a lot of variation between people of the same type and what one INFJ experiences won't be the same as what the other INFJ experiences.
I appreciate your input and will keep it in mind.

·
Registered
202 Posts

Try taking a different test. 16p theory is quite similar to some parts of MBTI, but it's not going to or trying to cover the exact same things. Also, don't throw a type out of the question because you're not like a few particular ones you know.

·
Registered
INFJ 2w1
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Try taking a different test. 16p theory is quite similar to some parts of MBTI, but it's not going to or trying to cover the exact same things. Also, don't throw a type out of the question because you're not like a few particular ones you know.
Yeah you're right, I shouldn't throw a type out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
@Weiss

The original post was too long, so I'm going off of the headline alone. Fair enough — I doubt even Grammarly would correct the error if you mistyped INFJ.

·
Registered
INFJ 2w1
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
@Weiss

The original post was too long, so I'm going off of the headline alone. Fair enough — I doubt even Grammarly would correct the error if you mistyped INFJ.
Lol. :sneaky:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts